JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I refuse to get suckered into conspiracy theories but I am a firm believer in interconnected issues usually are the answer to problems rather than one great secret organization. After reading all of the outlandish John Noveske conspiracies over his death after posting the list of school shooters/child violence on his facebook, I did however find that to be an informative viewpoint as to the source of all this violence.

It occurred to me that the very starting point to most of these shootings was back when Kip Kinkel shot his parents and into the school cafeteria in Springfield, Oregon.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However I was quite wrong, shootings like these have occurred on a regular basis for the last 100 years.

Which of course i'll never say a wikipedia source is 100 percent accurate but it gave me some deep insight to how many shootings had occurred in US history and a brief overview of the incidents. The frequency in which these shootings happened and the number of people killed has improved (you do have to chalk that up to modern advances in weapons and the evolution of bullets).

But one thing I wish the media would explore or represent in its coverage of these events is the impact of psychiatric drugs, media exploitation, violent video games, and access to unsecured firearms.

It seems to me that the rise in these school shootings is a combination of these things. Usually the parents or a family member has an unsecured firearm within the home. The child is prescribed psychiatric drugs (most likely the incorrect drug or drug that has a large number of unknown side effects) with very little oversight by the mental healthcare provider. I think healthy children can tell the difference between violent movies and violent video games and tell the difference between right and wrong. But with the incorrect drugs, I personally believe the lines of reality may start to blur and that decision making process starts to be less effective. I think of the Colorado shooter who dressed up like the Joker and rigged his apartment like some trap from the Dark Knight movie and I see that it influenced him. But I suspect he was either on some form of withdrawal from psychiatric drugs or taking too many of the wrong drugs. When you combine all of these elements, it's a recipe for these kinds of grandiose violent acts.

Not disputing what you're saying one iota, but you should also throw this into the equation; there is evil lurking out there that is perpetrated by evil people. Evil people are predators, and like most predators they stalk and attack the weak, the defensless, the young, and the unaware. What did/do the school, shopping mall, and the Colorado theater shooting scenes have in common? Being designated "gun free" zones, that's what.

Personally, I think the greater evil is elitist schmucks and "lawyers" more worried about "liability" that declare these "gun free" zones, and work towards disarming the average citizen leaving them unable to stand and defend themselves from predators.

So big pharma makes a veritable plethora of products that have known potentially lethal side effects, pass them through the FDA time and time again; they disperse research funding away from cures toward treatment, get a vast array of government subsidies, insulate themselves from all legal and financial consequences via bribes/monopolies/the crony revolving door, magically manage to hook almost fifty percent of the population on certain of their products, pull up a juicy and absurdly lucrative seat at the Obamacare table....and you seriously have the nads to come on here and dismiss conspiracy theories?

Dude. Back to the drawing board.

One thing you gotta hand to social engineers. They've done a brilliant job of rendering the word "conspiracy" as a taboo that's as good as leprosy on the tongue of those who even mention government complicitness, while sheparding the public's rote acceptance of the government's use of the word.

Don't forget the effect on people when they are told that they evolved from nothing. If we are here by random chance, how can you then tell them that they are beholden to your ideas of right and wrong? Can we expect young people to value the lives of others when they are told that they themselves are nothing but cosmic dust?

I'm not saying all conspiracy theories are without complete basis but I'm making this hypothesis to the rash of shootings based on each of the shootings in the last 20 years on the premise that the underlying factors I had mentioned were present within each of the children. And having worked in the healthcare field in the Army, I've seen the effects of psychiatric drugs on PTSD patients. Let alone the compounding effects certain SSRI's and ADD/ADHD medication have on children. The strength of the effects of these drugs can be like taking a 50 cal barrett and shooting quail at point blank range. I've seen the fallout first hand as it destroyed my close childhood friends. Yet somehow guns themselves get blamed.

For the record or the sake or discussion, I happen to agree with you entirely on the pharma point. Just giving you a hard time on the CT thing.

It's disgusting that major media and politicians refuse to bring it up.

Any decent detective would look at the presence of these drugs, see the pattern and rightly add it to the mix of motives/causes.

Don't forget the effect on people when they are told that they evolved from nothing. If we are here by random chance, how can you then tell them that they are beholden to your ideas of right and wrong? Can we expect young people to value the lives of others when they are told that they themselves are nothing but cosmic dust?

It's exactly what I belive and yet I have not killed anyone.
Try again.

Since we're tossing theories around and the conversation has yet to devolve into hysterics (not that I don't enjoy hysterics, of course I do) here's my theory: the shooters that target schools are doing so because....ready for it?....they hate schools and everything they pushed on them. Yet to see a private school attendee or home schooled kid go postal. All of them show evidence of planning--Aurora guy picked the one theater in the area banning CCW, Springfield turd ordered stuff months ahead, as with Columbine. Point being, they know what they want to achieve. They know who they want to kill and where they want to inflict the damage to achieve their sick, twisted catharsis. And, under no pressure by outside influence, they choose schools. I can't go the distance with evidence to prove they hated their schooling but seemingly it makes sense. Other times people go postal on specific people, places they worked, etc. In fact the Clackamas thing appeared somewhat random in the location selected for the enactment of the fantasy but it's kind of a rarity.

Anyway, just my amateur opinion. No I really don't want to go to the mat defending it, as either way the crazy came before the target was chosen and the crazy is the operative aspect of these things.

Since we're tossing theories around and the conversation has yet to devolve into hysterics (not that I don't enjoy hysterics, of course I do) here's my theory: the shooters that target schools are doing so because....ready for it?....they hate schools and everything they pushed on them.

