JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background: I went to Cabelas today to have my partner check out some firearms for HD (She is pretty new to pistols).

And after her deciding on a Beretta 92 (don't ask how, I was pointing her towards the Sig P250 Compact) I saw what looked to be a Nagant M1895 and sure enough it was for $120.

Long story short: I bought the pistol (came with holster and tools) mostly because I love Soviet firearms and I know that you can suppress them. But unlike other Soviet firearms the 7.62x38R is not exactly cheap, furthermore its not like I can walk into BiMart and pick up a box or two.

I know there is a 32. ACP cylinder out there and found one for ~70. So my question is should I pick that up to shoot the slightly cheaper and more available .32 or stick with 7.62 Nagant?

Also has anyone fired 32. S&W out of one? Okay to do? Or will I end up with a broken revolver?

Also has anyone fired 32. S&W out of one? Okay to do? Or will I end up with a broken revolver?

I've fired .32 S&W Long from my Nagant. It's perfectly safe to do, but it is less than ideal for a number of reasons. First off, the casings bulge quite significantly after firing, theoretically that means a lot of energy is lost in expanding the case to the size of the chamber, so less velocity relative to firing that same round through a firearm actually designed for it, it's also not ideal for reloading purposes. In addition, the power of the round takes another hit as the more conventional design of the .32 S&W round negates the advantage of the gas seal. Accuracy is also generally worse, word is the .32 S&W long is inherently a very accurate round, but this isn't true when it's fired through a gun not designed for it!

I just bought one of these ugly old revolvers last week but still haven't fired it yet.

Surplusrifleforum.com has a lot of info on these guns. Like raftman and revjen said, people shoot .32S&W/H&Rmag in these a lot but the brass sometimes bulges and I've read about people with cracked brass too. Unless you had a bunch of .32 ammo already or didn't care about potentially ruining the brass, I don't know why you'd shoot the wrong ammo anyway. Nagant ammo may not be cheap, but neither is .32S&W/H&R.

.32acp isn't cheap either, about $21 for a box of FMJ last time I bought some. The .32acp conversion cylinders I seen were like $70, so unless you planned on doing quite a bit of shooting with the .32acp cylinder, you'd probably be money ahead to just shoot some factory nagant ammo.

I guess a few people have reamed out .32acp cylinders for these to .327federal too.

I guess a few people have reamed out .32acp cylinders for these to .327federal too.

That I wouldn't do. Doesn't seem safe, one would be reducing the structural integrity of the cylinder and then submitting to significantly greater forces than it is designed for. The .327 round generates around twice the pressure of .32acp.

It would cost me $13.93 for shipping according to their shipping estimate. So unless I buy a whole lot of boxes of their foreign made ammo that I'm still going to have to wait for to be delivered, it ends up costing more than what I can buy some overpriced rem./win. ammo for down at the local bimart or walmart.

.32acp is expensive no matter where you buy it.

You don't have to buy a whole lot to save a decent amount of money, however. Of course it's not economical to but just one measly box of ammo online. But if I buy just 2 boxes of that $11/box .32 ammo, after shipping (for my zipcode it estimates around $11 for shipping), I am already saving around $8 when compared with buying at $21/box. If I buy just 4 boxes, I am saving more than $27 (which by the way you can use to buy yet more ammo)! Then take into account I can also combine that shipping when I order ammo of the half dozen or so other calibers I shoot (and are also available cheaper online than any local establishment) and savings become all the more considerable indeed. There's still the matter of waiting shipping, but I figure the ammo you can lasts longer if you can buy more of it, and you can order more before you run out.

Did you end up buying it? I picked this up a while ago with a .32acp cylinder. No import marks. For under 120 bucks. I've yet to shoot it.

5839167281_3a6e30cafd_z.jpg

5839167143_bbc0ed7c1f_z.jpg