JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Brussel Sprouts are definitely an acquired taste! This is a method I developed to take some of the nasty off of them.
Wash and cut in half lengthwise.
In a small pot cover with Chicken Stock and simmer until crisp/tender.
Drain thoroughly and add a good pat of butter.
S&P to taste.
Throw in a handful of coursely chopped roasted pistachio nuts, gently stir and serve.
If you get stuck eating the things on holidays try this out, it helps a lot! :p

I ate many a pot of Salmon Head stew. I just avoided the head. My Finnish grandmother loved the eyes and cheeks. :p

Ah, the childhood memories of butchering days...

Beefheart? Yum! Tongue? Ditto! Liver? I prayed it was not raining, because I literally had to leave the house when it was cooking to avoid projectile vomiting. No matter how it was prepared, I could never stand the stuff. Headcheese is another stomach turner.

I'm told that my Finnish grandfather's occasional use of fish head stew, blood sausage or lutefisk had the same effect on my father and his siblings...

"After Finland, [Britain is] the country with the worst food." -Jacques Chirac

The Guncrank said:
"After Finland, [Britain is] the country with the worst food." -Jacques Chirac[/QUOTE]

"Hell is a place where the police are French, the polititions are German and the cooks are English!"

Brussel Sprouts are definitely an acquired taste! This is a method I developed to take some of the nasty off of them.
Wash and cut in half lengthwise.
In a small pot cover with Chicken Stock and simmer until crisp/tender.
Drain thoroughly and add a good pat of butter.
S&P to taste.
Throw in a handful of coursely chopped roasted pistachio nuts, gently stir and serve.
If you get stuck eating the things on holidays try this out, it helps a lot! :p
I developed another way to take a lot of the nasty off them.... they never enter the perimeter of my plate.!:D

My Dad liked beef tongue on sourdough with horseradish. Loved it as do I. For you "Liver-hating Johnsons" out there, try calf liver. Much better tasting and & more tender than cow liver. I still can't stand fried okra.

I ate many a pot of Salmon Head stew. I just avoided the head. My Finnish grandmother loved the eyes and cheeks. :p

Anybody who eats fish knows the best meat is hiding under the cheek scales. 'Tis true. Your grandmother was no dummy. The eyes are full of a gelatinous/oil concoction, yummy. The eyeballs themselves are tasteless. With the good comes the boring?

My Dad liked beef tongue on sourdough with horseradish. Loved it as do I. For you "Liver-hating Johnsons" out there, try calf liver. Much better tasting and & more tender than cow liver. I still can't stand fried okra.

I doubt it....if you're liver hater, you're not going to like ANY kind of liver. Though you are right, it's lighter liver flavor. Personally, I LOVE a big skillet of chicken livers browned well smothered with bacon and onions!
Mmm-Mm good!

My dad grew and ground his own horseradish. A tear gas grenade would have been no more effective at clearing the house than the fumes from grinding horseradish root. It literally brought tears to the eyes a couple rooms away.
I think legend has it that 99% of "wasabi" is actually 100% horseradish.. wasabi proper is very expensive.

I've had fresh wasabi, once. It was SO good!! Nothing like the paste stuff...you had to ask for it at this Japanese sushi place and they brought you a small plate. not nearly as spicy as the paste and SO flavorful!!

Also grew up eating tripe! Italian style :) Loved that chewy stuff!
And all the seafood I still eat to this day (I'm pescatarian now): clams, lobster, squid, shrimp, mussels, octopus, scallops...

Cow tongue is like the best roast beef you have ever had.

The Koreans figured out how to make beef tongue taste like heaven. Peeled (remove the taste buds), slice very thinly (best done semi-frozen), briefly marinate in white vinegar, grill or cook in a dry skillet until just browned. Dip in lemon or lime juice.

I cannot stand tongue made in any Mexican fashion. Sorry, not hatin', just sayin'.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top