JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my FIL went outside the other night and found someone trying to break into his wife's car. He travels a lot for his job and now wants to get a gun for when she is alone. They called my wife so she could ask me what I thought they should get. I wasn't available so when I got home she told me that she had recommended a handgun to them. I told her since she didn't plan on carrying it that she should get a shotgun as it would be more effective than a handgun and in my opinion easier to hit your target.

My wife's response was in the movies handguns stop the bad guys pretty quickly:s0140:

So I had to explain to her that when you get shot with a handgun that you don't die immediately or get thrown back 15 feet. The funny thing is my wife isn't anti-gun and I have gotten her to shoot occasionally. Just goes to show to show the power of the boob tube. I would wager that 99% of the people that are want to ban guys get all their "gun knowledge" from the movies.

Make sure the new gun owners know that you can't run out in your front yard and point a firearm at some jerk trying to break into your car.

Make sure that along with the new toy comes the new detailed understanding of the LAW. Just to keep everyone happy.

I agree about TV, it's terrible as a reference point. My girl watches all those CSI/Criminal Minds type shows... I keep quiet :)

If you don't know what you're doing it's pretty easy to miss w/ a shotgun too. The cone is very small at close range. You've gotta be able to work the slide w/ confidence. I've seen first time shooters who couldn't open the action on a shotgun. I'd go large frame DA revolver w/ .38's.

If she isn't planning on carrying, I would suggest the Full Size M&P .45. It is awesome, feels great in the hand, has very low recoil relative to other .45's and is great for putting the bullets where you are aiming. My wife tried mine out and was just amazed how she could just start hitting center mass shots from 50 feet away. We don't have a range to practice at 25 feet, which is about the distance you would normally want to practice as that is close to the 21 feet where you should take action if someone is threatening physical violence with a weapon (be it knive, tire iron, etc.) because they can quickly get to you if they are inside of that 21 foot range.

The M&P line is quite nice and, with the exception of the new SHIELD (9mm or .40 cal) they come with several backstraps so you can get the feel you want for your hand. It is the sweetest gun I've fired. And the trigger pull, while somewhat long is not has hard as a revolver using double action so she could have the gun holstered, with a round chambered (personal preference and situation based on who is around the house), and ready to go.

Your wife should have recommended a basic gun safety course first.
People are scary lazy, who in their right mind would arm a person who has zero instruction except what they have seen on TV.
I heard that there are some of my family members who want access to a gun "just in case", but dont want to go to the range, classes or even watch safety videos.
My answer to them is always the same, " This is not a democracy, here you have to EARN the right to carry in my house."

Actually near 90 % of those hit in the center mass with a major caliber handgun and modern expanding ammo do cease aggressive behavior quickly.. it's the bad cases you read about that stick with you, and they do happen

I would wager that 99% of the people that are want to ban guys get all their "gun knowledge" from the movies.

And crime shows on TV. And news reports of shootings. And video games. That's why many of them believe "the ONLY purpose of a gun is to kill". I have seen countless anti-gun posters at Huffington Post (the target-rich environment if you want to debate anti-gunners and prove how ignorant they are) post those exact words, or words to that effect. They generally have never owned, fired, or even touched a firearm. Every time they have seen a gun (in the media) someone was using it to kill.

The only time they see guns on TV (including news reports of shootings) or in movies, someone is shooting or shooting at someone else, usually with a handgun or a fully-automatic firearm. That's what they think of when the subject of an "assault weapon" ban comes up, they think fully-automatic, not semi-automatic, firearms would be banned.

The next time you browse through movies at the store, notice how many feature a gun or guns on the cover.

51w%2BIt-g%2BSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51LjpJ7M5HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 5181sN5RNCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51GsENt9GEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51NQc7sMz%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51M-eS-vgyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51C7G4YDE5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg 510BJ7kkgNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51vmv6IdBoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 519YANDKJ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51NJzRsP4CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51sx782b-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is especially hypocritical for Will Ferrell to use guns to sell his movie, since he is anti-gun rights and is shown as a supporter at the Brady Campaign web site.

How about all the unarmed victims of violent crime who die, are beaten or raped every day because they were not able and or willing to defend themselves?

Should we gunners hold a Day for them?

Thanks for all the comments. I see that everyone is suggesting a handgun but if I wasn't going to carry I would always prefer a shotgun/rifle to a handgun. For me a shotgun is easier to master when you consider the amount of training and has more stopping power.

How about all the unarmed victims of violent crime who die, are beaten or raped every day because they were not able and or willing to defend themselves?

Should we gunners hold a Day for them?

We have anyone that was threatened with a beating, rape or death but defended themselves with a gun light a candle. For life that wasn't needless snuffed out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top