JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a first for me and if anyone has had this happen please tell me about it.

OK, this morning I get a call on a my phone with what appears to be a legitimate phone number (same prefix as my cell) however I do not answer it as I do not recognize it.

A few minutes later I get a voicemail with a very real female voice saying someone called her from this number and she was wondering what it was about.

OK, so I call her back and she answers, very nice person, and we talk about it and I ask her to read the number on her phone and it was very much my number. I also do NOT show an outgoing call to her number.

I have in the past gotten voicemail messages that were obviously intended for someone else and either called or texted back and the person admitted to calling the wrong number - nothing new about that and we have all done it.

Anyway this was very odd and a first for me!

Scammers pirate phone number. I had a buddy almost get a divorce over it. He use to travel to the middle east often for work and while he was there he number got stolen and long story short his wife thought he was cheating on her and got super pissed.

Like you, if I don't recognize a number I don't answer. So I got a voicemail from a guy who says he keeps getting phone calls from my number. Being a nice guy I wanted to give him a call to talk about it, but I decided it was some kind of scam thing so didn't call. I still wonder about it.

Someone, probably running some kind of scam, spoofed your number. This has happenned to me as well. One day I had an angry message on my answering machine from a woman who said she got a scam call from my number. She cussed me all kinds of ways and said she was going to turn me in to the cops (as if they would care), etc. etc.

Being a nice guy I wanted to give him a call to talk about it,
In my case this gal was obviously not a 'scam' - and the fact she mentioned it was MY number that called her is what influenced my call back to her.

In the meantime however I was talking about this with a friend this morning and he told me HIS landline number once called a guy with the same scenario - the guy called him back and left a voicemail asking what the call was about.

I am wondering if this is more common than I suspect and in a lot of cases the person on the receiving end doesn't follow up so its never revealed where the call came from.

I got called by my own number, twice. Of course I didn't answer it because the prime directive is never poke the paradox or something that will destroy the universe. pretty sure anyway

So how then is the 'pirated' phone number used to make calls if it is already in use by another?

I am sure anything is possible in the world of Hi Tec however and it is probably not at all anything particularly challenging.
See the article I posted above in #5.

ETA: or just google "phone number spoofing."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR