Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chee-to, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast

Video @ link
    Mysterious missile lights up the sky over the Pacific - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Pacific Ocean (CBS 8)- A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught on video Monday evening by a KCBS news helicopter.

The spectacular contrail could easily be seen up in Los Angeles, but who launched this missile and why, remain a mystery for now.

The magnificent images were captured from the KCBS chopper around 5pm. The location of the missile was described as west of Los Angeles, north of Catalina Island, and approximately 35 miles out to sea.

A Navy spokesperson tells News 8, this wasn't its missile. He said there was no Navy activity reported in that part of the region.

On Friday, November 5, Vandenberg Air Force Base launched a Delta II rocket, carrying the Thales Alenia Space-Italia COSMO SkyMed satellite, but a sergeant at the base tells News 8, there have been no launches since then.

News 8 showed the video to Robert Ellsworth, former U.S. Ambassador to NATO and a former Deputy Secretary of Defense.

He said it didn't appear to be a Tomahawk missile and said it would be safest to wait for definitive answers to come from the military.

Based on pure speculation, however, Ambassador Ellsworth said, with President Obama in Asia, perhaps this could have been a show of our military muscle.

"It could be a test firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile from an underwater submarine, to demonstrate mainly to Asia, that we can do that," he said, stressing that it was just a theory.

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

We all know it was just Polosi blowing her top over losing her job.
    Or maybe it was her way of showing her superiority.

Or maybeeee someone said lunch but the guy at the controls heard launch,those illegals get confused ya know.

Makes ya wonder though after the other day when they lost control of the communications to the missles for a few.:paranoid:

3. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I would bet if its not the US Navy, then it was the Russians or the Chinese. Would make quite a point to park a boomer off LA and launch a test. Looking at the angles and sunlight on the plume, since it happened at sunset, I would say this missile was heading on a westerly course out to sea. It still could be US test as they used to launch Minuteman ICBM's from Vandenberg AFB all the way down to Kwajalein atoll. Maybe it was part of a anti ballistic missile test they don't want to publicize. The only thing is if it was US, it was very visible and denials make the govt look stupid if it was one of ours. I'm actually thinking it was Russia or China making a point. I don't think the Brits or the French would do it... :) The only other player besides Russia that has these sub launched ballistic missiles is China and they had once made the statement that the United States would not be willing to trade Los Angeles for Taiwan... The exhaust plume definitely looks like a solid rocket booster and CHina has been putting to sea a few SLBM carrying subs. They also surfaced an attack submarine in the middle of one of our carrier task groups a few years back so it is not unprecedented for the Chinese to say "Look what we can do...."

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

There is too much doublespeak in the official reports. The US military claims it wasn't their's, NORAD claims they never saw it, no one knows who's it was...yet Homeland Defense and the Pentagon are conclusively stating that it was never a threat to the US.

There is even a story floating around on the top-of-the-hour news reports that it may have been an amateur rocketeer's. Sheesh.

My guess (you heard it here) is that a US submarine launched a ballistic or cruise missile by accident during a weapons drill.

Keith

5. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

Probably some ol cajun just wantin to go fishin!

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Dupont spinner for the ocean:rofl1:

7. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

This is the same coverup as, why it took so long to dispatch fighters to intercept the 911 planes.
    Our military said this wasn't one of theirs???
    Take cover all.
    This is also the same media coverage that has pronounced our economy is, and has been, in a recovery for the last year and a half.:paranoid:
    Whatever...You wonder why some of us talk about survival?

Will

8. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

It was a weather balloon. It was a jet contrail. It was... I don't care what they say it was - I can't make myself believe a damn thing they say anymore.

9. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

It sounds like an accidental U.S. launch to me - but, I'm not sure how easy/likely that is to happen. Seems hard to believe that you could just accidentally fire something like that, but who knows?

There's also speculation that it's somehow tied to Obama's visit to India & discussion about giving them a permanent seat on the U.N. Security Council - something the Chinese aren't too keen on. So, it could either be one of theirs (possible) or one of ours as a show of force (seems doubtful).

I'm not really sure what the Russians have to gain from something like this - national pride? Seems like a random time to display such a thing. There doesn't seem like a lot of direct conflict with them lately, so why now?

10. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Well, the latest is "It was a contrail."

OK

Please tell us the airline and flight number of the plane that was on that course at that time of the evening. That should be easy.

Keith

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

What a load of crap.

12. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Probably gunna slip into history and nothing "official" that is worthwhile will come of it. They will cover it up, if it was another country, everybody will be scared, if it was a mistake, everybody will be pissed, so it didn't happen...

13. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

There is a U.S. Navy test fire range south of Sanfrancisco, its been there for many years, much to do about nothing, now you know. Call them, they will say nothing was launched, there you go... Now where are you calling from, and where do you live? What is your address???...Hello..

14. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I saw a better quality clip and at the tip of the plume you can see lights, the first clip I saw I only saw red light which I thought was flame from the rocket. In the new clip I saw the red light turn green for a second which gives credence to the contrail theory and it was a planes navigation lights. The plane even if coming towards the camera would be climbing pretty steeply I would think. SoCal is known for private military jets especially out of Van Nuys or Mojave. Maybe some rich guy took a Mig-21 or T-38 out over the ocean and did a max climb with afterburner. With air regs you have to go to international waters if you might even possible make a sonic boom... Thing is, if it is as simple as an aircraft making a contrail. There should be a radar track on LAX's or someone's radar logs. Even without a transponder code, something that big will show up on radar unless its a stealth fighter and then we are back to the military again saying its not theirs yadda yadda.... :( Anyway its a fun distraction to think about until the latest celebrity gets caught driving drunk...

15. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Breaking news, it has been identified as an Ataris 2600 missile.

A better picture below................

missile_command_2.gif

16. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

It was space aliens they had technical issues with their nutrition clock setting it back an hour and did a day launch of a Turbo Encabulator by mistake.

[youtube]rLDgQg6bq7o[/youtube]

YouTube - Turbo Encabulator

17. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

A guy from Janes Defense in Britain says he analyzed the photo and in his opinion there is no question that it was a solid fuel rocket.

18. no time

no time Roseburg area Active Member

Just because the military wont cop to it being their bird, does not mean it isnt theirs. Why do they need to answer to a news helicopter? Maybe the news copter should consider the ramificatons of pizzing the guys with the cool toys off?

19. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

It's not the news its the public looking for answers..

I for one would be pissed if they launched with me with in visual range with out knowing operations were happning.

What if it malfunctioned and took out a small Cessna, Boat or entered the City god forbid a passing airliner say from china?

Usually they will place a flight restriction in the area or show an area as active even if off shore but I did not see a notam on file for that time frame.

20. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member