JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only have experience with one of three guns you named and that is the XDS. I sold mine just before the recall mainly because it was a handful to shoot and was slow to double tap with due to the stout recoil but was a dream to carry concealed. I bought the Glock 30SF which is a little bit of a challenge to carry but it shoots great and is the most accurate gun I have ever owned and for summer I carry the Sig P938 which you might want to look in to. 9mm but carries ausome and shoots great. Good luck...

Last Edited:
I understand what your saying about getting a bigger caliber for a better all around weapon believe me. I do however think the better choice for cc would be the Beretta nano 9. I bought one for my wife's cc and it has worked out exquisitely. I carry it myself when I'm home and its very minimal buldge as well as its lightweight construction make it ideal. Yea the .40 is bigger but the 9 is faster in a quick spot and if u can't put your assailant down or at least run him off with 10 rounds you don't need a cc. Lol. Now this just my opinion but carry the 9 and keep that .40 in the nightstand.

Last Edited:
to MODELER, THANK YOU, i was getting frustrated quickly at seeing their picks and i am glad others have things to share but ive seen it all. thank you this made my day

Out of those three I'd pick the PX4. It's compact and easy to conceal relative to the other two,
The PX4 is way thicker than the XDs and I've fired both. I prefer my XDs .45 (when it comes back from Springfield it will be a joyous day). I like that I can use a Sticky Holster with the XDs and even wear a tucked in dress shirt and it is definitely not noticeable. I don't think I'd be as likely to pull that off using the PX4. But the PX4 is a great and accurate pistol for sure.

and the fully ambidextrous controls are good for lefties like yourself :s0155:
So does the XDs. And the PX4 and XDs both do not have slide stops on both sides. The XDs has the ambi mag release but has no safety like the PX4 so it doesn't need that on either side. LOL

The XDS is the only one small enough that I would be likely to carry it often. I have a PX4 but consider it to big for cc. It doesn't do you any good to have a carry gun too big to carry all the time. The others are about as big as your 1911 for all intents.

I hear what you mean about the striker fired guns. I used to feel that if it didn't have a hammer, a physical striking device that I couldn't see, I didn't trust it. Now I know it's just BS that we tell ourselves when we're new. All guns are clubs until you pull the trigger. It's really just preference.

I would say out of those choices that if you've shot the XDS in .45 and like it, go for it. It will stay in your CC rotation. That's right, rotation. You'll realize that a thin pistol is great but the .45 gives you like 5 or 6 rounds. Soon you'll decide you want something with a higher capacity. Then you'll buy a 9mm. Look at ballistic gel videos of the major carry calibers. The difference when using hollow points is that .45 is insane but 9mm is still great.

I think eventually you, like me, will end up wanting a mid-sized (4" bbl) pistol in 9mm. I carry a Walther P99AS which has a decocker so it's a DA/SA. Kind of my compromise between hammer-fired actions and striker (as far as the DA is concerned). Plus I love the trigger, the grip ergos and the mag release is exactly how they should all be. Why break your grip to push a button? Once you're empty you use your index finger to release the magazine. Perfect!

Personally I think size and form factor should be your first consideration given your needs regarding HOW you'll be carrying and what you'll be doing for the majority of the time WHILE you're carrying. Given you're requirements, I feel there are better pistols in the 9mm variety to fill that roll. All that said, I started carrying a .45, currently carry a .40 and am shopping for a 9mm :)

Wrapping up... The other two will turn into occasional carry, HD or range guns. The FN is a fairly large frame and if I remember has a pretty high bore axis. The Px4 has a safety similar to a 92fs in that you flick the safety up to fire, the opposite of a 1911. That ruled it out while I was looking. The XDS 9 or 45 will always fill your CC role regardless of what you're wearing and if you practice only power-stroking the slide, the fact that the slide lock/release is on the left side will only matter while doing maintenance and clearing double-feeds which you can train for. Plus if you do a lot of driving, I recommend thinking about appendix carry. The 3.3" barrel of the XDS will fill that roll better as well. Carrying on your ankle is a last resort, small of back is dangerous and along with 4-5 o'clock, uncomfortable for more than like 30 minutes in the car. Also if it helps, the XDS has a grip safety like a 1911 :) and just so everyone knows I'm not biased, I don't own an XD. I shot an XDM compact .45 and was suprised how nice the recoil was but didn't love the gun. Just my dime. Hopefully it's helpful.

As far as the person who started the thread I highly recommend borrowing and carrying one of your choices for a day. Aside from the xd I have the others and they are not anywhere near my list of carry choice. My M&P 40 with 15 rounds is the only full size I will carry if I feel I am going into a nasty area. If you feel you need that much power then a short .357 would be up on my list as I carry a sp101 sometimes. Other than that I trust my new Shield 9mm and quite a few compact 9s like a glock 19. But daily a sig 232 or 230sl if you can find one or a older ppk in .380 suit me just fine. A double stack Beretta 84 or cz 83 with 13 rounds of .380 is my favorite carry of all though. Light yet accurate and with todays self defense .380 ammo plenty of punch for an accurate shot. A full size 40 is a winter gun if anything for me. But back to power a .357 is the highest one shot kill pistol caliber made. If you cannot take your target out with 5 or 6 and a speed loader in the pocket or belt you should go back to shooting targets for a while.

I just read 1k. I recommend a glock 23 as you like 40 and it is the same size as a 19 with night sights and a crimson trace. You will be able to buy 500 rounds after all that and have a gun you will adore. The Glock 23 somehow makes a 40 cal in a compact very comfortable to me and gets back to target quick. I suggest laser because with your budget I do not recommend for aim but for the fear a laser puts on a person wishing to do you harm. A red dot on your chest really makes one stop and think in my experience. Glock 23 is one of my favorite 40cal pistols I have to date. next to the CZ 75 compact 40.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top