JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was able to bring my 45 home yesterday. The first thing I noticed is the slide to frame fit. There is no noticeable clearance between the slide and frame, horizontal or vertical.
Slide works silky smooth, pretty impressed with a 389.00 pistol.hell my brand new kimber custom 2 has more slop! Anyway cannot wait to shoot it.

20200910_164917.jpg 20200910_164845.jpg

Yea, my newest Rock double stack is that tight and smooth! Its also full combat spec. and yet doesn't jamb up, fart, hickup, or choke, and feeds everything equally well! In fact, the first 1000 rounds through it were flawless! I don't feed it with practice stuff ether, full spec 10 mm auto near the high end of the range! :s0155:

Glad it finally made it home and you are happy with it so far! Like I stated before, RIA has come a long way in the 1911 game for their price point.:s0155: Look forward to the shooting report.:D

ME....I'd change the grips. Never took much of a liking to smooth wooden grips. Especially since we are talking .45 ACP.

Personally.....I like Pachmayr Signature grips or Houge OverMoulded grips. Rubber......Yeah!. Of course if you like wood.....yup, plenty of choices there too. And now a days.....G10 seems to be popular. Then.....I always liked checkering and I'm not really into finger grooves (for me anyways).

Aloha, Mark

I've got one of their 1911-A1 compact models. It was the first Rock I bought and got it just because I was curious. Was impressed enough to put it into service as my truck gun and have purchased several other models since. Not disappointed in any of them. 20200910_204555.jpg

I have the GI Officer's Model in 45 and love it I had put some Ivory grips on and they were beautiful but I shot it and that broke the left panel, Oops. I went to Hogue's clearance site and bought some G-10's for half price, had to sand them down a little as they were aggressive with my hand. I have carried this gun and would again if I favored 45. I think I would have liked the 'Rock' series better for the sights. Speaking of series this is a '70' series in case someone was wondering.
I own a great Ruger 1911 too, but RIA is just a super value.

Congratulations on your new 45. I've put thousands through my $350 Rock Island, just really enjoy shooting that old pistol. My favorite at the range every time and in my nightstand every evening. Got lots of other pistols and several "better" 1911's that are clean and ready, but that's the one I actually shoot regularly.
As an addition, I would highly recommend the Wilson Combat 10 round magazines. They bring the 1911 into more modern capacity territory. I personally feel pretty comfortable checking on bumps in the night with a single 10 round mag, where as in the past I would be grabbing a second 7 or 8 rounder.
Cheers.

Congrads! They do appear to put out a good pistol. I've like ours acquired back in 2007:

rocky-jpg.689536

I changed the grips and put larger sights on said, but otherwise pretty much stock. :)

Another good addition I think is aggressive Talon grip tape
(looks like sandpaper) on the front strap. Super helpful in my opinion. I also put it on the front of the trigger guard, but to each their own.
Good shooting.

I'm hopefully picking up a RIA 10mm double stack next week. Good to hear so many good reports on their offerings. :)

Sure seems like these are a lot of gun for the money :s0155:

For the money they are hard to beat. Some don't have the best finish but that's an easy fix with cerakote. The one I'm looking to get has a really decent finish so I'm gonna run it as-is! :)

Mine is the standard parked finish, not bad, a few handling oppsies before I got it, but it's not a biggy! I changed the fiber optic sights out for Trit night sights, and it's now part of my carry rotation! :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top