JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a couple Spike's Tactical AR lower receivers for my AR projects (doing one at a time, lol). Got them at Blackwater Tactical earlier today. Figured I'd post my AR builds here (is this the correct section? lol). I was looking at the Spike's Advanced lower parts kit, but wanted to see what other people thought/have used. I'm new to building ARs, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions over the coming months (or maybe years, lol). Anyways, here's a pic of the the only two they had in stock :s0155:

I did a couple recently. Pretty easy just take care to not force anything. Spend a couple 20 dollar bills on some basic tools and it will go together much easier. I did a Rock River and an Anderson. Used CMMG LPK from AR15SPORT.COM, AR15,M16, M4 parts and accessories.

MidwayUSA has a pretty good video on how to assemble from butt plate to flash hider. He's got every cool tool for doing the job. You will only need the basics though.

MidwayUSA - Video Library

I did a couple recently. Pretty easy just take care to not force anything. Spend a couple 20 dollar bills on some basic tools and it will go together much easier. I did a Rock River and an Anderson. Used CMMG LPK from AR15SPORT.COM, AR15,M16, M4 parts and accessories.

MidwayUSA has a pretty good video on how to assemble from butt plate to flash hider. He's got every cool tool for doing the job. You will only need the basics though.

MidwayUSA - Video Library

Yup the right tools does help a lot .. I pick up the whole gunsmith kit from midway and boy does it come in hande...

After doing some reading, I think I want to get a 1:7" twist 18"-20" barrel for the longer range one (planning to shoot heavier grain ammunition). Anyone have any recommendations? All the ones I can find (in a complete upper) run $1500+! I was hoping for around $600 or so for the complete upper. Willing to spend a little more if I have to if it makes that much of a difference in quality. I also want a flat top and a threaded end for a suppressor, lol.

Take a look at Del-Ton. Complete uppers from $400. As for twist, 1:9 should be all you'd need for any bullet you'll load for magazine length. Much heavier than 77gr and you're looking at OAL's that you'll have to single load.

If you opted for a $400 upper from Del-Ton, shoot it with your desired loads and then later change out the barrel if not satisfied. Everything I've purchased from them has been good quality.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 20" Post-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly

So I have an update!

I'll post pictures this weekend, but I have done a little work and tons of research on one of my lowers. I installed a Spike's enhanced lower kit this week, and also bought a tapco buffer tube, magpul CTR butt-stock, two ProMag 42rd mags and two Tapco 30rd mags. I've also changed my mind a little on what kind of upper receiver I'd like to get. As of right now, I'm torn between two and was hoping to get some feed back. First one is a Noveske Rogue Hunter A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly (5.56x45mm) with a 1:7 Twist 18" 416SS barrel, NSR-13.5 free float handguard, and a flash hider. It's $1060 plus shipping and it's a month back ordered. The other one is a BCM 18" 410SS 1:8 Twist with a VTAC ALPHA 13" handguard and flash hider (also 5.56x45mm). It's $750, but doesn't come with a bolt carrier group or a charging handle. After those, it will be close to the Noveske in cost, but a tad cheaper. Good thing, is that it's in stock. My goal is to have a lighter weight 300m accurate rifle. I'll be shooting 62 grain green tip M855 5.56 ammo (bought 1000rds of PMC X-Tac stuff) for now, but plan on sticking to 62 grain or higher. I still have zero idea on what kind of optics I'll need, so input there is also appreciated :) I'm such a noob... ha ha

I like my 2 1-8 twist barrels. They don't care what weight/length bullet you use.
The competitors love their Noveskies,so if the price doesn't scare you,go with that one. or for a more versatile twist,go with the BCM and get the nickel boron BCG. Then it WILL be more expensive than the Novie,lol

As for a scope,the AR doesn't recoil very hard so a less expensive scope isn't a big deal as a heavy bore rifle,unless you intend to have it out in bad weather a lot.
Having said that and owning cheap scopes for my ARs,spend as much as you can on the scopes and you will be happier.Good optic are just so much nicer,even when just plinking
I have a 4-16 and a 6-24 on my ARs.Vortex brand.I would really shop around for the one you like best.

And quit buying Tapco parts. Spend the $1 more and get good stuff.

I like my 2 1-8 twist barrels. They don't care what weight/length bullet you use.
The competitors love their Noveskies,so if the price doesn't scare you,go with that one. or for a more versatile twist,go with the BCM and get the nickel boron BCG. Then it WILL be more expensive than the Novie,lol

As for a scope,the AR doesn't recoil very hard so a less expensive scope isn't a big deal as a heavy bore rifle,unless you intend to have it out in bad weather a lot.
Having said that and owning cheap scopes for my ARs,spend as much as you can on the scopes and you will be happier.Good optic are just so much nicer,even when just plinking
I have a 4-16 and a 6-24 on my ARs.Vortex brand.I would really shop around for the one you like best.

And quit buying Tapco parts. Spend the $1 more and get good stuff.

Ha ha, a friend let me know about the tapco stuff as well, AFTER I already bought the mags and buffer tube. I wont grab any more, but at least it was only on those two things :) lol. Would a higher power ACOG not be enough for the range I'd like? Thanks for the input!

User ability will dictate range as much as the optics does. You will not go wrong with BCM or Noveske. Both top quality parts, accurate, etc. Both those barrels should show amazing accuracy provided using good ammo.

300yds should be no problem with a basic Acog or a 1-4x with practice. And you really shouldn't let your BCM/Noveske play with Tapco and Promag. there's bound to be a rumble when they meet up ;-)

User ability will dictate range as much as the optics does. You will not go wrong with BCM or Noveske. Both top quality parts, accurate, etc. Both those barrels should show amazing accuracy provided using good ammo.

300yds should be no problem with a basic Acog or a 1-4x with practice. And you really shouldn't let your BCM/Noveske play with Tapco and Promag. there's bound to be a rumble when they meet up ;-)

I didn't know Promag was sub-par, lol. What issues will the Tapco buffer tube have? Being a noob with this stuff, it's hard to know what's good and what's not. I just figured that if it was made in the USA, it was decent. lol

Here's a picture of what I have so far!

I did nick it a little when putting in one of the cotter pins. Any suggestions on patching the finish so it doesn't look terrible? lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top