JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok who is using this when storing in a 5 gallon bucket? I have been reading up on it and am wondering if using this method how are you sealing the mylar bag? I have seen a few videos using a flat iron and also the special tool made for this purpose.

Ok who is using this when storing in a 5 gallon bucket? I have been reading up on it and am wondering if using this method how are you sealing the mylar bag? I have seen a few videos using a flat iron and also the special tool made for this purpose.

Me...

Iron works fine...make sure you shut the steamer off though. Don't buy the resealable ones unless you intend on digging into the bags time and time again.

It works pretty good. I just used a level and an iron, but a 2x4 or any other long strait and flat chunk of anything and an iron will do the job. How I did it was to fill the bag but no so full that I couldn't push down the sealed part to put on a lid. Then I sealed the top about 3/4 across. Then I pushed out the air and then put the strait edge so that it was at 45° to the top seal and sealed across both the side and the top seals to make sure that there were no air leaks. Then you wait a couple days for the absorbers to do their thing. IF you did your part it will be nice and vacuum sealed looking. Then once that is verified I put on the lid. Also don't forget to label the bags and then label the lids. And mylar punctures some what easily so you have to be somewhat careful with them. Other than that, check out the youtube. There are a bunch of good videos on it. Thats where I learned how to do this. I am a bit of a visual learner anyway.

I understand the visual thing:s0114: I look at blueprints all day and talk with people about things. But unless there is a picture to look at I am lost at times.

I just posted in another thread that the website NitroPak also has <broken link removed> . They are more expensive than the mylar bags you seal with the hot sealer, but if you are only going to have a few buckets of food, this may be more cost effective for you.

I just bought mylar bags. I have some preps I had been keeping in the square 4-5gal buckets, but thought maybe mylar and some O2 absorbers will make things last longer.

As we eat out of our preps to keep good rotation, upstairs we store things in 1gal, 1/2gal and quart canning jars with plastic lids you get at Fred Meyers, when we run out or run low, we refill out of our long term storage. So I get into them on a regular basis, as a result I bought the giant ziplock ones from USA Emergency Supply.

From my reading I think I will be sprinkling a bit of Diatomaceous Earth in with my beans, rices, peas, then I will put some dry ice on top(not directly but maybe in a bowl) as the CO2 from the dry ice will push to the bottom and get the oxygen out, then I will throw in 3-500cc O2 absobers, seal and be done with it. Can't wait to see how it goes.

I just bought mylar bags. I have some preps I had been keeping in the square 4-5gal buckets, but thought maybe mylar and some O2 absorbers will make things last longer.

As we eat out of our preps to keep good rotation, upstairs we store things in 1gal, 1/2gal and quart canning jars with plastic lids you get at Fred Meyers, when we run out or run low, we refill out of our long term storage. So I get into them on a regular basis, as a result I bought the giant ziplock ones from USA Emergency Supply.

From my reading I think I will be sprinkling a bit of Diatomaceous Earth in with my beans, rices, peas, then I will put some dry ice on top(not directly but maybe in a bowl) as the CO2 from the dry ice will push to the bottom and get the oxygen out, then I will throw in 3-500cc O2 absobers, seal and be done with it. Can't wait to see how it goes.

dont need to do the dry ice thing. Just put your beans and rice into the bag throw in the appropriate amount of 02 absorbers, seal 3/4 the way, fold over and push out as much air as you can, then seal the mylar bag the rest of the way passing through both the side and the top seal at a 45° angle (like you are cutting the corner off). as for the diatomaceous earth, I think thats over kill. Most critters besides botulism and a couple others, cannot survive when there is no air. Once the bucket is open however thats another story. Best thing to do is keep a tight fitting lid (air tight being ideal) on the container that your are storing it in once you cut open the mylar bag. Also, consuming the food item in a timely manner definitely helps some.

You should have let me know about the bags. I had a bunch of 5gallon bags left over from bucketing up some stuff a while ago. Got about 20 left now.

dont need to do the dry ice thing. Just put your beans and rice into the bag throw in the appropriate amount of 02 absorbers, seal 3/4 the way, fold over and push out as much air as you can, then seal the mylar bag the rest of the way passing through both the side and the top seal at a 45&#176; angle (like you are cutting the corner off). as for the diatomaceous earth, I think thats over kill. Most critters besides botulism and a couple others, cannot survive when there is no air. Once the bucket is open however thats another story. Best thing to do is keep a tight fitting lid (air tight being ideal) on the container that your are storing it in once you cut open the mylar bag. Also, consuming the food item in a timely manner definitely helps some.

You should have let me know about the bags. I had a bunch of 5gallon bags left over from bucketing up some stuff a while ago. Got about 20 left now.

Ah the resouces we forget are at our fingertips. While I'm at it. If someone wants to borrow my 15" strip sealer, they are more than welcome to.

Forgive my manners Cheese, thanks for the insight and tips!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top