JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Considering the diminutive size... do the same rules apply as to whether you can
over-do the embellishment? Or, does this enter the category of functional jewelry?

upload_2017-6-11_11-10-25.png

Over the years I've read tons from the "nothing but 45" crowd about the absurdity of carrying a 22 mag for self defense. While I cant argue about the fire power difference, some of the arguments come out as if it just isn't manly. Really? their going to run their life by what others think as apposed to whets good for them. I needed a visual.
I screwed two packets of Kaiser crap sent to us totaling 5/8 inch of solid of plan and provider books, to a 1/4 inch plywood backing and went to the woods. Ok, so its not ballistic gel but At 4 yards I shot it dead with my NAA 22 mag, Keltek 32, and an old Remington 51 in 380. All were through with nearly identical sized exit wounds. (much splintered wood) All with FMJ
I'm satisfied, at least inside 12 feet, my 22 mag's going to do some hurting. maybe even enough to get in another shot or two while their laughing at the pea shooter they just got hit with. If lucky, hit an artery, then who knows, maybe even lights out soon.
For a better than nothing, up close and personal, I'm of the mind it is way better than trying to use my antiquated and arthritic fist.
Plus, I have it, when others might leave their bigger gun at home due to inappropriate, or maybe less than legal to pack, or just unwanted by others sort of situations.

I have been watching this since long before Algore invented the internet. Gun rags had writers for as long as time saying nothing short of................ is worth carrying. If they really will carry something they talk, great. I have over time known a few, very few, who did this. One carried a Star Firebrick in an ankle holster if nothing else. Most, including me, just are not willing to do this. In that case any gun is better than the one at home. I often tell people if something happens you don't get to call time out to go home. There is also those like my Wife. HIGHLY recoil sensitive. There are a LOT of guns she refuses to shoot. Then their was weight. Several times found a "decent" caliber she would shoot because of it's weight. Then she would often not carry due to weight. So I was glad to let her find something she would both carry and shoot. don't care what. Anything beats nothing.

Considering the diminutive size... do the same rules apply as to whether you can
over-do the embellishment? Or, does this enter the category of functional jewelry?

View attachment 369492

While "I", would not spend the cash to do that to mine, I still VERY much like the way that looks. To me if the person who did it likes it, it was their money to spend so good for them. Neat looking little mini!

Just so it's known by most, Speer makes 'Gold Dot' short barreled 22 WMR, so there is a actual defensive round made for NAA and my S&W 351 PD 7 shot J frame. I don't own any of that ammo yet, but will try to find some. I do have CCI and Hornady polymer tipped ammo in those two right now. I am sure the short barreled Gold Dot will work in my lever action Henry too.

Just so it's known by most, Speer makes 'Gold Dot' short barreled 22 WMR, so there is a actual defensive round made for NAA and my S&W 351 PD 7 shot J frame. I don't own any of that ammo yet, but will try to find some. I do have CCI and Hornady polymer tipped ammo in those two right now. I am sure the short barreled Gold Dot will work in my lever action Henry too.

Too bad you can't just buy the bullets. I have the black powder version on which these would work. Thought about pulling hollowpoints and using them and then loading the cases with black powder for blanks.

, Speer makes 'Gold Dot' short barreled 22 WMR

Best price I found on that, $14/box:
Speer Gold Dot 22 WIN MAG 40 GR GDHP-SB 50 RDS (0954) #VN3170 | Lax Ammunition

I finally went ahead and got the Mini Master with both cylinders.

I like the gun, nice quality. I can carry "Mexican" style and not know the gun is there (which kinda freaks me out - worry about losing it). A nice little IWB holster will be just the thing. Whether it makes more sense than my Keltec P32 is another question. But, the gun is more likable than the utilitarian P32.

When my wife saw it, she said "Wow that's a cute gun!" Female approved... ;)

The bad news, the trigger is VERY heavy and absurdly creepy too. Yes I know the factory will slick it up for nothing but I wish I didn't have to send it back for that. Probably, given the .22 WMR, it is always going to be pretty heavy, but this trigger needs help.

Some guys on the forum say people buy for collection purposes only, not defense, as an excuse for the crappy trigger. I don't buy that. No gun should get out of a factory with a trigger this bad even if you never intend to shoot it; there is no excuse for it.

Other than that, the gun is well made. It's weird to see this inconsistency in manufacture.

I tried shooting it. It's got the "fixed" sights, but the windage is already good and elevation is a bit low in both calibers (filing the front is the usual remedy, I may get around to that). Really though, at my age, I have trouble seeing the sights anyway; even so I consider the accuracy very good and rather blame my eyes than the gun. I just won't be making head shots on squirrels with it. (sigh)

Thanks for the Ammo find, another California company getting some of my business! This has got to stop! I ordered 500 rounds. In addition to my NAA, I have a short barreled, seven shot, J-Frame in 22 Mag. 351PD. Well I like to test and practice a little with Carry ammunition.
My NAA has the longer 1 5/8 barrel, and now sports the oversized hardwood grips/stocks and the trigger is okay on mine. I need to file the front sight too.

It's true.
.22 with the new ''Modern ammo'' is good for anything up to grizz. :D

But seriously. Who among us will be able to make five head shots on the five guns attacking/robing you after that 50cc shot of adrenaline hits.

My 22 magnum NAA is still in the safe having a ''time out'' for putting me through that dilemma. o_O

I have carried both my S&W and NAA at different times as the only carry gun. The NAA was my back up for a long time. I would have aimed for center of mass in any case though my J frame is accurate enough for a head shot. I think 22 LR is lethal, but it might take a body a long time till it figures that out and dies. Yes I carry a 40 right now and just moved a 9 to backup, but eyeing a XDS in 40 for backup. Some don't carry at all. Some carry small for clothing issues, some for disabilities, should they choose a 22 Magnum I think it is a very good round for them.
I did not stop using the NAA as a backup due to caliber, rather it is slow to shoot as a single action, and very slow to reload, has only five rounds. I did carry five more in the holster.
The 380's that I moved to were 6 + 1 with a 6 or 7 round Spare Magazine. The XDS 9 is 7 + 1 with a 9 round spare, the 40 a little less capacity, but the same Crimson Trace laser.
I am capable of carrying something bigger so I do.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to put in a good word for the North American Arms .380 Guardian pistol. If you want a REALLY tiny .380 that is heavy enough to hang on to with hot ammo (Gold Dot), consider this pistol. It is six-plus-one, double action only, and is BEAUTIFULLY machined of solid stainless steel, all billet I believe, no castings. It is reliable, and as accurate as a tiny .380 might be. The trigger is HORRIBLE! But that is because this is the only safety, it is a smooth slide emergency gun. The trigger is long and heavy and stacks up heavier until you think you need a second finger. BUT, this is not a problem if you fire with the TIP of the trigger finger, not the pad or crease. This is a good pistol to carry, especially if you have small pockets.

Actually, my trigger is really smooth without a lot of stacking. Not light by any means but pulls straight through. You might call NAA and see what they say. If not, just dry fire the heck out of it. Triggers like that will usually smooth out around 500 rounds or so, and dry firing it just speeds the process. Use a snap cap, though. I really don't think you'll hurt it without one, but why tempt fate for a buck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top