JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

My single stage press

• Total voters
Reactions
So what do you use on the list?
I know the list is a short one. :s0131:
And a few more

Lee Reloader Single Stage
Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic
RCBS AmmoMaster
Lyman Crusher
Lyman Crusher 2
Lee Breech Lock Hand Press
RCBS Reloader Special-5
Hornady Lock-N-Load 50 BMG
Pacific/Standard
Smart Reloader
VINTAGE
:rolleyes:

Found a Hoollywood JR. at the gun show a few months ago and it now does all my single stage work..

hlyprs.jpg
By hotwheelzzz at 2011-06-25

Lyman turret press. I bought it used over 20 years ago. I load all of my hunting rounds on it. I have a Dillon 550 that does all of my other stuff, including rifle practice loads, but the single stage press is the one I go to when I think it's important.

I use a RCBS RS2 I bought as part of a starter kit in about 1982-4 I keep the plunger lubed with Lubriplate and I keep the dust off it. I've loaded about a Zillion 30-06 rounds on it and see no reason to change.

I have been looking at the idea of adding one of the progressive presses like a RCBS 2000 to better handle large volumes of handgun ammo. But would still do all my rifle ammo on the single stage press. Since I weigh each powder charge there would be little advantage to doing rifle ammo in a progressive for me.

My RCBS press is a JR3 and was manufactured in 1977. It was a Christmas present with 308 dies that year and has met my needs to reload since. I've lubed it only twice in all these years of use. I now have at least 20 different sets of pistol and rifle dies for it. I use it at least 3 times per week. I have a rockchucker that I picked up cheap at a yard sale about 5 years ago, but it remains in the box. Sometime, I may get it clamped to my bench, but it is not needed. RCBS equipment lasts a lifetime.

I never thought that any of my equipment was really old. Then I realized that I still use my first RCBS single stage that had a "birthday" back when Nixon was still President. Bought it new and it works exactly the same to this day.

Takes me about 15 minutes to do a complete clean and lube on my Dillon XL-650. I usually do a good cleaning of the ram head when I do a caliber change. Lube gets done about once per month when I'm loading big batches. A couple of grease points and one or two places to drop a little oil. That's it. A good wipe-down when I'm finished.

I made the statement that I lubed my press twice since 1977. To the best of my memory, that is correct, and the last time was about 5 years ago. Since getting the press as a Christmas present in 1977, I've lived in WA, WI, NM, AZ, and now in Oregon. I've lived in several residences in some states, so the reloader has been unbolted from the bench, packed up, moved, unpacked, and remounted say eight or nine times. The question was asked as to how long it taked to lube the press. The answer in all truthfullness is no longer than it takes to rebolt the reloader to a sturdy bench. I'd say, no more than 5 to 10 minutes. It's a very simple task to keep things in working order. Reloading equipment is remarkable because it is so troublefree.

I use a single stage only for depriming and swaging crimped military pockets so I don't really care what they are. Mine happen to be Lee Classic Loaders.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top