JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking to replace my Taurus PT111 G2 (9mm) for a little while now. It's served me good since I've had it.

It's been my light carry pistol.

I already own a compact 4.25" Springfield XD40 in OD so I figured why not share weapons similarity and keep the same platform?

I already have form fitted holsters, three of them. Two leather IWB and one Blackhawk Serpa. Since the Mod.2 fits in the Blackhawk and locks in just as tight it's a bonus. While I have a shorter barrel in the 9mm, it doesn't bother me to have a little extra at the pocket of the holster.

So here it is, the XD9 Sub Compact Mod.2 with FDE frame.

Hoping to make a range report soon.

image.jpeg

So far today after I picked it up I carried it to a baseball game. From jogging around and being the assistant C, it stayed put, slim and only noticed it was there when I trotted down the baseline.

Pre-range impression:
When a full magazine is inserted (13 or 16) the magazine release is an absolute pain in the arse to push. I mean you need two thumbs pressing it. If the action is open on a full magazine the mag release operates perfectly fine and easy.

Remove one round with slide closed, easier. (12)
11 rounds in magazine with slide closed it's a little easier than 12
10 rounds in magazine with closed slide: easy

I'm hoping to take some time this coming week to swap out the red fiber front sight with one of the green tubes that comes with it. I don't mind the red but my eye picks up green better.

The finger indexing divot like that on my Taurus is something I got used to having. (Helps always indexing when drawing)

Still hoping for range time tomorrow after church, if not I'll sling some Monday.

Last Edited:
Nice. I bet they are sweet guns, but I just can't stand that it says "grip zone." Maybe it's silly, but if it weren't for that, I would probably own one. Looking forward to a range report, though. It might change my mind.

Yeah @Spray-n-pray its ghetto that it says in huge markings "Grip Zone".

Like how Ruger marks their revolver barrels with their warnings. Almost ruins the revolver.

No schooting today. But I did sit down and work the magazine release a hundred + times since purchase.

It's no longer taking as much force but it's still taking 2x that of my XD40 and the Taurus. (As they were new).

I have the XD45 SC Mod 2. I have made a careful observation on the "Grip Zone" wording.

1. It does not seem to cause malfunctions.
2. I can't see the words when it is in my hands
3. It is very scary to Elephants and Rhinoceros with good vision I have not been attacked by either species since I got the gun.
4. It does not scare the mosquitoes....Darn!

Okay kidding aside .... I like my gun, it replaced my XDS 45 as my EDC. It gives a lot more capacity in my preferred caliber and I can shoot it a little better. I now carry 23 rounds vs. 13 with the XDS. It is fatter (Gun and spare Mag) and I don't love that,

All my shooting so far was with the standard trigger, but Powder River recently came out with a kit for the 45 version (9 and 40 had kits for a long time) and I just put one in, Dry fires great!

It is a ugly gun, but a great tool.

My wife has a XD9 Service 4.0 Mod 2, but she covered the Grip Zone with Talon Grip tape, hiding those sexy foxy words, now why did she want to do that?

Impressed. Quite a bit smoother than the Taurus (which I'm not comparing a $250 gun to a $500 one).

image.jpeg

First 29 shots with this pistol.
7 yards. Recoil was smooth as expected with these hand loads. 124gr Berry with 4.2gr IMR PB.
Very easy target acquisition with the bright front fiber sight.
Trigger was surprisingly easy compared to my XD40. While recoil is different the smoothness was the same between the 9 & 40 (reloads both and using PB on both).

image.jpeg

Last Edited:
Two photos: squares are 1".

#1 using the ammo can at 10 yards as a rest:
image.jpeg

Then I used the bench to support my arms:
image.jpeg

Quite a bit of difference. Top left flier was shot #2. Numbering isn't in order of shot placement.

Gun is accurate enough for me.

Focused on front sight, aligning everything beyond that for shot placement.

Trigger:
6.5-7lbs when using a Wheeler gauge placed in the center of the trigger. Expected heavy trigger for a carry gun.

Magazine release:
I've worked it a bunch, still was a little gritty and not smooth so I've applied a little bit of Mothers Mag Polish to it. In the 5 minutes I've worked it back and forth it's smoothed out faster with the polish than the previous hour I spent before.

A little dab'll do ya!

Photo Apr 20, 8 11 53 AM.jpg

I will say my 45 is tuff to release with a full magazine, but I don't plan on doing that much anyway, Nice to know it can be easier though.

I have XD9 and XD9 SC plus XD40 and XD40 SC.... looked at a XD9 Mod 2 BUT did not see any real reason to sell any of my old XD's for the new Mod 2's; the time, effort and $$$ made no sense. There was not enough difference for me to warrant all that.

BUT for just getting a new XD.... Mod 2 would be the choice, maybe, just maybe: there will be a nice reduced priced XD9 Tactical on the market when someone decides to upgrade to Mod 2:D????!!!!

Good gun and thanks for the review and hint on the slide-release polish...just had a blue screen and much of my post was erased.

LOL

swpost10 what in tarnation is wrong with you? You don't have a XD in 45? You know you can get the Mod 2's in that sexy FDE? Makes the girls all swoon! I was not interested in a Mod 2 when they first came out. I held it and found it to be lacking enough extra feel to make it worth my while. It was only when I tried the old, tried the new, tried the old, tried the new, and did that a few more times that my hand said "Hey I really do like the Mod 2 Better".
The only other small, big caliber guns with big capacity in my possession is a Glock 29, better known a Block 29, and between those two the Mod 2 grip is clearly superior. The real test for me was between my XDS 45 and the Mod 2. I love and will keep my XDS 45, but it is a 5+1 capacity gun with a 7 round spare. Good grip handle though and I had the Talon sandpaper style grip tape on it. This was the gun I really did my comparison with.....and the G-29. The Mod 2 made it's siren call to my hand and I now have yet another gun.
I'm not much on trading guns, I just re-purpose them That does make it harder to justify something new, when you already have your niches filled. Still that FDE XD40 SC Mod 2 beckons me. But the only niche I can see left, is for a handgun with a optic like a G-17 MOS or a 45 ACP revolver like a Ruger Redhawk or even a Charter Arms Pitbull. Well not ALL my niches are full.
You though, you really NEED a XD40 SC Mod 2 in FDE. It's calling your name!

I agree @Pandaz3, when I first held the Mod.2 I wasn't impressed. The next range trip I shot my XD40 and the next day went in and held the Mod.2 again.

It was then and there I noticed a difference.

And @swpost10 how do you not have a .45?

I now have 3 of the MOD 2s and am down a Glock.

The last Glock will go as trade fodder for a PPS M2 LE.

My SC and .45 shoot really nice, but are not as light as my XD-S in
.45 ACP.

However, they do hold more rounds.

I'm kind of out of the loop right now with a back and shoulder injury.

No range time or holster eval time for Kev, right now.

I did get to use my good arm to snap some holster pics.

Both the XD MOD 2 SC 9mm and the MOD 2 .45 are sweet shooting guns.

I'll take some more pics, including inside the waistband..after my experience carry of each pistol for a week or so.

I see that the new Horizontal Mag Carriers are now stamped with the Black Arch Logo like their excellent holsters.

I still love my CZs, but the Glocks are down the road or going soon as trade fodder for more MOD 2s, and a PPS M2.

The PPS M2 would be both lighter and thinner than the MOD 2 SC 9mm..and good for ankle carry or fanny pack carry.

Even though, I did find my old PPS M1 with the 6-round mag to fit in some of my pants pockets.

Here is the MOD 2 ACE-1 and the Black Arch PPS M2 PROTOS holster, as I find my PROTOS for my XDS-45
to be quite splendid.

Still not sure if the ACE-1 for my XD-S is THAT much more comfortable than the PROTOS with it's
suede backing.

Stylish, more comfortable than it looks and it actually grips your fabric well.

Here is the PPS M2 PROTOS album as well.

When I do trade for a PPS M2 LE or even the regular M2, I look forward to spending a couple
weeks with it in this nice IWB holster.

So, enjoy your MOD 2s out there.

I have 3 of them so far and like with my XD-S .45 (My very first Springfield product) not a bobble or
wobble out of them.

Like with top tier ammo..i.e. HST, PDX, Cor-Bon or Double Tap.

A top quality IWB makes them even more appealing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mod_zps6owh2nrz.png 11_zpsl2sjdtss.png 5b16cc32-a689-4be7-a7e9-b43830e5953d_zpsjzeyiilg.png 9_zpsi0woxhjf.png mod452_zpsuqqb0twp.png 12_zpsaggtovdr.png bb6710c6-2db7-401c-93d0-8e1deb2693c0_zpsecwdtjlf.png protod_zpsykozd65u.png p4_zpsfhufdovr.png nmod4522_zpssonyy44p.png 2_zpsi3zghb7o.png

Welcome to The Zone...I like the Mod2 enough that I've considered replacing my XDMs with em. The only thing that's really held me back is the abysmal resale/trade-in value of the XDMs. Ms are very nice pistols, but priced waay above their station, imo...I see them for sale on Gunbroker @ HK prices.
@Dyjital, Dropping a fully loaded mag can be tough with the Springfield plastic fantastics (I have the same issue with my Ms, but also w my all steel SiGs...go figure), a tap on the baseplate while depressing the mag release will knock it loose.
@Spray-n-pray, Talon Grips can help cover up that hokey Grip Zone lettering...Ive seen a few of my friends at XDTalk.com do a very nice job with some Talon grip tape or even some modest stippling.

I have put the Regular rubber Talon tape on the wife's Mod 2 4" Service, if it were me and I had to put the tape on my Mod 2 45, I would use the 'granular' or sandpaper version of the tape. Very solid all weather grip, bare handed or gloved.
I did get a Recluse holster for my 45, but some pants have smaller pockets than others so I just ordered a Alien Gear Cloak Mod OWB paddle holster for it (And a extra shell for a PMR30)
I mentioned earlier that I modified the trigger with a Powder River drop in unit. The factory trigger was good, but some of us can't leave well enough alone.

Up in the realm of about 300 rounds down the barrel and still no regrets.

Thinking I need another in .40 now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads