JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well it seems early retirement is being forced on me due to the Flu Manchu Plandemic.

All my design clients have cut back or gone out of business. The Missus has taken a work-from-home job doing phone support for a pharmaceutical company (getting older, we wanted a decent insurance plan).

The only thing I have is my pet portrait side business. I wasn't quite ready to go all in on it, I expected the design biz to last a couple more years, but circumstances have changed. So here I am, flogging pet portraits on my blog, trying to get Google to notice me (SEO is a cruel, uncaring mistress). Everyone says I should go hard on social media, but, frankly, I hate everything about social media and even if it worked for me (which it hasn't so far) I hate every minute I spend on it (except for Gab, which I actually kind of enjoy – all the crazies are there which makes it interesting).

So I'm focusing on my web site, trying to build an audience that way. It's a hard slog.

Since I paint digitally, I've occasionally created screen-captured videos and compressed them down to a reasonable length. These show my process of painting the portrait, and people kind of like seeing the artwork take shape.

Here's one I did for a Spokane Pet Expo giveaway:

Shameless plug: If you're looking for something along these lines, or know someone who is, the site is here. I also have gift certificates available if you don't have access to photos yourself.

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about your business issues and early retirement due to the forced shutdowns.

That has happened all over and ANOTHER long term business is shutting down here in this college town.

These unconstitutional shutdowns have hit so MANY small and middle sized businesses. Family owned ones and other ones. I would say more but I have a feeling that you may already KNOW (LOL) how I feel about those issues and WHO was/is deemed 'essential' and TONS MORE! GGggrrrrr.

I wish you well in your new venture and I believe that YOU will do well since you are such a talented man. I am not just 'saying that' and I really do believe that you do have special talents! Drawing, computer work and writing. You and your wife had a good company and you CAN do it with her backing you up.

Besides - DOGS and other animals/pets will be the THING that draws in people to YOU and your drawing. Like a magnet!

I wish your wife well with her job too! Good on your health insurance too.

My husband and I just watched your video and both of us were very impressed.

Beautiful work. You should advertise even though you don't like 'social media' or most of it. I agree with you when it comes to most social media too!

Take care. Prayers sent your way.

Sincerely,

Cate
PS: Let me know what you find on GAB and where do you usually read or listen to there via a PM if you can. I do not know if you would be allowed to post it on the MAIN forum here.

I have not joined GAB yet but the uncensored speech when it comes to all rights, the Constitution, liberty, gun issues, etc. does interest me. I am so SICK and TIRED of one side being WOKE (LOL) while they claim to be for freedom while shutting up the OTHER SIDE! Gag!

PS:

Do you live in Spokane? I wanted to tell you that one of my friends here (ON this forum.) who is a MT FFL man and a close friend goes to ID a lot for gun shows. He goes to MT shows too.

Anyway, he goes to many shows in ID and some close to the WA state border. They get a lot of people at those shows and that may be ANOTHER PLACE where you might do well even if you only have ONE TABLE AT A SHOW.

GUNS, DOGS and FREEDOM LOVING PEOPLE seeing YOUR TALENT all under the same roof! What's not to love?! LOL

IF you need my help in contacting him, I will be glad to help you. I am sure that he could give you LOTS of information with shows and so forth.

God bless you and yours.

Cate

Last Edited:
One other thing, I know that the religious holidays just ended but many HS and college graduations, Mother's Day and Father's Day are coming up.

That is a good time to sell something dog or pet/human related for a gift.

Have you contacted some places like Bass Pro, etc. and asked them if you could have a SPOT in their store close to you or not?

It would be GREAT publicity for you, many sales hopefully AND it would BRING IN CUSTOMERS to their stores.

NOT only Bass Pro but ANY STORE which would be CLOSE enough to be in a FREE state (Or not.) AND you would be able to DRIVE HOME to sleep/shower without spending a lot of money (Tax deductible or not!) for a hotel.

FAIRS, boat, rv and other shows are coming up too.

Cate

Last Edited:
Don't limit yourself to only doing pet portraits.
Until a little over 2 years ago I produced/sold custom Car, Boat portraits as well as Xmas cards. I also did some portraits of his customers old homes for a local Realtor to frame and give them when they moved into their new place. It got to the point where I could no longer spend the hours staring at a monitor because it was starting to affect my eyesight.... and I didn't want to keep doing it 'till I needed glasses (sounds like old punchline).

sample car portraits
1618118973218.png
1618120941330.png
sample "good-bye old house" portrait (for Re-Max)
1618118749335.png
sample boat Xmas card (for Ranger Tug, Factory - Kent WA)
1618119369115.png

Don't limit yourself to only doing pet portraits.
Until a little over 2 years ago I produced/sold custom Car, Boat portraits as well as Xmas cards. I also did some portraits of his customers old homes for a local Realtor to frame and give them when they moved into their new place. It got to the point where I could no longer spend the hours staring at a monitor because it was starting to affect my eyesight.... and I didn't want to keep doing it 'till I needed glasses (sounds like old punchline).

sample car portraits
View attachment 859335
View attachment 859342
sample "good-bye old house" portrait (for Re-Max)
View attachment 859334
sample boat Xmas card (for Ranger Tug, Factory - Kent WA)
View attachment 859338

Nice work!

Cate

Our dog Luna is a complete a-hole. barks, bites (in fun..), runs off, has to go out on a leash, the works. And my gal is completely infatuated with it- pictures, mugs, t shirts, all of it, but no painting....yet. I think I'll be contacting you soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top