Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My sweet press

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Page.k, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member

So what do you use on the list?
    I know the list is a short one. :paranoid:
    And a few more

Lee Reloader Single Stage
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic
    RCBS AmmoMaster
    Lyman Crusher
    Lyman Crusher 2
    Lee Breech Lock Hand Press
    RCBS Reloader Special-5
    Hornady Lock-N-Load 50 BMG
    Pacific/Standard
    Smart Reloader
    VINTAGE
    :rolleyes:

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Dillon.. a 550b,and a square deal b. Lee load all for shotgun.
    Lee challenger,my old 'beginners' press for short runs,etc

3. millwrt52

millwrt52 Kelso Wa Member

I use a Rock Chucker for a single stage. I also use a LnL AP for volume reloading.

4. Private R Wiggum

Private R Wiggum RCMP Barracks Member

:winner: Lee Precision Challenger Breech Lock single stage press for the win!
    it's an 'alright' press like their dies...
    takes me 2 days (with breaks of course) to batch reload 1000 rounds :fart2: LoL

5. Hotwheelz

Hotwheelz Pierce County Member

Found a Hoollywood JR. at the gun show a few months ago and it now does all my single stage work..

hlyprs.jpg
    By hotwheelzzz at 2011-06-25

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Lyman turret press. I bought it used over 20 years ago. I load all of my hunting rounds on it. I have a Dillon 550 that does all of my other stuff, including rifle practice loads, but the single stage press is the one I go to when I think it's important.

7. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I use RCBS rockchucker now (replaces a RCBS junior) for rifle and a dillon 650 for all my pistol and 223.

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use a RCBS RS2 I bought as part of a starter kit in about 1982-4 I keep the plunger lubed with Lubriplate and I keep the dust off it. I've loaded about a Zillion 30-06 rounds on it and see no reason to change.

I have been looking at the idea of adding one of the progressive presses like a RCBS 2000 to better handle large volumes of handgun ammo. But would still do all my rifle ammo on the single stage press. Since I weigh each powder charge there would be little advantage to doing rifle ammo in a progressive for me.

9. DP641

DP641 NW Washington State Member

I can't read (that the poll was multiple choice). I also use a Lee Classic Loader for depriming only. The Rockchucker was my first press for all, now only for rifle presicion loads.

10. marked trail

marked trail Portland New Member

My RCBS press is a JR3 and was manufactured in 1977. It was a Christmas present with 308 dies that year and has met my needs to reload since. I've lubed it only twice in all these years of use. I now have at least 20 different sets of pistol and rifle dies for it. I use it at least 3 times per week. I have a rockchucker that I picked up cheap at a yard sale about 5 years ago, but it remains in the box. Sometime, I may get it clamped to my bench, but it is not needed. RCBS equipment lasts a lifetime.

11. BK13

BK13 PNW Member

I have a Redding T7 that I use most often, but also have an RCBS Rockchucker and an RCBS Partner.

12. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I never thought that any of my equipment was really old. Then I realized that I still use my first RCBS single stage that had a "birthday" back when Nixon was still President. Bought it new and it works exactly the same to this day.

13. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

RCBS Rock Chucker, Lee old-timey Classic Loaders, and a Lee Hand Press. I tend towards Forster dies for rifle and Lee carbide dies for pistol.

14. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Don't forget the RCBS Big-Max

15. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member

So I was thinking about when people lube the press set-ups. And how long to a full clean and inspect of the system?

16. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Takes me about 15 minutes to do a complete clean and lube on my Dillon XL-650. I usually do a good cleaning of the ram head when I do a caliber change. Lube gets done about once per month when I'm loading big batches. A couple of grease points and one or two places to drop a little oil. That's it. A good wipe-down when I'm finished.

17. marked trail

marked trail Portland New Member

I made the statement that I lubed my press twice since 1977. To the best of my memory, that is correct, and the last time was about 5 years ago. Since getting the press as a Christmas present in 1977, I've lived in WA, WI, NM, AZ, and now in Oregon. I've lived in several residences in some states, so the reloader has been unbolted from the bench, packed up, moved, unpacked, and remounted say eight or nine times. The question was asked as to how long it taked to lube the press. The answer in all truthfullness is no longer than it takes to rebolt the reloader to a sturdy bench. I'd say, no more than 5 to 10 minutes. It's a very simple task to keep things in working order. Reloading equipment is remarkable because it is so troublefree.

18. gage62

gage62 Oregon coast New Member

Well i am stuck on lee presses. I have a load master and a pro 1000 also a single stage

19. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

.......me too.....

20. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I use a single stage only for depriming and swaging crimped military pockets so I don't really care what they are. Mine happen to be Lee Classic Loaders.