JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cabelas is having an upcoming sale (Mar 4th) and she's considering a Streamlight TLR-8 (Light & Laser combo)

They're pricey even on sale, but are they worth it?

Anyone here have one either red or green?

If so, are you glad you bought?

Thanks

I consider a WML to be a mandatory accessory for my carry pistol. Target illumination and identification is extremely important.

I consider a laser to be more of an intimidation accessory than one needed for effective self defense, but it could aid in shooting in non traditional positions where proper sight alignment isn't taking place.

That being said, the kimber micro 9mm which I bought for both my mom and fiancé I purposely made sure had the crimson trace laser grip because if either of them did need to use their pistol in self defense I wanted it to give any possible advantage it could. Since neither of them practice shooting as much as they should, the laser serves to assist put accurate shots on target during what would already be a stressful situation.

Green shows up better in the day for me, but ultimately is user preference.

Your first error it seems is going to cabelas seeking something bargain priced. The name comes with a mark up and I would be very confident you could find the same product elsewhere online for a percentage less than cabelas offers it even on sale.

I have the TLR-3 HL G

I am thinking of getting the new TLR-8

I like the high output of the HL model, and the green laser better than a red laser.

If you want the best though, I would recommend Surefire, but it is $$$

Streamlight brand is OK. I have a few TLR models. When I wanted a laser, I moved away from the brand.
My G19 sports a green Lasermax Guide-rod laser and a Surefire X300U-B. The two I mention add significantly to overall cost, but durability and functionality are key to my decisions

Yes, she's a good shot.

Are those of you 'not fans of lasers' because they don't hold zero or very difficult to master or...?

As to buying from Cabelas, especially sale items, my experience has been excellent.

I do shop around first too...

I have a TLR2 on my G17 for home defense, and like it a lot. I've had it several years, before the high output models came out, but it's still a solid, bright light. The laser is almost useless in daylight; I've had it at the range on sunny days and could barely see it. I'm not worried about seeing the target and sights during the day, it's night when the tool comes into play. And in that situation, it works great. Though, I'm with the other commenters, the laser is a solid intimidation tool, but when the SHTF, I'll be using the light to line up the sights and the laser to scare the bad guy downrange. As they say, one man's opinion....

Everything I have read says a laser encourages crappy practices. I.e. searching for the laser rather than just aiming the sights.

This is all from online, YMMV.

Bigger issue with the rail mounted ones on a pistol is holding 0.

I like a light/laser combo for nighttime home defense. Since I'm not a fan of nightsights, the combo looks good in the dark. The bullet goes into the center of the light, and the laser should help. One thing I am not a fan of is clearing the house with the laser always on, nor the light always on. Such things reveal your progress thru the home.

My brother practiced in daylight a lot with his laser on a Shield, his skills never did increase. IME at 15yds the laser is hard to see, and at less yardage I don't need it since I am snap shooting anyway.

I have issues with lights, they have gotten so bright they will ruin your night vision for hours. They also provide a target for bad guys. Operating solo with a light may not be wise.
Lasers can be cool if you have a cat.

Frankly I do all my best work in the dark.;)

I have issues with lights, they have gotten so bright they will ruin your night vision for hours. They also provide a target for bad guys. Operating solo with a light may not be wise.
Lasers can be cool if you have a cat.

Frankly I do all my best work in the dark.;)

I don't disagree. I put a combo on my Glock 34 nightstand gun when I had to move into the guest BD because of the wife's injury, but my master BD gun was a Judge... so I had a handheld tactical light there. I was trained to use it only intermittently to verify a target, not to search with it, and to hold it high, forward, and to the side while the photons stun/blind/intimidate (OMG a 7.5' tall homeowner, run!!) the target and spoof his aim... if I get hit in the light hand or arm I survive to win the day.

I have a TLR-4, a TLR-6, and many Crimson Trace lasers.

2vl7k9d-jpg.jpg

Consider the Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro in addition to the TLR-8.

cmr-205_glock_classic_web.jpg

CMR-205 Rail Master Pro Green Laser Sight | Official Crimson Trace

I'm a strong advocate of lasers on carry handguns. I explained why in another post.

If you don't have presbyopia yet you will have it eventually. It makes it hard to focus on near objects, like things you are reading and the sights on a handgun. I have special eyeglasses made to use when I shoot at the range. They allow me to keep the front and rear sights in focus without blurring the target too much.

But I'm not going to be wearing those special glasses in a self-defense situation. If I'm wearing any kind of glasses it would be my usual bifocals.

If I look through the upper far vision part of my bifocals then the sights are completely blurry. If I look through the lower near vision part of my bifocals then the target is completely blurry. Plus, do I really want to be squinting through the narrow part of my bifocals in a self-defense situation, trying to see my fancy night sights?

I realized that because of my presbyopia my sights - any kind of sights, night sights or not - are going to be pretty useless in a self-defense situation, most of which take place in low-light conditions.

So I decided to put lasers on all of my self-defense handguns and practice shooting using just the laser and not the sights.

Even if you don't have presbyopia (yet) lasers also let you focus on the threat instead of on your sights, enhance your ability to maintain peripheral vision and situational awareness, and allow you to shoot from awkward positions or from behind cover without having to get your head behind your sights.

Last Edited:
Thread resurrection.
I want to get a sight but I'm far sighted. So looking at the original gun sight is a bit blurry on the closer part. Would a red dot work for me or a lower laser pointer for a hand gun? Thanks

I primarily shoot 22lr. My problem is my aging eyes do not see iron sights very good. I now have 22 pistols and rifles with Picatinny rails to mount red dot sights. Each gun has its own red dot. I now shoot very accurately. Bought a Taurus TX22 that has a 50% coupon for a Viridian laser sight that mounts in front of the trigger. So, I gave it a try. In the beginning, I was disappointed with sighting it in. It took me a while to learn. I now got it sighted in. Now I'm doing point-shooting. If you are going to get a laser sight, make sure it's adjustable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top