JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO here I am starting to bolt together my 1948 Willys CJ-2A Jeep I been working on for about 10 years now (getting to the point its time to start building after doing all the work to the parts and sub assemblies) and on the radio is one of these myorego.com commercials for the new Beta program that will charge gas tax based on 1.5 cents a mile as opposed to a flat per gallon tax. its going to screw the high mileage cars in fact it will screw anything that gets over about 19mpg.

But here's my question after looking all through the web site watching various videos on installation and such. Everything looks like these things plug into the OBD II computer port in your vehicle.

WELL my 48 Willys ain't got no such thingy. Nor would a big number of the vehicles in my neighborhood. I'm very curious how they plan on working that one out if they try to implement this tracking device on the masses instead of just the sheep who sign up.

Even if they come out with a version that plugs into a cigg lighter (my Willys doesn't have one as well as being a 6V electrical system) on most cars the lighter doesn't work when the key is off.

I think this is another example of stupid people thinking they can solve a problem just because they were elected or appointed to a job.

Actually bud, the thing uses the OBDII port's power plug to log it's GPS position and tracks mileage that way for supposed "on road" use only.

So in theory there would be one that connects to battery power from any of your 12/6v sources to log these older vehicles. They will find a way.

The pisser though is they charge you monthly PER MILE.. $.015 then refund you. Stupid asses.

The cars that will benefit from this are the ones getting SUB 20mpg, the bigwigs in the Capitul have decided that around there is the breakpoint for current $.30 per gallon tax on the state level.

With your Willy it would be below that so in theory you would receive a CREDIT based on the miles you drive. I am in NO WAY endorsing the program but these stupid asses are trying to target the higher MPG vehicles and dragging us all through the mud at the same time.

Actually bud, the thing uses the OBDII port's power plug to log it's GPS position and tracks mileage that way for supposed "on road" use only.

So in theory there would be one that connects to battery power from any of your 12/6v sources to log these older vehicles. They will find a way.

The pisser though is they charge you monthly PER MILE.. $.015 then refund you. Stupid asses.

The cars that will benefit from this are the ones getting SUB 20mpg, the bigwigs in the Capitul have decided that around there is the breakpoint for current $.30 per gallon tax on the state level.

With your Willy it would be below that so in theory you would receive a CREDIT based on the miles you drive. I am in NO WAY endorsing the program but these stupid asses are trying to target the higher MPG vehicles and dragging us all through the mud at the same time.

I love the mind set.

Oregon Democrats Thinking

• Let's push high MPG vehicles, it's better for the environment!

• Let's then give tax credits for hybrids and electric cars!

• Let's support "cash for clunkers" and get those old vehicles off the road!

• Wait.....where did all our gas tax go? How are we going to maintain roads with this?

• Hey, now lets add a low carbon fuel tax, with none of the money going to roads.....damn it's good to be an environmentalist!!

Idiots!

With some quick number, from an Oregon.gov sight, which lists the gas tax at 30 cents per gallon. I pay $149 to the state for gas tax. With a per mile tax, I'd pay $201 so it would run me 50 bucks per year.

I love the mind set.

Oregon Democrats Thinking

• Let's push high MPG vehicles, it's better for the environment!

• Let's then give tax credits for hybrids and electric cars!

• Let's support "cash for clunkers" and get those old vehicles off the road!

• Wait.....where did all our gas tax go? How are we going to maintain roads with this?

• Hey, now lets add a low carbon fuel tax, with none of the money going to roads.....damn it's good to be an environmentalist!!

Idiots!
EXACTLY - YOU sir KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON !:s0083::s0090: The ''Green Movement'' is a FARCE !:s0098: 501c Tax Exempt ''Environmental Organizations'' are all backed by Banks, Oil and Corporations using Hedge Funds!:s0025: The Blind Sheep that think they are saving the Environment by donating $:s0037: are just putting money in the Banks of the Worlds rich Elite.:s0087: Guess who's paying for their STUPIDITY ? :s0081:Like you said IDIOTS. :s0167:

Those commercials are hilarious. Remind me of an SNL sketch. They spin it like it's a great opportunity and you can be cool if you're the first on your block to volunteer for the beta. Hurry! Space is limited.

First, I'll add this to the long list of reasons I'm leaving Oregon.
Second, if this somehow becomes mandatory before I move I'm pretty sure there are going to be continuous "technical issues" with these devices in every one of my vehicles. BTW my newest vehicle is a '79 and the rest go back to the '30s.
"I'm sorry officer. It must have a bad connection again. You know how finicky these old cars can be."
I work as a mechanic and deal with customer vehicles with aftermarket alarms and DUI interlocks on a pretty regular basis. They aren't that tough to get around. In fact, depending on the nature of how they track, it would be extremely easy to add an auxiliary battery source (to maintain memory) to uninstall the device and just leave it on a shelf in the garage. To me it's not even about the money. It's about being taxed yet again and having my movements tracked.

Decades ago, the Welcome to Oregon Sign heading North out of Commiefornia, had Graffiti "Resume Sanity" now I don't believe a Person can even Reach where the sign is!!!!

philip, still got family down there.... In a completely Paid Off house... Hard to move from that setup...

:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads