JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been "restoring" this old but gold Craftsman drill press that I've had sitting for over 10 years and never used. I am hoping to machine some lowers with it (it's a collared chuck style, don't worry). I finally got to the point where I could measure run out, and the original made in USA Jacobs 633c chuck had a ton of wobble... so much so that it was easily visible. This ol' chuck has seen some abuse. Being stubborn, I tried to drill with it anyway to see what it'd do... and it's no good for "precision" work.

After a lot of back and forth thinking about how to fix my wobbly shaft problem, without bending over and taking a loss on the whole drill press itself... I discovered that the local Grainger had a Jacobs replacement in stock. What a time to be alive. Unfortunately, it's made in China... but, for the price and to bring this drill press back to it's former glory, I will succumb to the will of the global economy.

Got it home and installed fairly quickly. I was skeptical because of all horror stories I read on the 'net about poorly manufactured chucks, but pleasantly surprised by how well it measured out. Less than 0.006" TIR... if I did the conversion right, my gauge is metric, reads 0.15mm.
20210312_191408.jpg

As a bonus, it also came with a nicely fitting chuck key... made in China as well. Matches my metric indicator.

(BTW, I ended up with two of these nice Noga stands/metric indicators... expect to see a FS post soon to fund this latest purchase lol)

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads