JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im only 3-4 years early, but I had sold a bunch of stuff and wanted to secure this now.

I've looked at a lot of single shot trainers with kid sized stocks. Only after purchasing a savage in 17hmr did I discover their rascal line. It's a bit easier to load and you can not accidentally discharge it from miscocking anything.

Of coarse with a pending silencer, I wanted his to be threaded too.

I would have liked to get the regular model and the iron peep sights, but I'd prefer him being able to use the can when the time comes. Besides, I had an extra red dot lying around and I found Stormwerks made a mount.

I'm stupid excited to take him shooting in times to come. I still remember the day my dad took me and my older brother.

I'm really enjoying being a dad and this little gun will remind me every time I see it if the future enjoyment I'll get to share with him!

Just had to share!

32739399-A9A5-4CE8-AEAE-55B2E90C66A9.jpeg 7AB20F66-CC4F-49A6-9A8B-21BDBD99DD11.jpeg

Im only 3-4 years early, but I had sold a bunch of stuff and wanted to secure this now.

I've looked at a lot of single shot trainers with kid sized stocks. Only after purchasing a savage in 17hmr did I discover their rascal line. It's a bit easier to load and you can not accidentally discharge it from miscocking anything.

I would have liked to get the regular model and the iron peep sights, but I'd prefer him being able to use the can when the time comes. Besides, I had an extra red dot lying around and I found Stormwerks made a mount.

I'm stupid excited to take him shooting in times to come. I still remember the day my dad took me and my older brother.

I'm really enjoying being a dad and this little gun will remind me every time I see it if the future enjoyment I'll get to share with him!

Just had to share!

View attachment 507895 View attachment 507896
How old is he?

My now three year old got his first rifle before he was born and just got his third given to him the other day.
I feel your excitement of taking my kids shooting. Plus I get to play with their guns until they are old enough to take them away!

Nice. Is a proper cheek weld going to be possible with that setup?
Negitive. It's even worse on the FVSR(my sons first rifle) Savage must assume your gunna upgrade to a Boyd or whatever...
Here's my solution...
027FD536-C0EB-443B-9C4B-1CE903C7FD06.jpeg
I found this cheek riser at a gun show for $10, and used a self tapper to screw it down. Works great.

This is another argument for the safe hearing act...
A dad shouldn't have to spend $600 for something to protect his child's hearing, and make the father son bonding more enjoyable.

A couple days ago, I was sitting on the living room couch with my son and the FVSR loaded with CCI standard velocity...shooting through the window at some pop cans in the yard, and my wife couldn't even hear it from the next room. She got mad about the brass all up in the cushions though:D

Last Edited:
We got a Chipmunk for my boys to learn on their first year, and then the next year, I got them matching Savage MK-IIs with irons! It was a lot of fun teaching them and watching them get good at it! I still have that little Chipmunk to pass to my brother so he can use it to teach his little ones in a year or so! Cant wait to see them learn, another Generation of responsible 'Murican shooters!:)

Just had to share!

View attachment 507895 View attachment 507896
I bought a Rascal for my two younger boys. Your not missing anything by not having the peep sights. They are not very good. They are a pain to adjust. Keep thinking about adding a red dot to it. How much was the mount and how was the install?

I bought a Rascal for my two younger boys. Your not missing anything by not having the peep sights. They are not very good. They are a pain to adjust. Keep thinking about adding a red dot to it. How much was the mount and how was the install?
It was 30 from Stormwerks.com. Easy two screw install.

I actually bought that model for my son because of the peep sights. They were a lot better to me than the sights on the other youth starter rifles. Now he has outgrown it and mostly shoots my 10/22 or ARs. Now it's time to look for a pink one for my oldest daughter. I'm hoping if I keep these they will teach their kids to shoot with them someday.

Now it's time to look for a pink one for my oldest daughter. I'm hoping if I keep these they will teach their kids to shoot with them someday.

Ron at River City Pawn, in Post Falls fas a nice pink youth .22 on the rack, at least he did yesterday.:) Good guy to deal with. If you've never been in his shop you really should check it out. Tell him Ed from south of the river sent you.

Ron at River City Pawn, in Post Falls fas a nice pink youth .22 on the rack, at least he did yesterday.:) Good guy to deal with. If you've never been in his shop you really should check it out. Tell him Ed from south of the river sent you.

Is that the little white building right next to hwy 90 on the north Side? Haven't stopped there yet but need to sometime.

Thread resurrection. It's been a minute!

Changed it for him as he is now finally ready. We have been working together on safety procedures mostly and he is taking it well. I need to buy some snap caps for him to practice loading and unloading.

Yes the scope is ridiculous. It's all I have on hand right now and it will likely be replaced with something more size appropriate.

I think it still needs a cheek riser so I'll be looking to get one shortly from Matthew's Machining.

Hoping he takes to it well and I get a shooting buddy out of it.

B4B699D3-EBC2-43DF-A956-BF4AA25FA624.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ok the scope had to go. Kudos to Matthews Fabrication for trying to match the color On the cheek riser.

801D41BE-E48A-4AC1-9BB2-D870C77A9D37.jpeg

I have bought guns from river city pawn, good guy

I bought one of the Savage Rascals (wood stock version) for my grandson about four years ago. I started him out on my 1936 vintage Remington Mod. 341, the butt of the stock rode well over his shoulder, that wasn't a good learning experience. So the Rascal was a good fit, you might say. Now these few years later, the Rascal is scarred and skinned up, shows the signs of much love.

In the meantime, he has mastered the Smith & Wesson Model 10, the Glock 19 and the AR. I prefer the A1 stock my my AR's but I appreciate the adjustable nature of the telescoping stock for shooters with shorter arms. So I took the A1 stock off one of my AR's and stuck a telescoping version on it for him. He still likes to plink around with the Rascal, though, one at a time. A little box of .22 ammo can last a kid a long time.

I have a youth stock set for an NEF single shot shotgun, I may put that on a .410 that I'm assembling.

We still review the NRA firearms safe handling procedures whenever he's around guns. When we handle them, right away, the first thing he does in check the action to make sure it's clear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top