JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off I am unsure if this is the right place for the thread. Maybe the Mods can help out.

So, a little background. I took my CHP class well over a year ago, received my permit in the mail three or four months later(I was slow on turning my app in.). Currently and at the time the smallest pistol I had in my inventory was a Gen 3 G19. I thought that it would be to large to conceal easily and I wasn't interested in buying a new wardrobe to make it work. About three months ago I was watching a video on youtube and this smallish girl showed how she could carry a G19 concealed and I figured if she could with her small frame than I could do. The only holsters I had we a Blackhawk Serpa and a Uncle Mikes OWB holsters. I regret not keeping better track of when I started carrying but for the first over a month maybe two I carried IWB with no holster(yes I know not the best choice) and depending on the shirt I was wearing, I carried at either the three to four o clock position or appendix carry. I had no issues with carrying this way I just cinched the belt down other than is was a little tight. A little over a month ago(I think) I bought a barely used Crossbread Supertuc holster off craigslist for $50, I have been carrying almost daily at about the three to four o clock position. Depending on where the belt loops are and how tight the pants are I will move it forward or back for comfort. All that being said I have not noticed to much of a difference from before in my daily life.

The main differences are the I am very aware of my shirt and whether I might be printing or not. I try hard not to but I am constantly adjusting to checking my shirt to make sure I am okay. I will also check my reflection often to make sure the G19 isn't noticeable through my shirt. I think my situational awareness is slightly raised from before, but I feel that I had a really high situational awareness before I carried also. I have carried almost everywhere city parks, post office, multiple grocery stores, wally world, bimart, my son's school play ground, community college that I attend, a couple malls, Toys R Us, my sons baseball games and practice cub scout meetings and just about anywhere else a normal person goes on a regular basis. Even with my constant awareness and messing with my shirt I think I am mostly positive no one around me has seen it. I know my wife has a couple times at home(shes not happy about my decision, as we live in a perfectly safe place and in her mind bad stuff happens so in frequently unless you put your self in a bad situations all the time that, I am being paranoid and shouldn't carry because we live in a safe area.). From both our perspective I mostly agree with what she says about where we live and spend our time. However, we do attend church, we have kids in school and we are in the public often at any number of common targets for the crazies out there that want to do harm.

To Be Continued.

dude... confidence in your decision to carry, and WAAAAAAAAY more important and urgent, YOURSELF. A confident man will draw attention up to his eyes and away from anything else.

Just a little bit paranoid. I carry my Ruger SR9c OWB in a Fobus paddle holster virtually everywhere. I wear shorts and T-shirts all year long. All I need is an unbuttoned overshirt to cover the holster and I'm good to go.

Like you, I was always fooling with my shirt because I was convinced that I was printing badly. It took a while, but I finally figured out that nobody was paying any attention at all. I've been in banks and credit unions, bars and restaurants, and shopping centers carrying my pistol. Only a few people have ever made me for being armed. In most of those cases it was another guy who appeared to be carrying also. A couple of times I was spotted getting in/out of a restaurant booth, but nobody has ever even said a word about it.

Almost everybody else out there is doing their own thing and just hasn't got much attention span left to worry about the bulge at your waistline. So long as you are aware of what is going on around you and don't call attention to yourself, you should be just fine carrying anywhere it is lawful to do so.

Regarding your wife's worries about carrying: My wife was the same way at first. Then she got her purse snatched. Now she is just fine with me carrying a gun when we are out and about. She still doesn't like guns at all (a little bit afraid of them actually), but she knows that I know what I'm doing, and now feels safer when we are out of our house together. It is important to remember that crime occurs anywhere. Anymore, there isn't really any place that might be considered "crime free". Some places might be safer than others, but the bad guys can show up anywhere, any time.

Your too paranoid....about who will see it. Stop checking your shirt..and I got news for you there is no perfectly safe place or "crime free area". Hell I even carry in my own home 24/7.

I carry off and on since I have little kids and find sometimes I just don't want to have to worry if they jump they will touch it in some way.

My father-in law recently went out and took the class for Oregon/Utah/Arizona also applying for his WA.

My fiancee goes "I want to get my CCP at least for WA this month and I would like to take the classes for the rest soon." She has never fired a gun until meeting me. She doesn't per say hate them nor like them. She however has thank'd me a time or two for having one present in unfamiliar towns with rough crowds around us and the kids. To us society is changing rapidly and its better to be prepared than be left wishing we were.

Washington is an Open Carry State. If you print or your weapon pops out, your covered. Its not illegal. I Open Carry. Its the most comfortable way for me and I take advantage of my legal right too. :) Good luck with your comfort issue with society. And learn the law. You can loose your Right if you carry where it is illegal too.
Dave

The other poster are right on. My wife also gave some flack until she was assaulted in a store in broad daylight last year she packs now too.I carry a Sig229 everyday and i was a little paranoid when i first started 10 years ago. I built my confidence by caring in the house and when out away from the masses. As time passes you will realize that the average person on the street is oblivious to you, your intentions and the little bump on your waist. Only gun guys like us are sizing up everyone with a loose shirt and a good belt. (never mind a fanny pack or safari vest) Just check your clothing and think about what your going to do and carry with confidence. Take it slow and you will be fine.
Oh yea the Post Office is a no-no.

Washington is an Open Carry State. If you print or your weapon pops out, your covered. Its not illegal. I Open Carry. Its the most comfortable way for me and I take advantage of my legal right too. :) Good luck with your comfort issue with society. And learn the law. You can loose your Right if you carry where it is illegal too.
Dave
There is nothing about 'printing' being an issue in WA gun law. And most ppl don't what it is even if you do print.

Even carry in the post office may not be a no-no. Interesting read here:

Question about concealed carry in a Post Office | Robert Louis Williamson's Weblog

Anybody want to volunteer to be the test case?

Bill, thanks for posting that link. I read that and had two immediate thoughts. First, there is indeed some latitude there in the interpretation of the language. Second, that latitude might still cost one some $$$ on lawyers should the Feds decide to charge a person (ie., you might win, but you could easily end up spending $10K+ on legal fees if there is no precedent).

Peter

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to go check my resources again and see where I found it wasn't illegal to carry in a post office. I will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow. I remember I felt reasonable confedent when I read up on the issue, although that was when I first recieved my permit also so over a year ago now.

Dave
I thought Oregon was Open carry also?

Hey I have a question for you guys. Is this considered open carry or what? I have considered open carry a few times when I was on my own without the wife and kids, after getting the Crossbread holster. I have tried open carry at home with my blackhawk serpa and it really isn't comfortable and I tried getting in and out of the car and there was all kinds of interference. I think it is just too wide of a holster for my everyday use. Here is a pic of what I am asking about.

Also, My holster "squeaks" with every step I take. It is really annoying, anyone else have this problem with supertuck holsters? could it be the desert camo finish against the Kydex? Also the holster was originally for a Glock 26 and not a 19, could that be the prob or is the annoying squeak normal? If it's normal I am going to have to find something new soon.

I wear a supertuck and it is very comfortable. The holster looks like it is a) worn to far forward b) need some adjustment. The holes on the clips allow for that adjustment c) I think your pants are tight. and the belt is most likely the noise.
I am fat and supertuck works for me

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top