JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a strong cane that can tolerate anything I can throw at it. This cane is remarkable! If you're looking for a can that can deal with the rigors of daily use, this is it. the overall height of the cane (at the top of the crook) is 39 inches. I'll have to lop off about 5 inches of the shaft to use this as a "walking aid". That, and a new cane tip will make this a useable device for both mobility and defense.
After speaking with my Veteran's Administration Primary Care doctor, I was told that he would authorize a cane for my use. What makes this nice is that I'll be provided with the proper courtesy on all modes of public conveyance. (Airlines, Greyhound, and Amtrak). I even get special consideration (mobility impaired) discounts aboard said transportation. They will accept the fact that I need to carry my cane with me. I won't be required to check it with my baggage. (This is advantageous because my cane isn't considered as a part of my baggage).

Let's see you beat that with a stick! (Pun intended). :p

Last Edited:
This thing is a pip! By golly, this can take anything you can throw at it. The beauty is that it is relatively innocuous. Unless you know what it is, it will completely fog by you. I like this. The more people ignore it, the better I like it. It can take all of my weight, without as much as a groan.

If you want an impact weapon that will "hide in plain sight" this is the best item you can purchase to date.

Go to BudK and look into it. You won't be sorry.

If I could post pictures, I would. If you Google-fu BudK and search around for canes, you'll find it. These are great! If you have a physician prescribe a cane and a "mobility aid" you can carry the cane anywhere on common commercial carriers without having to check it with your baggage. You can go online and buy your Amtrak ticket, explaining that you have a "mobility aid" (specifically a cane) and they are required to allow you to carry your cane on board with you. It is not checked on as a part of your two pieces of free baggage onto the train, so it can always be carried with you.

This results in your ability to retain in your possession an "impact weapon" at all times (and there isn't thing one anyone can do about it). US Customs won't bother you, and I doubt Mexican Customs (Aduanas) will give you a second look.

That, my friends, and neighbors, can come in mighty handy.

Nice, I was looking at these for my dad. I might order him the Blackthorn Shillelagh, and the Adjustable Self Defense Cane.

Unless your father speaks Gaelic, It might look a bit strange to have him running around with the Blackthorn Shillelagh.

The Self-Defense cane has a classy, flat-black finish. It is subtle and doesn't draw attention. This is what makes it appropriate in "polite company" I could take it to a church social or even a dinner affair. Unless someone takes a long, hard look at the unit (and takes note the "horn" on the end of the cane's crook) it will go virtually unnoticed.

The only possible drawback to the SD cane is if you are wearing a tuxedo and desire either gold or silver accents on your walking aid. If that's the case, you're out of luck. You'll want a "dressy" accouterment for "black tie" affairs.

Last Edited:
IIRC, the Americans with Disabilities Act says even the Airport Granny Gropers aren't allowed to question you about your disabilities, or did last I knew...

That's the crux *giggle* of the matter. They can't ask me anything. All they can do is look at my airline/train/bus ticket and see that I have a doctor-ordered cane and a boarding pass with a mobility device and on I go. I doubt that the ladies and gentlemen of Amtrak are going to worry too much about the situation.

I mean,last I knew they weren't even allowed to ask "you got a doctor's note for that?" Then again, since when has the Blueshirt Gestapo cared about any rules of the game except their own?

That's fabulous!!!!!

Thanx for the info guys!

I have 3 canes and 2 full length walking staffs. Knew about the VA writing a script but just haven't done it since getting them to sign the papers for my Oregon Disability car sign was a huge hassle. This would be worth the effort tho. :)

Last Edited:
I've been using a cane for about 15 years now and prefer heavier solid wood canes with larger handles.
I hate the adjustable metal canes. Way too light and they make a clicking sound with every step I take.
These canes don't look too bad and are fairly interesting, especially if I'm attacked by a cantaloupe....;)

I mean,last I knew they weren't even allowed to ask "you got a doctor's note for that?" Then again, since when has the Blueshirt Gestapo cared about any rules of the game except their own?

If you don't have a "mobility device" qualifier on the ticket, they can make you check it with your baggage. I have looked online and have confirmed that when you buy your ticket that you have a cane as a "walking aid" they treat the cane as if it is an integral part of your clothing. They do nothing but check your two free bags and wave you on.

I've been using a cane for about 15 years now and prefer heavier solid wood canes with larger handles.
I hate the adjustable metal canes. Way too light and they make a clicking sound with every step I take.
These canes don't look too bad and are fairly interesting, especially if I'm attacked by a cantaloupe....;)

These are sent with the limited-traction cane tip attached with a Phillips-type screw. I removed mine immediately and had it cut five inches to 34" long. I bought the Canex brand Cane Tip(s) and I was off and running. (They came two to a package so I have a spare when the first finally wears out).

What made it even better is that I kept the remaining shaft and kept as a free makeshift Kubotan! (An additional "impact weapon" at no extra cost to me). What a deal!

I am not badly impaired. (Heck, I can still walk a couple of miles before my ankles have swollen to the point of being mildly uncomfortable). A prescription for a cane makes my "constitutional" safer just about anywhere I go. I'll be safer on the streets of Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego or Tijuana with my SD Cane in my hands. With the proper attire, carrying a cane has a suave, debonair look to it.

I'm glad I bought this thing.

I am not badly impaired. (Heck, I can still walk a couple of miles before my ankles have swollen to the point of being mildly uncomfortable). A prescription for a cane makes my "constitutional" safer just about anywhere I go. I'll be safer on the streets of Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego or Tijuana with my SD Cane in my hands. With the proper attire, carrying a cane has a suave, debonair look to it.
Color me jealous... I can do a ten-minute mile on flat ground just fine, but a mile-and-a-half each way to the nearest fast-food shack for breakfast and back in an hour and a half kicks my bubblegum for the whole day... even with rehydrating stops at the halfway of each direction, and the middle half-hour being a break to eat. I suppose having a rather nasty bridge to cross both ways and usually coming off a full night's work don't help much either... maybe I'm just a wuss. lol

I just like having the support of the cane, as well as the ability to fight back anywhere and everywhere I go. You really can't beat having it with you. This cane won't warp, rot, chip, peel, crack or blister.

It is a fine "companion" anywhere and anytime, day or night.

Last Edited:
Color me jealous... I can do a ten-minute mile on flat ground just fine, but a mile-and-a-half each way to the nearest fast-food shack for breakfast and back in an hour and a half kicks my bubblegum for the whole day... even with rehydrating stops at the halfway of each direction, and the middle half-hour being a break to eat. I suppose having a rather nasty bridge to cross both ways and usually coming off a full night's work don't help much either... maybe I'm just a wuss. lol

You really should order one of these. It will last you the rest of your life and with a bit of regular training (and some self-discipline) you can carry anywhere with impunity. To heck with them all. Your safety and the safety of those around you is more important than the shrill whine from the Left.

To the devil with them!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads