JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry 24/7 and I give it as much thought as the wallet in my back pocket. Do you only put your wallet in your pocket when you specifically plan to drive or spend money? Should leaving my wallet in my back pocket all day label me as a "paranoid" consumer? How about the fingernail clippers in my front pocket? Perhaps I'm paranoid about getting a hangnail? I'll stop carrying regularly when criminals start publishing their schedules ahead of time.

The "societal collapse" that most forum members prepare for is a general term describing some kind of calamity that produces specific results ("world of chaos" wackos notwithstanding). Hurricane Katrina is a good example where a huge natural disaster was followed by an almost equally destructive circus of government. Not much point in moving when calamity can strike anywhere. There is wisdom in the two-prong approach: Preparing for a variety of disasters, and preparing to vacate your location if it becomes necessary.

Everybody makes their own choice about how much trouble they're willing to endure to mitigate a particular risk. Putting a gun on my belt in the morning is a quick and simple thing to do; dismantling my car to look for bombs is a bit less convenient.

As for the aforementioned "brainwashing", Capitalism isn't the problem; the problem is exactly what it has always been and will always be: The use of power and money to seize more power and money. This is inherent in any system of government established by people because greed and lust for power are inherent human failings. I defy anyone to describe a system of government that cannot be abused by combining those who do wrong with those who do nothing about it.

I see it like this. I like to watch Wednesday night at the range on the outdoor channel, but there are a couple of defense shows on there. I watched them a couple times but then I told the wife that I would rather live with a little more danger in my life than to live in the paranoid world that these guys live in.
Some people, like the ones on the shows, think you need to make a tactical assessment of every situation every moment of every day. You need to have a primary and secondary plan, at least two guns and three flashlights and all the extra ammo that you could need to wage a small war.
I just ignore any threads that I am not interested in.
If they want to have fun by planning a plan and a backup plan for if the bad men show up to grandma's funeral, let them have their fun. I don't have to listen. I take protection measures that I think are sufficient and don't let it rule my life.

Now.... if you wanted to start a thread about hunting with vintage black powder cartridge firearms or maybe about long distance target I just might join in on that one! Not saying I've got a ton to add to the thread but I just might join in!

I carry 24/7 and I give it as much thought as the wallet in my back pocket. Do you only put your wallet in your pocket when you specifically plan to drive or spend money? Should leaving my wallet in my back pocket all day label me as a "paranoid" consumer? How about the fingernail clippers in my front pocket? Perhaps I'm paranoid about getting a hangnail? I'll stop carrying regularly when criminals start publishing their schedules ahead of time.

The "societal collapse" that most forum members prepare for is a general term describing some kind of calamity that produces specific results ("world of chaos" wackos notwithstanding). Hurricane Katrina is a good example where a huge natural disaster was followed by an almost equally destructive circus of government. Not much point in moving when calamity can strike anywhere. There is wisdom in the two-prong approach: Preparing for a variety of disasters, and preparing to vacate your location if it becomes necessary.

Everybody makes their own choice about how much trouble they're willing to endure to mitigate a particular risk. Putting a gun on my belt in the morning is a quick and simple thing to do; dismantling my car to look for bombs is a bit less convenient.

As for the aforementioned "brainwashing", Capitalism isn't the problem; the problem is exactly what it has always been and will always be: The use of power and money to seize more power and money. This is inherent in any system of government established by people because greed and lust for power are inherent human failings. I defy anyone to describe a system of government that cannot be abused by combining those who do wrong with those who do nothing about it.

+1 your spot on and I completely agree with you. Bail outs are not any part of capitalism BTW people. Nor is bribing politicians, nor giving a private bank the ability to counterfit our money.

Call me anything you want but the three abuses above are happening and have been happening for a very long time. It's not the failure of capatalism, democrecy, or our sociaty.

You have to take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. Internet forums are notorious refuges for the socially ill adapted for the most part...add the gun factor into it and you end up with quite a collection of undesirables. Do not believe me? Show up for one of the meet and greet at my bar sometime. ;) :D :)

photo_2-2.jpg

You have to understand, a lot of that talk happens here, because that is what these forums are about. They are about guns, self defense, and preparedness as well and just a hobby board. It is why people come here. You just have to try and ignore the people that take it, and themselves, way too seriously. I am a fairly secure person. I am one of those people that just never feels that threatened. I recognize the dangers of the world but walk dumbly through it in ignorant bliss most of the time. Still, I enjoy the odd end of the world or zombie hoard thread myself from time to time. :)

You do get the odd bigot and hateful moron. Those you just have to engage to the point of rattling their cage enough to get their blood pressure up. Just for the sheer joy of watching them foam at the mouth and knowing you just added another dark spot to their dreary, pitiful existence.

Last Edited:
:D:D:D yup that's me, ole doom and gloom. I guess my view of the world upsets people. Alot of people don't want to see the world the way I see it, they are probably right and I am wrong. So what to have an opinion on that doesn't upset people.... say how about them blazers or...:s0112::s0112:

oh well

jj:D

While I completely agree and feel a lot of people that visit sites like this are the tin hat sort of people. I think that's part of the appeal. People are attracted to that kind of gossip if you will. Some people just don't know what's going on, and some people just like to spill whatever useless knowledge they have seen on the net.

Whatever the reason, I love this site and have learned so much from it's members. There are some "tin hats" on here, there's some people that seem like their just waiting for the showdown with the govt, and there's some people I've gotten irrated with because of their views, but all in all this is a great site with a lot of great people tha just want to share their knowledge to help make us safer and help with firearms related issues.

I'm moving out of the northwest soon, but I will still be using this site for sure. :s0155:

I've been to alot of forums...and this one is the best so far...much more civil and mature then others...

People are entitled to their opinions, and yes, you have to sift through alot of mud to find some pearls of wisdom, but that's why I keep coming back...there is some perspective, something to learn, that ultimately, makes me a little smarter, more evolved, more effective...hopefully my comments help others to do the same.

There are certain sections of the forum to avoid if you don't want to deal with people's paranoia. Stay out of the survival and preparedness section. There is some useful information that shows up, but a lot is the tin foil hat crowd ranting. The off-topic section has some as well. But hey, its off topic, so its expected. The problem with this or any other sight is that once a thread is started, it generally degenerates into one of several arguments. Open carry vs. concealed carry, my guns better than your gun, this works/this doesn't work...
But hey, focus on the good and filter out the crap. But every once in a while, its entertaining to get involved in the ranting...

Warning: rant

Not just this firearms forum but every firearms forum I've been to.

If I have broken some sort of rule in this post please inform me I will delete the content.

Is it just me? I find that there are way to many post about the failure of our society and/or how to be prepared since every location you can be killed. I find that from what I read I only really take a small amount to heart and dismiss the rest. There are some very good points, while others seem to cry wolf.

If I "save for a rainy day" and it never rains, did I make a mistake? If I prepare for the possibility of a major earthquake and it doesn't happen, did I make a mistake?

If I want to participate in discussion so I can learn and share how to do that, did I make a mistake?

Isn't the choice to prepare a personal one which we shouldn't criticize, either way?

Our social collapse
When I read about people ranting on about how our society in the US will succumb to chaos in the near future I wonder why those people are still living here. To me it's common sense that if I believe that there is danger beyond my control I leave that situation as soon as possible. Therefore why haven't people moved to a safe or safer location in the world? Why choose to live in a country that will surely fall and become chaotic? Why gamble with your life and the lives of your loved ones? By staying you are saying that here is as good as it gets.

Imho this is as good as it gets. There's no where else I'd rather be. Why should I have to leave just because I'd like to see some changes? Do I have to think it's perfect to be allowed to stay?

Personal protection
I understand that in every situation there is always a potential danger. However I think there is an irrational amount of fear out there. Why should I fear that I will be shot going to the bathroom in my own home, should I also be checking for an explosive under my car every time it leave my sight? Why I should I fear, acknowledge and prepare for being sniped every time I leave my home? Do I go everywhere with a bullet proof armor? Should I fear everyone that is different than I <-- this is how the Japanese came to be captive in interment camps. How is living in this type of fear even comfortable? Why haven't people that think this way moved out of danger?

Imho our society is a lot different than it was just a few decades ago. I think it's more dangerous out there.

Now, do I have to believe I'll be in a wreck today to put on my seat belt or to put on my motorcycle helmet and leathers, or is it rather OK for me to wear them "just in case?" Am I paranoid when I lock my doors at night and switch on the alarm?

Overall
I understand all people posting on this forum only have good intensions and are simply trying to give advise so others can be aware. Stop blaming the republican/liberals for this Country's hard time, it is ultimately the fault of the society. If you really think it's their fault why not run for mayor, governor, house, senate, or for president? If you want to complain about how this country is running why don't you do something about it or leave to a country hat fits your views. CNN, FOX news they all ran by the same thing…. profits, neither is an unbiased news to call it so YOU are the sheep.

I agree with that, but there are politicians who are, for instance, pro 2A or anti 2A, and I think this is an appropriate place to learn things like that. I do believe we have a responsibility to society to vote, and to be an informed voter. This is a good place to learn things like that.

I have taken a fair amount of good advise from this forum and if I didn't care about this forum I wouldn't post on it.

I agree with that too. :s0155:

I was going to do something similar, Gunner.. but you did it so well there's no longer a point in my typing a somewhat similar response. Well done

If I wanted to be on a touchy feely gun forum I would go to the High Road

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads