JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So for the last couple of months I have been putting together what I think is an ideal AR rifle. Unfortunately I just had shoulder surgery and can't get out to shoot it yet. I have come to prefer piston driven AR's for a number of reasons including their ease of cleaning and the lack of gas to my face (lefty) when shooting with a suppressor.

I have been searching for a used ambi (KAC, Sig etc) lower for sometime. I recently located a used Sig 516 lower with a few upgrades including a nickel boron hammer and .45 deg BAD ambi safety. I installed a buffer tube and the associated equipment and ordered a Magpul ACS stock to finish off the lower.

The same week I found the lower, I located the upper I had been searching for, a PWS MK-116 Mod 1. This particular upper uses a long stroke (ala AK) piston system that is very intriging to me. I hope that it will deliver the performance I expect that it will. Thus far I am very impressed with the quality of this system, it shows a ton of inovative thinking. It is also very light weight.

I topped the upper with a Warne ramp mount and ordered a Burris MTAC 1-4 to facilitate accurate shots. I used a Warne 45 deg forward mount and added an LWRC skirmish rear sight and one of the new Magpul Pro front sights to use as back up. Used a Magpul forward grip and a Blue Force VCAS sling as the final touch. Well not final I still need a light, have not decided on which one yet.

Now if only I could get out and shoot it.

Chris,

That sounds like a cool build list. That is one of the biggest advantages of the AR platform rifle it can be easily assembled by the end user in millions of configurations.

Have you considered a piston operating system? They have many advantages. Also while shopping around check out LWRC's sights on their web page. I really have taken to their rear sight.

Good luck

Legos for men. Or is it Barbies for men? Either way, very cool. I just got all my parts for a "value" build with free float hand guard. Now I need to find the time to put it together.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top