JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just took my first handgun safety course a couple of weekends ago, and want to continue learning more. Still not sure what direction I want to take as a primary interest in shooting, so I'm researching them all. Likely more training courses and maybe some competition. Lots of intimidating information out there, and with so many options, I want to make sure I get a gun I will like. In my class I shot the Glock 17, and it felt OK, wasn't a great feel for me. So, I am going to be drooling over other handguns for one that might fit better. Then to the range to improve on the basics before another course.

At the Clackamas County PSTC I took the 101 course and my scores qualified me to move on to the 101A course. The longer I go between courses and getting a gun to try, the more my skills drop. Also want to rent a couple models from the gun room so I can compare a M&P to an XD, or a Barretta. Since they don't rent to people who do not bring a gun in with them, and I don't know anyone who owns a gun, I am in a bit of a pickle. No experience for me means no base line to know what I like to shoot. It's intimidating, but I will break it down into less intimidating steps.

Thanks, all.

I just need to find a way to do this so it doesn't bankrupt me.

Welcome. I'm sure you could find a member here in your area who might be willing to meet with you and let you get your hands on a different weapon. As you begin it is important to find a gun that is comfortable in your hand, and to practice as much as possible. Shooting a handgun is like golf, there are many many elements that must come together to hit your target. My advice to a beginner is to work hard on consistency in grip, sight picture and trigger pressure. If you are serious about competition shooting you have an exciting and challenging road ahead of you. I have been lucky enough to compete with some stunning shots all over as a member of a military pistol team, and I learn something every time I shoot. If you don't you're not paying attention. Have fun.

welcome to NWF ! ya , a safety course is a great way to start........if you have family members interested, it's good for them to catch a course also---never can have to much knowledge !

steven

Thanks. The girlfriend is not interested, not fearful, just no interest. I think she'd rather have the satisfaction of beating the snot out of someone if personal defense became an issue. :)

I've been looking, need to get to a range to rent something, and after visiting a lot of shops think that the Ruger SR9c is a likely candidate for the first purchase. Then more training and education. I like making decisions on actual knowledge and experience, not on fear/ignorance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top