JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother and I bought little personal pontoon boats from Costco back in 2015 for $300 and discovered that they were the cat's meow for river and small lake fishing in good weather.

Our favorite trip is to the Coeur D'Alene River to fish for Cutthroat Trout. We have a buddy with property right on the river and we go upriver about 7 miles and get dropped off and float down all day with coolers full of drinks and snacks.

Most beautiful and relaxing time I have all summer...

View attachment 544606

th2JHS7P2Q.jpg

On the other extreme is when we go Kokanee fishing on Dworshak reservoir near Orofino, ID. We have a family cabin down there and dad has a 26' foot Carver with full galley, head, and stateroom.

We head out and troll for hours just drinking and smoking cigars and shooting the breeze. Almost as relaxing as the float trips...

View attachment 544609

That is definitely my favorite float trip, although I sometimes prefer the St.Joe (usually when I happen to be there).
I've never really been much into kokanee, unless I'm fishing for mackinaw with one of these...

E87D5917-98F1-4CA4-A469-63972AF1D59A.jpeg

Sweet, kokes are landlocked Sockeye salmon and very fine eating. I never target them but occasionally catch some nice sized ones while trolling for their anadromous cousins in Baker Lk. I used to release them until I killed and ate one. Delicious!

Nice! I camped and skied Dworshak a few times years ago. I remember it being pretty chilly. Beautiful reservoir. We found some sweet rock cliffs to jump off of.

That's the nice thing about floating the river; you eventually just end up back at camp no matter how tired or drunk you get.

That's the nice thing about floating the river; you eventually just end up back at camp no matter how tired or drunk you get.

Spent some summers tubing the Chetco River in SW Oregon for about 7 miles... sooo peaceful!

BTW, there used to be "raft races" here on the Grande Ronde River during Memorial Day weekend. It was a drunkfest of both college students and mid-aged alike. Many homemade rafts too. One year the water was very very high with runoff and a drunk college kid drowned... no more raft race. :oops::(

Sweet, kokes are landlocked Sockeye salmon and very fine eating. I never target them but occasionally catch some nice sized ones while trolling for their anadromous cousins in Baker Lk. I used to release them until I killed and ate one. Delicious!

A few lakes in WA have landlock Coho and they taste amazing like the sockey.
Where is that Pac man smilie....:D

My brother and I bought little personal pontoon boats from Costco back in 2015 for $300 and discovered that they were the cat's meow for river and small lake fishing in good weather.

Our favorite trip is to the Coeur D'Alene River to fish for Cutthroat Trout. We have a buddy with property right on the river and we go upriver about 7 miles and get dropped off and float down all day with coolers full of drinks and snacks.

Most beautiful and relaxing time I have all summer...

View attachment 544606

View attachment 544607

On the other extreme is when we go Kokanee fishing on Dworshak reservoir near Orofino, ID. We have a family cabin down there and dad has a 26' foot Carver with full galley, head, and stateroom.

We head out and troll for hours just drinking and smoking cigars and shooting the breeze. Almost as relaxing as the float trips...

View attachment 544609

30 years ago I had a drift boat and absolutely loved the solitude of the oars lapping the current & the trickle of the tailouts.
I plan to make Dwarshak my home fishery once we move east of Lewiston.
We are going to make a winter trip this year to scope things out.;)

Hi, my name is Jim and I am a Kokanee addict.....:D:D:D

I'll forego pics since I have a metric ton of em...

That's a beautiful area, Caveman. I probably would have settled there myself if it weren't for my wife's job.

Years ago I was doing the fiber optic job in Boise during the Randy Weaver trial. We were working in the tunnels in between the buildings and it got to be a p i t a to get any work done with all the security so we took a week off.
I scrambled up to the Lewiston area and headed east fishing the Clearwater with a friend out of his jet sled.
That's where I'd rather wind up planting myself for the duration of what's left of my time.;)

Last Edited:
Just ordered another pontoon boat for my girlfriend...

Went to the Costco site since I was telling her she should get one for the summer and I wanted to make sure they still had them. Saw that they were on sale for $70 off and now only $259. Figured I could use an extra one even though mine is still going strong after four years... Now they are green, though.

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=1215907&recipeId=728.jpg

Pretty neat set-up, are you transporting them inflated or inflate once on site?

I have a utility trailer that I use to haul mine, along with my camping stuff. My brother breaks his down and deflates his so it fits in his camper that he tows. Takes about 15 minutes to put it together and inflate it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top