JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not specifically gun related, in the OFF TOPIC area I know, some of have issues with this idea.
To try and get at least looking in that direction, If you get accused of some gun crime, don't expect an impartial jury. There.

Potential juror thinks defendant is guilty before trial; gets to sit on jury and find him guilty

http://apublicdefender.com/2014/04/...rial-gets-to-sit-on-jury-and-find-him-guilty/

" The prosecutor tried again: "Let me ask you this flat-out. Let's say the victim takes the stand [and] you flat-out don't believe her. In fact, you think she's lying. You look at her [and conclude] 'I don't believe a word coming out of her mouth.' Are you going to convict this man anyway?"

Juror 112 responded before the first witness in the case had been called, "That depends. I still feel he was at fault.""

We all have biases (some justified!) whether we admit it or not. Some people can't put that aside and be objective and fair when it counts. When you find yourself on a Jury, feelings shouldn't enter into it.

I've been picked for jury duty every year since I turned 18. Every. Goddamn. Year. Anymore, it isn't worth my time or the loss of hours to attend so I circular file the notice. However, the first few times I did show up I made sure to exhibit enough personal bias that one side or the other would cut me from the roster. Worked like a charm.

<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I was picked for jury duty two years in a row. First time was a suit against the State of WA DOT, and I worked for the DOT and knew some of the people being called for witnesses. They still sat me on the jury! Second time it was a drug case and I was foreman. One of the officers held up a note pad showing in large letters the words "He's lying" and everybody on the jury saw it. Still didn't call a mistrial. I even talked to the officer later about it.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

"One of the officers held up a note pad showing in large letters the words "He's lying" and everybody on the jury saw it. Still didn't call a mistrial. I even talked to the officer later about it."

This is why there is jury nullification.

The last jury i was called into, federal trial, 1/2+ the jury pool lied by omission, when asked if they'd heard of DNA evidence exonerating the accused. Everyone sat around on their dicks like they'd never heard of it. I was basically one of three who responded. I said i had great concern for people who've never heard of DNA evidence overturning a case. I believe everyone who responded to the question was dismissed.

And there is the biggest flaw of a jury... a jury of your peers; a mix of people who don't want to be there and the simply stupid. Thing is, attorneys love stupid juries, makes it easier to sell.

If I knew the assigned judge was impartial, had common sense, and was intelligent, I would take a bench trial over a jury trial ANY DAY.

Last edited by a moderator:
<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!
"One of the officers held up a note pad showing in large letters the words "He's lying" and everybody on the jury saw it. Still didn't call a mistrial. I even talked to the officer later about it."

This is why there is jury nullification.

The guy was guilty as charged, there is no way he couldn't have known he was helping deliver MaryJane. We had it in the jury room and boy, was it strong even sealed in the bags!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Thirteen years ago I had some experience with the court system & my lawyer gave me the skinny on juries. What had had to say was pretty scary & what I've always suspected. Juries are ruled by emotion,bias & preconceived notions.They also lack the understanding of the law too often to make law based decisions. In my case,my lawyer assured me that a jury would find me guilty no matter the evidence,while a judge would find that I was an bubblegum,but not a criminal. Turns out that that was almost to the word what the judge said. Case dismissed.

I've been picked for jury duty every year since I turned 18. Every. Goddamn. Year. Anymore, it isn't worth my time or the loss of hours to attend so I circular file the notice. However, the first few times I did show up I made sure to exhibit enough personal bias that one side or the other would cut me from the roster. Worked like a charm.

Apparently you are part of the problem, and seem proud of ignoring your duty to your fellow citizens. I will never undersand how people can try so hard to get out of jury duty. If it is a financial hardship, that is all you have to say and will be dismissed. But it is exactly because the good/intelligent/honest/rational people don't want to be inconvenienced, that the system sucks and you get juries that are ruled by emotion instead of logic and law.

I was on a jury and ask the judge a question about being able to talk about what I heard in court when the trail was over. i was dismissed two days before the conclusion of the trial.
I guess honor and honestly are not legal requirements.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top