JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I grew up in Wyoming shooting firearms from the time I could hold one but never did any air rifle shooting until recently. I would read the articles here, some of which made no sense to me and I would think the author was making excuses for being a lousy shot. One article in particular really got my attention "Pick a pellet your GUN LIKES" I thought yeah, right! o_OOK...my humble apology! After buying a few air rifles and quite a few pellets...no info is more accurate than that statement. I have 2 gas spring rifles right now, both .22 cal, a Crosman Nitro Venom and a Ruger Yukon. The Crosman is by far the most accurate and will shoot dime sized groups with only 2 pellet types. The Yukon will do quarter sized groups with two different pellets. Change from these pellets and the result will make you think the scope is loose enough to fall off! (BTW I have red dots on both) I was amazed at difference a pellet makes! Anyway...thanks again for all the great posts.:)

I know, from talking to serious airgunners, that the above is true. I just have yet to take the time to sit down and do the testing myself. I've got a variety of pellets on hand, but I really should do some testing to see what works best.

I know, from talking to serious airgunners, that the above is true. I just have yet to take the time to sit down and do the testing myself. I've got a variety of pellets on hand, but I really should do some testing to see what works best.
What I do is pick a pellet and shoot a group of 3 or 4 and see how well they group. They don't have to be on target, you are only concerned with the tightness of the group. After you determine which pellet groups the tightest, sight in the rifle.

I think when the weather gets a little better, I need to take my airgun(s) out to the range, set up a target, sit down at a bench and just do some testing.

Never so true.....:eek:

Pellet test.jpg

From everything I have read, the best pellet for long range accuracy is going to be some kind of domed pellet. My guns outshoot me most of the time, but even at 10M I can see the difference between some types of pellets. For example, those Destroyers do not work for me, but they look cool, lol.

If Crosman/Benjamin domes (or hollow points, often comparable) are all you have tried, consider getting some of the more premium pellets out there. Check around (I like the Pyramyd Air Blog, they just did some ammo testing recently) and look at what you might want to try.

From everything I have read, the best pellet for long range accuracy is going to be some kind of domed pellet. My guns outshoot me most of the time, but even at 10M I can see the difference between some types of pellets. For example, those Destroyers do not work for me, but they look cool, lol.

If Crosman/Benjamin domes (or hollow points, often comparable) are all you have tried, consider getting some of the more premium pellets out there. Check around (I like the Pyramyd Air Blog, they just did some ammo testing recently) and look at what you might want to try.

I agree on the domed pellets. Makes sense if the point is not perfectly forward it will float off line. I have found that the copper coated Beeman FTS (field target special) 14.72 grain shoot faster and are the most accurate of all the 20 or so pellets I have tested. All 3 guns like these the best and the copper coating keeps the bore cleaner.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top