JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, RIA makes some very serviceable 1911's, in this case a Citadel Compact.
979775B6-CA81-4DAA-B13C-0399A11590D5.jpeg

I was searching this forum for RIA 1911's because even though I'm a lifelong gun owner I've never owned a 1911. I always said I'd get an original M1911 when I had the $$$ but I realize I might be happy getting a semi-clone like the Rock Island so I can have some fun shooting it and let my friends and family shoot it without worrying about it being an antique.

From my research, it looks to me like most folks like their RI 1911's. And the price is right.

I was able to bring my 45 home yesterday. The first thing I noticed is the slide to frame fit. There is no noticeable clearance between the slide and frame, horizontal or vertical.
Slide works silky smooth, pretty impressed with a 389.00 pistol.hell my brand new kimber custom 2 has more slop! Anyway cannot wait to shoot it.

View attachment 747944 View attachment 747945
Did you get yours from bi-mart? I have a GI type 1911 already or I would have jumped on the one I saw for that same price.

On the way back from the cleanup in Welches, I stopped in every bimart from there to Beaverton. I remember seeing a RIA GI 1911A1 on the shelf in one of them. It's always interesting to see what's there. I have seen a Ruger 5.7, but I'm not in the market for another caliber just yet. Maybe if I had a PS90 then I would be.

The nice thing (imho) is the current ones at BiMart for the low, low price do not have the billboard engravings on the slide.

I find them tastefully done but agree the sights could be better.
Grips vary from meh to decent.

The nice thing (imho) is the current ones at BiMart for the low, low price do not have the billboard engravings on the slide.

I find them tastefully done but agree the sights could be better.
Grips vary from meh to decent.

Thing is, the sites are true to the original that we had back in the 80s when I was in the Navy.

True that. You just have to pick your poisons.
Sights true to originals, but slide markings take authenticity off the table. I got one and upgraded grips and soon sights.

A nitron finish would totally make it wow.
But I'm on board with RIA.

20201020_214343.jpg

Cabela's in Tualatin had a new RI GI 45acp in the display case for $450 this morning. Raise discount gift cards might get that price down to around $390. If they still have one available on Black Friday there may be additional discounts on firearms (hopefully).

Cabela's in Tualatin had a new RI GI 45acp in the display case for $450 this morning. Raise discount gift cards might get that price down to around $390. If they still have one available on Black Friday there may be additional discounts on firearms (hopefully).
Cabela's Black Friday Ad can be found here:

That's one gun I want to buy is standard 1911A1 that I want. Rock Island an affordable price. What about a Springfield 1911A1? It costs a bit more. I only have XD40SC from Springfield which shoots quite well for a 3" barrel.

Defend Your Legacy Series 1911 Mil-Spec .45 ACP Handgun - Springfield Armory

I don't have any 45 ACP rounds either.

Unfortunately SA stopped making their GI 1911A1 shortly after I bought mine in 2008. $460 back then, Brazil Embel.
Still not a true copy with the "US" grips, and the roll marks also not a true copy. Mine's a bit rattlely, which is the way my dad liked 'em.

Brought home a RIA 1911 GI from Bimart in Tigard today $399 out the door. I was chatting with the workers there and they told me they usually get one of the RI pistols at a time and never know when new ones will come, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

It was way on the bottom shelf in the back, seemed forgotten amongst the wranglers up top.:D

Anyway, if a fella wanted one and called around to a few Bimarts they could probably find one.
I'll worry about ammo later, happy to disassemble and assemble and look for a few magazines.

Being new to the caliber and platform, can anyone recommend a flush fit mag that works well in these?

Being new to the caliber and platform, can anyone recommend a flush fit mag that works well in these?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers flush fit mags in a 1911. The 8rnd ones with the bumper are great range mags, I'm sure, but they just don't seem right on a GI-style 1911. I have a pile of old 1911 magazines and most of them seem to work fine, but if I was buying new ones I think I'd buy either Mec-Gar or Check-Mate. I did pick up a couple GI contract mags at a gun show a few years ago, new in the paper wrapper. They work fine too.

Brought home a RIA 1911 GI from Bimart in Tigard today $399 out the door. I was chatting with the workers there and they told me they usually get one of the RI pistols at a time and never know when new ones will come, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

It was way on the bottom shelf in the back, seemed forgotten amongst the wranglers up top.:D

Anyway, if a fella wanted one and called around to a few Bimarts they could probably find one.
I'll worry about ammo later, happy to disassemble and assemble and look for a few magazines.

Congrats! I've found Kimber mags work pretty well and can usually be found at reasonable prices. They're flush fit but can have bumper pads added if desired.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top