JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wrote this on amazon, but I felt compelled to share here too. This forum has given me much and if I can save a few of you from wasting money I have to try.

I must start by saying I love the societal collapse genre and I had high hopes for this series.

The most frustrating part that makes me give this whole series 1-star is that we are being sold one book in 10 separate segments labelled as individual books. Most at $9.99 each!!! The author doesn't even hide this fact as each "book" starts with the chapter number following the chapter number that ended in the previous "book". I feel cheated / ripped-off. As a comparison I must use Lights Out by David Crawford as it was a tremendously written book, is currently available for $7.99 and it is the complete story! I would be totally okay with this method if we were paying $1 to $2 a segment like the Wool series by Hugh Howey(also very well written).

Warning: Spoilers ahead

Okay, aside from the deceptive attempt to sell one book for close to $100 I initially liked the story line. More precisely I appreciated the path of governmental collapse via poor fiscal policies brought on by pandering to a majority of entitlement driven people. I see this as a very close to true to life possibility and I liked the path the books were going. Right now I am basically 50% through the third book and I couldn't take the sophomoric writing and mediocre character development (especially for the price) any more without sharing my concerns with other readers possibly spending their money on this rough draft.

The main character has little to no depth. The thought processes he shares that guide him paint him as a reactionary simpleton that magically turns into an effective and accomplished attorney. These concepts don't mix well. Simple minded people do not make believable successful attorneys. i just cant swallow this concept and it detracts from the whole story. The worst part is some disembodied voice randomly tells him what to do and he blissfully follows the directions received instead of checking himself into a facility to help him with the apparent schizophrenic break (like an intelligent attorney would do in said situation).

The proverbial last straw that has me writing this review is the sheer volume of the words 'tactical' and 'skills' crammed into the second and third books. The main character stumbles into a group of civilians that for no apparent reasons train like SWAT team members. Again, totally unbelievable. That aside, he talks/thinks about all of their 'tactical' gear and their 'tactical' 'skills' to the point of ad nauseum. It is as if the writer thinks that if he uses the words enough he will bludgeon you into submission to accept that this team has awesome 'tactical' 'skills'.

With this progress and current direction it feels like the story is degenerating into every firearm and 'tactical' gear owning mall-cop's wet dream.

To finish I would really appreciate it if the writer took this opportunity to reprise these segments of a book appropriately and give the main character a bit more gumption.

I read the first 3, then got into "holding their own" series by Joe Nobody and got hooked.
Try the prepper press online. Free shipping and great prices.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top