JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I gave my son an AR for his 18th Birthday. He acted excited, and was gracious about it, but I found out through the grapevine that he really likes Old School ARs, and not so much the Tacticool rifle I gave him. So I gave him a stack of AR and other gun mags to pick out exactly what his ultimate AR would be... and this is what he came up with...
E930C6C0-0FFE-4850-B886-6947BE0DFA16.jpeg
It's a cross between a MK18, XM177, And an M4... Pistol. Kinda?

A2 upper 11.5 barrel with a Knights RAS and foregrip, teardrop forward assist... Straight milspec everything else... he picked an A1 grip, strap swivel and all, and since we can't use the CAR Butt stock until we get a SBR stamp, he decided on a Shockwave brace.
We got the upper done, but It's hard to get a HS senior to commit to an afternoon to finish the lower.. which I expect him to build himself.
Kids got pretty good taste I think.

I gave my son an AR for his 18th Birthday. He acted excited, and was gracious about it, but I found out through the grapevine that he really likes Old School ARs, and not so much the Tacticool rifle I gave him. So I gave him a stack of AR and other gun mags to pick out exactly what his ultimate AR would be... and this is what he came up with...
View attachment 443820

A2 upper 11.5 barrel with a Knights RAS and foregrip, teardrop forward assist... Straight milspec everything else... he picked an A1 grip, strap swivel and all, and since we can't use the CAR Butt stock until we get a SBR stamp, he decided on a Shockwave brace.
We got the upper done, but It's hard to get a HS senior to commit to an afternoon to finish the lower.. which I expect him to build himself.

HELL YEAH!! :s0151::s0069:

Here's the very first 80% that I carved out... it's my primary HD "pistol".
272DBA34-F52A-4828-B1D0-A86D7BA2F65A.jpeg

BTW, that VFG is a NO-GO on a "pistol".... make it disappear until you get a SBR stamp! :eek:

View attachment 443828

BTW, that VFG is a NO-GO on a "pistol".... make it disappear until you get a SBR stamp! :eek:
Or make it above 26" OAL... I like LAW sidefolders plus Vltor A5 buffer systems for that. :D

My 10.3 is about 19.5" OAL upper only, but my MD's a little longer, call that 11.5 about 20.5 to 21... add a half-inch of buffer tower, just needs five-and-a-half of buffer tube and it's home free as "Other Title 1 Firearm".
OOPS, math check!

VFG may make it not CPL-eligible, but...

Last Edited:

View attachment 443828

Very cool... Twins! Almost...

KAK shockwave tube + 11.5" barrel puts me just over 26"... I might have an ASR flash hider pin and welded just in case, but I'm pretty sure I'm OK.
An A5 buffer system may be in the cards too. We'll see how it goes.

Comparison: this is 30" from MD to rear of brace (excluding rear mag), and on an inch less barrel.
20171213_235432-jpg.jpg

The A5 tube adds 3/4", the LAW folder another 1.3, and the SBM4 brace a little more, maybe another 1/2 to 3/4". So call an 11.5" "standard" AR around 27-1/2"... IOW, "Other Firearm".

-1.3=28.7 (folder)
-0.75=26.95 (tube)
-0.75=26.2 (brace)
+1.2"=27.4 (longer barrel

Last Edited:
08A6E2A1-4180-492D-AA97-6267434CD71D.jpeg
It's close... but we're OK... I'll pin and weld the ASR flash hider jic though.
Part of the reason for going with 11.5" barrel over something shorter.
More velocity, and better for the supressor factored in too.

I also went with more back-end because I like things balanced a little more rearward--that brace is on there as a weight and a mag carrier rather than any actual "cheek/forearm-weld". Just me, though, YMMV. :) (Mine is also never going to carry a can... blast-shield only.)

UGH, CAR stocks... stuff of nightmares to track down for milspec tubes. Even the ones Brownells is using are a mil/commercial bastard... (If and when Project C8(GF) goes forward, I'm gonna need to find one myself.)

View attachment 443835
It's close... but we're OK... I'll pin and weld the ASR flash hider jic though.
Part of the reason for going with 11.5" barrel over something shorter.
More velocity, and better for the supressor factored in too.

11.5" is (was) the minimum for MILSPEC CAR-15's because (in general) the dwell-time past the carbine length gas-port is (was) the most reliable for cycling the bolt.

LOL, I just carved out another one this afternoon and took less than an hour, (starting cold) and half distracted training one of my buddies to be able to do his own... gotta love those 5D jigs! :s0155:

5D jig is the shizznit!!

11.5" is (was) the minimum for MILSPEC CAR-15's because (in general) the dwell-time past the carbine length gas-port is (was) the most reliable for cycling the bolt.
Dwell time-Schmell time... reliability is for loosers... give me a dissapator... or better yet... 5C5DEB96-33A8-4FD6-BFAC-BDBF87A8B72D.jpeg

View attachment 443820

If only more parents would do this with their kids the world would be a great place.

Awesome BD present!!! Good on ya.

My son was in the CG at 17 so had to wait. He now builds his own (with my prompting)
and have him newly into reloading!!!
We are passing the torches to our kids to lead the way for the next 50 years.:cool:

He's gunna have to reload... 18 years old, and his ID is good enough for tobacco, dirty movies, and dying for his country... but he's SOL if he wants to go to Walmart and buy a box of bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top