That makes sense to me. Although I got out of school a jillion years ago memories of it still piss me off. Don't know why that guy back east shot up all those kids for though - I could see him shooting people in his grade due to bullying and such, but a bunch of first graders is weird.

I know Sling Blade, it's nonsensical and insane. I didn't even really want to speculate publicly because it's crazy, evil stuff either way but also because the media and officials don't exactly go out of their way to provide accurate information. And half the time they go out of their way to withhold it or slant it somehow so how can we as observers really make precise judgments?....who knows.

Finally, a thread where there is a civil and well thought out discussion of issues. Damn refreshing!

You all have some great points!

Well in that case... Shut the hell up, you club-footed water-head! Your mama dresses you funny and you got snaggle-teeth that look suspiciously just like your step-uncle's.... ahem, cough-cough.

(JUST KIDDING!)

That makes sense to me. Although I got out of school a jillion years ago memories of it still piss me off. Don't know why that guy back east shot up all those kids for though - I could see him shooting people in his grade due to bullying and such, but a bunch of first graders is weird.

+1. State run schooling is worse than useless. Somehow people are surprised by kids get pissed off when they are locked up for hours on end in a government run prison-daycare center run by apparatchiks whose sole goal is to fulfill some completely arbitrary government testing standard.

It's exactly what I belive and yet I have not killed anyone.
Try again.

Good for you. You will notice that I didn't state my point of view regarding origins of mankind.

My point is that if we teach that there is no right or wrong (moral relativism) then we shouldn't be surprised when someone decides to shoot kids. Their ideas of right and wrong are just as valid, right? I did not say this is THE reason for these shootings, just that it is a contributing factor.

I refuse to get suckered into conspiracy theories but I am a firm believer in interconnected issues usually are the answer to problems rather than one great secret organization. After reading all of the outlandish John Noveske conspiracies over his death after posting the list of school shooters/child violence on his facebook, I did however find that to be an informative viewpoint as to the source of all this violence.

It occurred to me that the very starting point to most of these shootings was back when Kip Kinkel shot his parents and into the school cafeteria in Springfield, Oregon.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However I was quite wrong, shootings like these have occurred on a regular basis for the last 100 years.

Which of course i'll never say a wikipedia source is 100 percent accurate but it gave me some deep insight to how many shootings had occurred in US history and a brief overview of the incidents. The frequency in which these shootings happened and the number of people killed has improved (you do have to chalk that up to modern advances in weapons and the evolution of bullets).

But one thing I wish the media would explore or represent in its coverage of these events is the impact of psychiatric drugs, media exploitation, violent video games, and access to unsecured firearms.

It seems to me that the rise in these school shootings is a combination of these things. Usually the parents or a family member has an unsecured firearm within the home. The child is prescribed psychiatric drugs (most likely the incorrect drug or drug that has a large number of unknown side effects) with very little oversight by the mental healthcare provider. I think healthy children can tell the difference between violent movies and violent video games and tell the difference between right and wrong. But with the incorrect drugs, I personally believe the lines of reality may start to blur and that decision making process starts to be less effective. I think of the Colorado shooter who dressed up like the Joker and rigged his apartment like some trap from the Dark Knight movie and I see that it influenced him. But I suspect he was either on some form of withdrawal from psychiatric drugs or taking too many of the wrong drugs. When you combine all of these elements, it's a recipe for these kinds of grandiose violent acts.

Please stop referring to these incidents as "shootings". They are terrorist mass killings. Not tragic incidents. Not firearm related crimes. They are the acts of madmen, fueled by violent movies, video games and t.v. shows. Most of these murderers are on psychotic drugs, fueled by psychotic episodes out of their control. To call them "shootings" only lends credibility to the lefts efforts to gun grab. Adress the root cause of the killings by calling them what they are, MASS MURDERS!!!

I'm kind of leaning the same direction. Take a kid with mental health issues, teach him how to shoot, give him immediate access to guns,put him on psychotropic drugs (which we don't fully understand short and long-term effects), let him play Call of Duty all day, then subject him to some sort of incident that throws him over the edge (mom trying to have him placed in psychiatric care). Hmmm...I wonder what he will do?

While most of your assumptions are based in some facts there is a missing component or event.
Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Going back in time there are many attacks on schools as well as mass murders way before psychotropic drugs existed.
Read about the worst attack in US history, Bath School.
If your theory has an exception, and in this case many exceptions, one must look further than drugs. When many events happened in the past and some of them rank as the worst in history, and no drugs, violent games, assault weapons, high cap mags, or any other modern technological material existed, but the mass killings were still taking place, perhaps you as well as anti gun people are looking to blame inanimate objects as opposed to humans who commit these acts. If as has been stated any investigator could piece together the use of drugs as an excuse for the killings, what is your theory pre drugs?
I find it amazing that we humans refuse to accept that all of these killings are caused by another human, that they are responsible, and there is no excuse, extenuating circumstance that explains or excuses them, they just are bad people. I don't care what motivated them, there are as many reasons for their behavior as the people who commited the acts.
Stop supporting antigun believers, cause the theory you promote attempts to lay the blame on drugs, just as the antigunners attempt to lay the blame on guns, it is no different. Place the blame where it belongs, on the person who did it. not on an inanimate object.
Your theory while interesting allows antigunners to use your logic, transpose the cause from drugs to guns, and get to the logical conclusion, if pro gunners believe that an inanimate object can cause the event than my logic must be correct to, guns cause these events, and the progunners agree with me.
There is nothing, no one, responsible for the actions of killers except........ THEMSELVES
You will never vector, study, understand, solve, chart, or discover why, what caused it, or how to prevent it. The only way to stop it, protect yourself as best you can. No one has your interest at heart as you do, no one will protect you or yours as well as you.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads