JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out what make and model of pistol this is? Any ideas? Mag doesn't seem to fit.

20230609_164743.jpg 20230609_164734.jpg

20230609_164817.jpg

Last Edited:
Definitely a Makarov but not sure of the make. If i had to guess a bulgarian arsenal import but i wouldn't bet money on that. Any other markings?

BR in the s/n means made in 1962. East German pistols of that era had no markings other than the s/n which included the date code.

Last Edited:
The East German Makarovs are the most desirable, from what I understand. They haven't been available for a very long time. I bought mine sometime around 2000 as I recall. I think I paid $125 back then.

From a glance at Gunbroker, I'd say $500+.

I just got mine out for comparison. That sure looks like a Makarov magazine, don't know why it wouldn't fit.

Another interesting thought: I don't see any importer markings on yours, which might increase the value for some? It raises the possibility that it could have been a bring back from Vietnam or something. I believe that import markings have been required since '68.

I just got mine out for comparison. That sure looks like a Makarov magazine, don't know why it wouldn't fit.

Another interesting thought: I don't see any importer markings on yours, which might increase the value for some? It raises the possibility that it could have been a bring back from Vietnam or something. I believe that import markings have been required since '68.
Is there a trick to inserting an empty mag. It does look like the right mag.

Is there a trick to inserting an empty mag. It does look like the right mag.
The magazine on mine goes in easily. Does it stop partway, or not fit at all?

I had to reword that carefully, to avoid being quoted on a certain thread in a certain sub-forum that shall not be named. :)

The magazine on mine goes in easily. Does it stop partway, or not fit at all?

I had to reword that carefully, to avoid being quoted on a certain thread in a certain sub-forum that shall not be named. :)
Same concern with wording. I will fuss with it again tomorrow and see if I can figure out where it is binding.

Check to make sure the screw that holds the grips on is not catching the magazine. Look up in the magazine well and see if the screw is sticking out to far. I've had that happen once and a shorter screw fixed the problem.

Check to make sure the screw that holds the grips on is not catching the magazine. Look up in the magazine well and see if the screw is sticking out to far. I've had that happen once and a shorter screw fixed the problem.
Wow, you might be on to something. I had removed and reinstalled the grip screw so I will try backing that out a bit and see if that might be causing the binding. There is little knub sticking out on one side of mag that floats with follower, is that suppose to ride in a mag well groove?

makmag closeup.jpg

You were right on the money with that call. I backed the grip screw off just a little and the mag inserted just fine. Thanks a bunch.

Nice! It actually rang a bell for me too, as soon as I saw what Dozer posted. I had the same problem once as well. Mine came with cheesy aftermarket grips when I got it, and I eventually found some original German grips for it. The aftermarket grip screw was slightly too long and interfered with the magazine.

I have an EG Mak and a couple CZ82s. A few years ago, I trimmed down about a thousand range pickup 9mm cases to 9x18, using a Lee trimmer in a drill. I cast and powder coated enough lead bullets to load them all, so I have plenty of ammo for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top