My sons rifle!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Reno911, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Im only 3-4 years early, but I had sold a bunch of stuff and wanted to secure this now.

I’ve looked at a lot of single shot trainers with kid sized stocks. Only after purchasing a savage in 17hmr did I discover their rascal line. It’s a bit easier to load and you can not accidentally discharge it from miscocking anything.

Of coarse with a pending silencer, I wanted his to be threaded too.

I would have liked to get the regular model and the iron peep sights, but I’d prefer him being able to use the can when the time comes. Besides, I had an extra red dot lying around and I found Stormwerks made a mount.

I’m stupid excited to take him shooting in times to come. I still remember the day my dad took me and my older brother.

I’m really enjoying being a dad and this little gun will remind me every time I see it if the future enjoyment I’ll get to share with him!

Just had to share!

32739399-A9A5-4CE8-AEAE-55B2E90C66A9.jpeg 7AB20F66-CC4F-49A6-9A8B-21BDBD99DD11.jpeg

tac, Dyjital, bbbass and 13 others like this.
  2. Lazyfaire

Lazyfaire
    Tigard
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

How old is he?

Howard1955 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Sniper Bird! (What Retch Sweeney would say) Bronze Supporter

Nice. Is a proper cheek weld going to be possible with that setup?

Howard1955 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My now three year old got his first rifle before he was born and just got his third given to him the other day.
    I feel your excitement of taking my kids shooting. Plus I get to play with their guns until they are old enough to take them away!

5. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA
    Welcome to the snipe hunt Gold Supporter

Negitive. It’s even worse on the FVSR(my sons first rifle) Savage must assume your gunna upgrade to a Boyd or whatever...
    Here’s my solution...
    027FD536-C0EB-443B-9C4B-1CE903C7FD06.jpeg
    I found this cheek riser at a gun show for $10, and used a self tapper to screw it down. Works great.

6. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Almost 10 months.

Probably not. I could figure out something in the time I have between now and his first shots.

7. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA
    Welcome to the snipe hunt Gold Supporter

This is another argument for the safe hearing act...
    A dad shouldn’t have to spend $600 for something to protect his child’s hearing, and make the father son bonding more enjoyable.

A couple days ago, I was sitting on the living room couch with my son and the FVSR loaded with CCI standard velocity...shooting through the window at some pop cans in the yard, and my wife couldn’t even hear it from the next room. She got mad about the brass all up in the cushions though:D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

We got a Chipmunk for my boys to learn on their first year, and then the next year, I got them matching Savage MK-IIs with irons! It was a lot of fun teaching them and watching them get good at it! I still have that little Chipmunk to pass to my brother so he can use it to teach his little ones in a year or so! Cant wait to see them learn, another Generation of responsible 'Murican shooters!:)

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

For a good cheek piece, you can always fold a piece of Kydex and screw it to the stock, that way you can adjust it to any height you need, and it's super cheap!

Certaindeaf, Howard1955 and Reno911 like this.
  10. WrenchNguns

WrenchNguns
    Clark County, Wa
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

I bought a Rascal for my two younger boys. Your not missing anything by not having the peep sights. They are not very good. They are a pain to adjust. Keep thinking about adding a red dot to it. How much was the mount and how was the install?

Howard1955 and Reno911 like this.
  11. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

It was 30 from Stormwerks.com. Easy two screw install.

Howard1955 and WrenchNguns like this.
  12. MrElectric03

MrElectric03
    Coeur d'alene ID

I actually bought that model for my son because of the peep sights. They were a lot better to me than the sights on the other youth starter rifles. Now he has outgrown it and mostly shoots my 10/22 or ARs. Now it's time to look for a pink one for my oldest daughter. I'm hoping if I keep these they will teach their kids to shoot with them someday.

Ura-Ki and WrenchNguns like this.
  13. edzz

edzz
    CDA, ID

Ron at River City Pawn, in Post Falls fas a nice pink youth .22 on the rack, at least he did yesterday.:) Good guy to deal with. If you've never been in his shop you really should check it out. Tell him Ed from south of the river sent you.

14. MrElectric03

MrElectric03
    Coeur d'alene ID

Is that the little white building right next to hwy 90 on the north Side? Haven't stopped there yet but need to sometime.

15. edzz

edzz
    CDA, ID

Yes
    505 E 6th Ave, Post Falls, ID.

16. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Got mine from @LuckySG he has them all on his site I believe. Even this model the FVSR in pink.

LuckySG and Ura-Ki like this.