JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes.
Typically cowboy action loads are lighter to reduce recoil on rapid shooting.

A 44 Mag loaded hot for pistol will be really hot on rifle

Those rifles have tube magazines so it's most likely telling you the nose of the bullet is safe to load one in front of the other.

Should be good to go in a handgun.

Yes.

Yes.

makes sense. to clarify, I'm asking about the going the other direction. I have no plan to own a lever action rifle.

Not familiar with 44 mag rifle cartridges, but in general, most rifle cartridges have too much powder (burn wise) for shorter barreled pistols so for cleaner, more efficient burn with less muzzle flash, I would stay with those designed for pistols or load your own. Of course if you have a source for ammo made for rifles available at a heck of a price deal then a little extra flash and cleaning of a pistol is no big thing.

the nose of the bullet is safe to load one in front of the othe
flat bullets that are safe and feed well in a lever gun.
This got passing mention here in the context of this thread, but I think it should be stressed NOT to ever use "pointy" bullets in a tube magazine.

6 mos or 6 years from now someone might Google the same question and this thread will pop up.

30-something years ago I asked an old timer why most 30-30 ammo had a flat nose. I thought it was a smart question and expected a very involved explanation citing ballistics, drag coefficient, sectional density, and so on. He just pointed to the primer on one round and stared at me until the light bulb turned on over my head. Then he smiled, spit some tobacco juice, and went back to what he was doing.
That old guy's favorite teaching tool was letting young grasshopper figure it out for himself. Men of few words are that way because they dont need them.

Last Edited:
As others have said, it'll be fine.. just be aware that wool fibers might build up under the star of your wheel gun using those "cowboy action" loads.

This got passing mention here in the context of this thread, but I think it should be stressed NOT to ever use "pointy" bullets in a tube magazine.

Not trying to deflect the arc of this thread. Just suddenly very curious about stacking .44mag rounds in a tube fed rifle. Could ball rounds maybe be pointy enough to light off a primer in the next round forward? If so, I can only imagine in horror what sort of chain reaction might ensue.

Not trying to deflect the arc of this thread. Just suddenly very curious about stacking .44mag rounds in a tube fed rifle. Could ball rounds maybe be pointy enough to light off a primer in the next round forward? If so, I can only imagine in horror what sort of chain reaction might ensue.
I believe such an event would be suitably bad enough to leave an indelible impression.

As for round nose? Probably... I wouldn't take the chance. There are enough flat and soft-nose bullet profiles available that it's an unnecessary risk.

Just loading up and firing would probably be okay... but I'd still feel sketchy about it and I'd NEVER carry one that way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top