Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My stupidity, I hate Tarus, and what can I do now...I need options...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mpperales, Jul 3, 2013.

1. mpperales

mpperales Happy Valley, Oregon Well-Known Member

1) Detail cleaning a Taurus PT111 - long story short...the firing pin return spring launched into the stratosphere...I know all about trapping parts in plastic bags...and magnetized trays....I know this. I can take this thing apart blindfolded. The spring launched because the firing pin spring and firing pin all came out at once (not normal) and I was not expecting it...

2) I call Taurus...3 separate CS reps tell me the firing pin return spring is a "customer restricted part" now in order to preserve "warranty continuity". They will not send me a $.35 cent spring. They suggest they can print me a return shipping label for $70, I ship the pistol the Florida, they repair it...meaning someone has to take 45 seconds to install a new one...and they are 2-3 months backlogged... (as a side note Sig and S&W CS is amazing and bed over backwards for people...I called Sig and simply asked for the price for a P226 guiderod...and they said they would take care of it and mailed it out. Had it in 3 days...)

3) I am looking for options....the Taurus spring is/was very small and thin. I have found a few different springs and cut to length. #1 is a from a ball point pen, #2 is from an AR detent pin, and #3 is a random pin I found in my parts box. They all fit but I wonder about functionality. I reassembled and everything "seems" to work fine...would you run with it? I am leaning towards the AR detent pin spring...

***Glad I didn't buy this Taurus and they won;t see a dime of mine to be sure. I know I lost thepart - but the unwillingness to help is mind-blowing...." Honestly - put the $.35 spring in a $.10 envelope with a $.47 stamp - I'll mail you $10!!

2. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

3. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

Wolff Trigger Springs, look them up on the net.

4. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Call a gunsmith and see if they can get the part for you. That's all I got.

5. mpperales

"did I mention is was also "dealer restricted" too....THEY will not sell this damn spring to ANYONE...

6. mpperales

Not a trigger spring.....its the trigger return spring....thanks but I already checked Wolff and they don't make one...

7. mpperales

hmmmm...maybe just order a general metric spring pack....from Wolff. Any one have a PT111 they can open and measure the inside diameter of the trigger return spring?

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Adding this to my list of reasons to avoid Taurus.

9. mpperales

And length too..please

10. rsmccsman

rsmccsman Hillsboro Go Blazers!

Just send it in to be fixed and be done with it. I know its a Pain but its the best solution.

11. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

Also maintain that warranty.

My wife has a PT111, loves it. I like it as well, but it'll never beat my Beretta M9A1.

12. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Taurus makes a few things very well:
    PT1911s
    PT92s
    And steel framed revolvers.

Most of the taurus pistols I hear about having issues are their other semi autos or the .380s.
    But then again.. Every .380 (non taurus) I've owned has had issues or had something crack or break. Perhaps its just dumb luck.

Ive seen issues with Kimbers, HKs and sigs.. So every manufacturer has put out a lemon or two, most can/will repair it.

13. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Taurus is bubblegum, always been bubblegum, will always be bubblegum. Sorry about being so ambiguous, I believe in holding back my true opinion, as not to offend anyone, who would buy bubblegum.

14. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I traded both of my Taurus pistols off after they both went back more than once at $70 a pop. I wanted to love them. One I had since 1986. I will never purchase another Taurus anything ever!. I have a pretty detailed description of the problems I encountered in response to another thread here somewhere . I have no time to look up a link to it but, I had a Taurus offered to me to shoot at a range a few weeks back by a friend of mine and passed based on the two I owned coming apart while firing. If you are near a hospital it might be one thing. If your Taurus comes apart and hurts you or someone else an hour away from help that's not good. Taurus is JUNK! (Taurus fan boys can suck it!) TAURUS IS A CHEAP EXCUSE FOR A LEGITAMATE FIREARM PERIOD! HANG IT ON THE WALL WHERE IT'S SAFE!!

15. ZA_Survivalist

And your preferred manufacturer is?
    Ive yet to get a taurus lemon. Nothing has ever failed to fire and the fit and finish is always more than acceptable.

I suppose by paying for something overpriced, it gives those folks a warm fuzzy feeling that their firearm is somehow better?

aksu747, BoonDocks36, nwo and 6 others like this.
  16. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Taurus- for those who don't care about quality. Spend the extra 10 or 20 percent and buy the gun they copied. I have always found them to be a cheap substitute for the guns they pretend to copy.

17. ZA_Survivalist

Same was said about the infamous Glock when they first hit the scene.
    Ive still yet to see a taurus fail first hand its always been a "waaaay back when" story or a "i know a guy who knew a guy way back when" story.

Taurus is like a red headed step child. Everyone loves to mock'em and knock'em around. Its like any other internet forum cliché.. Rag on them all you want.. In the classifieds a taurus will always sell before a kimber. Price is king and taurus knows it. They've built a huge consumer base because they've got affordable quality firearms. And a decent repair policy.

But again.. Ive yet to see one fail first hand.

nwo, bigdadytid, aksu747 and 3 others like this.
  18. ZA_Survivalist

Ill bet you my pt1911 and pt92 out shoot your "genuines" any day of the week. :)

bigdadytid, aksu747, nwo and 3 others like this.
  19. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

It looks like they're currently sold-out, but Numrich may have what you want (at some point)

20. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i have seen it. 2 shots and the firing pin came apart. New out of the box. Proprerly lubed before firing.