JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I broke the guide rod on my PT111 Titanium, (bought used) took it to my local gun store and for $10 they boxed it up and sent it to Taurus. In a few weeks they called that it was back fixed and no charge.
This is the second Taurus I've sent back, same service. I just don't like failures so I switched to wheel guns---.357 Magnum makes a bigger bang than 9mm!!!

Why did I click on this thread? The OP was asking for some help and this quickly turned into a "Taurus sucks" or "Taurus is the best thing since canned beer" thread. My thoughts on Taurus are well documented on this forum and others, so I see no need to get into that here. Suffice it to say most people get emotionally involved in defending their choices of firearms. Especially in defending a "lower tiered" gun.

To the OP: Why is this spring "dealer restricted"? What the hell does that mean anyway? Is our beloved Federal Government preventing it's sale? They won't even sell it to dealers? Don't they trust their dealers? I thought a dealer was an agent for whatever company s/he has a service or sales agreement with. This sends up red flags.

I know this doesn't help, but in this current phase in my life I have little patience for things that don't work. Even less with customer service like that.

Having said that I'd give Taurus one more chance to send you this 35 cent spring. Talk to a supervisor. If they still won't make it right, tell them this leaves such a bad taste in your mouth that you are going to dispose of this gun and forever tell all of your shooting buddies in as loud a voice as possible your expierence with Taurus. Point out you are active on various shooting forums. Not in a threatening manner, but in an informative manner.

Personally, the above would take more patience than I probably have. Given your recent expierence, I would have already given the gun a one way trip to Taurus, with a note telling them they think more of a spring than they do of a now former customer and now you're going to let all of your shooting buddies know all about your Taurus expierence.

Beyond the above it would be surprising that a competant gunsmith can't come up with a suitable substitute. But going that route, you may end up with more money spent than paying the $70 to send it back to Taurus.

Good luck!

helpful tip- I have used all sorts of substitute springs, something will work.

not helpful- failing to regain your trust in it's ability to stay in one piece, your taurus can have a new life as:
a pencil/pen holder(remove the cylinder and screw it to a block of wood)
a paper weight(good use for the frame after you have removed the cylinder)
a bedside lamp(pull the trigger and it lights up!)
a tack hammer
concealed bludgeoning device(after all, if it won't shoot, beat them with it!)
with a bit of work it may have a future as a "polish target pistol"
Maybe rig it with a little flag that pops out and says "bang" when the trigger is pulled(but wait, that may require functioning parts)

I have a Taurus pt138 pro .380. It's just like the pt111 but in .380 cal. I would be happy to let you use my spring in mine to mock up your own spring. I would think it would be the same spring. I would want my spring back of course. We could work out some sort of collateral in case you don't get the spring back to me then I wont be in the same boat.

This was in your house? I would search until I found the spring that launched, Use a large magnet and such. It has to be there, That would drive me crazy!! LOL.

Ya, that has got to suck. I usually lay down on the ground eye parallel to the floor and can usually spot things easier that way then looking from above.

Look at various sources of springs. Try out a few until you find one that works. I have drawers full of assorted springs from the days when we used to modify and customize our tournament paintball guns. There's nothing magical about a given spring. Get something close to the right length, diameter, and compression strength and you'll be fine.

I needed a spring for a non gun related experience and was able to buy an assortment of almost every kind of small spring imaginable from Home Depot, Found what I needed with plenty to spare. Just an Idea.

So the retaining plate came off and the FP flew out and spring is missing.Ive dont this before..I cant recall if the Taurus uses the same FP spring as USGI?

Firing pin return spring.....not the firing pin spring... I found a work around. Pistol is up and running...took it out and put 200rds down range...ZERO issues...

The fix was a spring from the plunger assembly from a Glock...:)

Adding this to my list of reasons to avoid Taurus.

Used to sell them infrequently, and while they are decent(nothing more) for someone who doesn't care to shoot much (just a night stand gun, nothing fancy), I always stressed the fact they had a lifetime warranty for a reason.

My store had a policy that we would return ship the firearm for free if it needed service, so most customers would do that to avoid the 40+$ shipping. Majority of the firearms returned? Taurus.

Glad you got the issue resolved, without being out a gun for 4 months.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top