JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When Latigo was in his last year of high school, an incident took place here in Columbia Falls that bothered him. After writing this, he submitted it to the School Board and to his English teacher as an assignment in writing.
It was subsequently published in the local newspaper, The Daily Interlake. I was proud of this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zero Tolerance. More aptly titled "Zero Logic"

School teachers, school boards and school administrations take this literally. Lets put this in true perspective.

The very premise of a teacher is to educate, create in their students a thirst for knowledge and urge them to come to conclusions based on research and logic. My father has often stated that "if something doesn't sound or appear logical, it probably isn't". How is it even remotely possible that an entire profession, that being teachers, can administer blanket judgment on students who by word, action or appearance are not what their supposed teachers deem politically correct. Who has made the teaching profession judge and jury over students' unintentional violation of this imposed "political correctness"?

A case in point right here in Montana is that of a sixteen year old girl's inadvertent violation of the "zero" tolerance firearms rule". She had been hunting with her parents the day before and had forgotten her unloaded hunting rifle in the trunk of her car. After classes had begun she remembered the rifle in her trunk and went to the school's front office to tell them about it, asking that she be allowed to go home, leave the rifle there and then return to school.

The police were called and she was detained in the school office and subsequently suspended after being told she was facing expulsion. Are there words for this? Maybe idiocy, intolerance, lack of rationale, lack of reason, complete lack of judgment and fairness? The direct opposite of everything a teacher should be imparting to his or her students.

How can a student equate this to anything and everything that should govern their daily lives and interaction with their peers or strangers. If their teachers sit in pre-judgment without either hearing or understanding the facts of each individual situation how is the student then expected to apply reason and justice to their own interactions with those around them? Pure, plain and simple, its a double standard. Should students come to accept double standards as an expected part of their character? If their teachers show no logic or rationale in their reactions to what they consider an infraction, how then is the student expected to use logic and reason in solving their day to day problems and decisions?

The personal values and beliefs of teachers should have no part in the education of children. Values are taught at home, by parents, not by teachers. Beliefs, be they religious, political or lifestyle have no place in education other than those taught by the parents. The fact that there are parents who do not take it upon themselves to teach their children these values and moral character does not create a mandate for teachers to assume that role for all students.

Zero Tolerance is simply a code created to avoid dealing with each incident based on it's own merits. There is no justice or logic in zero tolerance. Its a fast track for suspension or expulsion to "teach them all a lesson" and is completely devoid of any thought process at all.

The incident here in Montana is a classic example of teachers' inability or reluctance to administer a decision based on the facts of the occurrence. This sixteen year old girl's concern for the rules of her principal caused her to think logically, go to the front office and explain her mistake. Did the principal react in the same good faith and logic shown by his student? Absolutely not. The student showed far more maturity and concern than the principal, teachers and school board put together.

Where firearms are concerned the entire school system in the United States is currently in an illogical mindset. Should there firearms on school premises? Absolutely not, but young adults are human, subject to forgetfulness and unintentional mistakes. Do teachers hold themselves to the same strict codes? No. Often when far more serious errors in judgment involve a teacher, they are prone to quickly forgive each other, even when the actions are morally wrong. All teachers? Of course not.

They judge among themselves each action or error based on the individual facts of the incident. Does their Zero Tolerance rule afford the student the same process and latitude? Absolutely not. The simple words "zero tolerance" tells us, the students what we can expect of those who are supposed to teach us fair play, tolerance and reason. The understanding and reasoning we can expect from our teachers is in fact, zero.

When I have children I intend to teach them the core values that my wife and I would have. Whether or not they coincided with those of the teaching establishment would mean nothing to me whatsoever. Knowing what I now know about school administrations I would hope that they would learn to approach life and their dealings with others in far different ways than those shown by our current type of teacher. Zero Tolerance is an extremely disappointing fact of school administration and it is alarming to see it practiced in full force by those entrusted with our children. I'm ashamed that this even exists in a free country that is grounded in the Constitution and justice.

Latigo L. St. Marie

What a student takes away from such an incident is that humans are not rational logical thinking creatures. It took me decades to learn this fact. Because I tried to think and act rationally, I assumed others would too. I was wrong.

It is better that a person comes to this conclusion early in their life - then they will cope with other humans better when they realize this.

My general rule is to assume that any person will the opposite of what is logical and rational. In general the more controversial, the more emotional laden the issue is, the more likely a person is to react emotionally and not logically. If I am wrong, then I am pleasantly surprised, if I am right then I am prepared.

It makes no difference that it is an institution or rule or law - these are all the result of human decisions and therefore are all prone to the same tendency.

Act accordingly.

Good read.

The problem with the female student, as I see it, is she has apparently been indoctrinated to the point where she felt an obligation to tell some nutbundle about her situation in the first place. She should have kept her mouth shut and finished out the school day and let the leftist freaks in the front office continue along their delusional path unmollested.

Good read.

The problem with the female student, as I see it, is she has apparently been indoctrinated to the point where she felt an obligation to tell some nutbundle about her situation in the first place. She should have kept her mouth shut and finished out the school day and let the leftist freaks in the front office continue along their delusional path unmollested.
Your possibly right.
I think there's also people with absolute honesty where if they leave details out of a story or situation they feel dishonest.

That student is a born and raised Montanan with straight up parents.
I would hope my own children would be no different should the situation arise. Family values drive these decisions.

Well done!
My take away of this, the Girl in question was raised by good people who instilled in her a life time of honesty, sincerity, and honor! She was likely taught that the truth is always the best way, and that to be honest and respectful at all times! I'm also willing to bet she is a very innocent young lady, and she likely reacted in the best way she knew how! Sadly, she has now learned thay the world is cruel and unjust, and that she must learn to protect her self, because life isn't fair, and stupid people are every where!
Your boy did a great job, congrats!

i graduated in 2005. wasnt uncommon for me to have my 22 in my pick up on school property. never said anything to anyone. never had a problem.

Very insightful and thought provoking essay by Latigo, I hope he received a high mark.
it gives me hope for America when I see that there are children and young adults that are raised by good parents and are not fooled by the indoctrination process.

i graduated in 2005. wasnt uncommon for me to have my 22 in my pick up on school property. never said anything to anyone. never had a problem.

Back in the early 70s I would sometimes have a shotgun or a .22 behind the seat of my pickup so we could go shooting after school.

When I went to college (Lane Comm.) during the fall semester, I would have a .30-30 in my pickup (behind the seat) so I could go deer hunting behind the college (there was a nice woods there with deer back then).

13938621_1771723009709075_4361569728659427347_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top