JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we did end up going to the beach on Sat.

Took the Explorer over the car for 4 wheel drive and comfort.

Took the dog as always and he had such a good time that he slept all the way home, all night and most of Sun:D.

I was going for gas mileage and ended up in the slow lane many times and pulled over a few times to let people get around me, I was under the speed limit 90% of the time.

Drove up thru Longview and then crossed over to Hwy 30 and out to Astoria.

Pulled over to look around the outside of the marine museum and had some nostalgia moments since I grew up in my earlier years on the ocean and then on the Columbia river when we moved state side. No jungles around so the ocean is as close to going home as I can get.

Ended up walking up to the new Moe's right as they opened and grabbed some grub - it's ok food imo.

Headed north to long beach (not wanting to deal with heading into the unknown south) where we found a kite festival going on, which was cool to watch for awhile.

Grabbed some chowder to go for dinner at home and went to the llwaco Lighthouse. I was getting really tired by then so just the kid and Wife went over to see it. I got to chill with the dog and whatch dragonflys zipping around.

After that we took the scenic route back on the WA side and saw a lot of cool stuff (was worth the extra time).

Then I hit a snag... some dipship and a passenger with a huge backpack full of junk on a smaller motorcycle going 10-15 miles an hour under. That wasn't what was chapping my bum though. This dude did NOT know how to drive the thing.

He was breaking thru corners, shifting his whole body to make gentle curves that should not have needed aggressive maneuvers.

I figured the bike was going to go off the road or get laid down in front of our eyes.

This went on for miles and miles - lots of people piling up behind me and the bike never once made an effort to pull over:mad:.

I finally got a straight away and went to pass him and of course he sped up:confused:, so now I've passed him and am going well above the speed limit.

I slowed down some and tried to put some distance between us. After a junction and going up a small hill I was going a wee bit too fast and was just letting the truck naturally decelerate when all of a sudden comes a state trooper around the corner heading at us.

I looked at the speedometer and glanced back in my mirror to se said trooper making a u-turn and start to catch up too us, I knew I was getting a ticket...

He pulled us over and I did the 'routine', find a place to pull way off to give the cop a large safe area to approach the car, rolled down my window and put the keys on the dash with my hands slightly open at the top of the wheel. (Was a bit of a lead foot as a kid so I've been there and done that)

He approached and gave me his name and badge number while letting me know that I was being recorded with his body cam that he pointed too. (That was a first for me, it's been a long long time since I was pulled over)

He asked if I new the speed limit was 55 and I said yes, and that I was in the process of decelerating from coming down the hill.

Then he asked for the usual and we did not have our insurance card in the car and I had taken mine out of my wallet after washing it two weeks ago.

Then he asked where we were headed and where we had been. I answered heading home after being at the kite festival and having a bit of a trip before my kid went back too college.

After that he asked me to hang on and went back to his truck. Came back up and I immediately noticed that he had my info and license but no ticket pad!

He asked if we had found our insurance card or could pull up an app (my wife took her card into work and forgot to bring it back after it was copiedo_O).

After explaining our odd events that led to no insurance card he said to be a little more careful with my speed and have a safe drive home!

We got on the road again with everyone's adrenaline or anxiety peaked and I mentioned how cool that was of the trooper to let us off the hook, then my wife replies, "I didn't care if we got a ticket, I just didn't want that azzhat on the bike to drive by", LOL. He must have taken a different road cuz we never saw him.

It was a good day:cool:

IMG_1833.JPG IMG_1854.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1874.JPG

He is 13 now and going strong but a little slower;).

Hearing and sight is headed down hill but I expect he will hang in for another 3-5 years. I hope.

I did it once and won't ever again just for the reason you stated. Someone poking along going 40-45 until you get to a passing lane, then they speed up. I had to hit 80 to get around one of these. When it went back to one lane and I never saw them, or anyone else, again.

My two best reasons to go out to the coast are Bowpicker Fish & Chips in Astoria and Devil Dogs at the Long Beach Bakery.

Glad you didn't get a ticket Joe. The Oregon and Washington coast is beautiful. Makes for a nice day to just go poke around various beaches, whichever way you go home.

As a motorcyclist, I pay lots of attention to others on scoots. In my car I was stuck for many miles behind a slow bike going over the coast range one night. He wasn't doing anything stupid, just doing 50mph (about 10-15 less than everyone tends to go on that road) so there were several dozen vehicles queued up to get around him wherever they could.

Took several passing lanes for those ahead of me to pass him 5-6 at a time and finally it was my turn next. I don't tailgate, but even from 100 feet back, I could tell it was a custom/chopper style bike by the bowlegged rider's position, huge rear tire and sparkly tangerine flake paintjob on a WIDE rear fender.

I finally got a long straightaway and a passing lane so I punched it, looking (of course) as I passed to see what sort of custom rig this guy was riding. It was a V8! A chromed up Chevy 350 I think... Boss Hoss Cycles

Cool to see. But now, what I will NEVER understand is how he was able to idle along like that, resisting any urge to honk the throttle on that long straight, even the slightest bit, and let it rumble.

Glad you didn't get a ticket Joe. The Oregon and Washington coast is beautiful. Makes for a nice day to just go poke around various beaches, whichever way you go home.

As a motorcyclist, I pay lots of attention to others on scoots. In my car I was stuck for many miles behind a slow bike going over the coast range one night. He wasn't doing anything stupid, just doing 50mph (about 10-15 less than everyone tends to go on that road) so there were several dozen vehicles queued up to get around him wherever they could.

Took several passing lanes for those ahead of me to pass him 5-6 at a time and finally it was my turn next. I don't tailgate, but even from 100 feet back, I could tell it was a custom/chopper style bike by the bowlegged rider's position, huge rear tire and sparkly tangerine flake paintjob on a WIDE rear fender.

I finally got a long straightaway and a passing lane so I punched it, looking (of course) as I passed to see what sort of custom rig this guy was riding. It was a V8! A chromed up Chevy 350 I think... Boss Hoss Cycles

Cool to see. But now, what I will NEVER understand is how he was able to idle along like that, resisting any urge to honk the throttle on that long straight, even the slightest bit, and let it rumble.
Probably scared he would not be able to slow down lol or just scared

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads