JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been selling on ebay for over a decade and been a PayPal member since they started up. Over one thousand transactions, LOTS of fees paid and yesterday they permanently limited my account. I listed an upper here offering PayPal as a payment option. It's not a gun, and it's not a registered item.
10 year account closed without repeal. The customer service agent said the decision was final. Can't receive payment on ebay with it either. Guess I need to buck up and get a real merchant account.

In their acceptable use policy for prohibited items reads, "(h) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories."

Way to be specific, and to find out what is "OK" I have to email them and ask. Seriously? Oh well, someone else gets my 3% and ebay is dead to me now. Just thought I'd share my experience with others out there before you lose your ability to use your PayPal account forever.

I spent a couple years selling on Ebay, and have nothing but bad things to say about PayPal and Ebay. PayPal is an Ebay company, so Ebay charges you to list an item (even if you have an Ebay store), then charges a final value fee, then PayPal charges a fee to receive the payment.

My god! What a racket! So I feel your pain.

And thanks for the heads up about the firearms and ammunition being not acceptable according to Paypal.

Yeah, they flagged me for offering the form of payment.
Not even sure why they could verify it was my account?
My email was not listed on the ad.

Yeah, PP doesn't like guns. If you have to use them, don't tell them what the money is for. Call it a gift or something else. I'm surprised eBay allows you to sell uppers there.

I spent a couple years selling on Ebay, and have nothing but bad things to say about PayPal and Ebay. PayPal is an Ebay company, so Ebay charges you to list an item (even if you have an Ebay store), then charges a final value fee, then PayPal charges a fee to receive the payment.

Not to mention that once eGay bought Paypal, suddenly it was no longer OK to allow people to pay via money order or check (I had auctions cancelled and nearly lost my accounts for the mere mention of money orders). Funny how that was just fine and dandy until Paypal was acquired.

And thanks for the heads up about the firearms and ammunition being not acceptable according to Paypal.

Nothing new there, it's been that way for years now. You just need to read the information they say to read when you sign up. I used to be an authorized eBay trainer so maybe I read the rules a little closer than most do!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Nothing new there, it's been that way for years now. You just need to read the information they say to read when you sign up. I used to be an authorized eBay trainer so maybe I read the rules a little closer than most do!

Don't forget to read their updates either. They have a lot of similarities to a bank which isn't a good thing.

No, it was listed here on NWFA, ebay would have shut it down within 2 hours.

Paypal actively searches for references to paypal to see where people might be attempting to use paypal in ways that they don't approve of. (They contacted me regarding a gunbroker.com listing I had because they found the word paypal in the auction)

After dozens of transaction on Ebay [100% record] for my model train interests totalling around $15k, and elsewhere wherever it could be used, I got an 'account limited' notification slapped on me for no reason.

Trying to sort it out was useless, every time I filled out one particular part of the fix it sent me right back to the beginning. After about a month they emole me asking why I hadn't 'resolved' the issue, so I told them and advised them to go piss up a rope.

tac
Former PayPal user

The main reason that both Ebay and Paypal are so anti gun is that they are based out of silicone valley just outside of San Francisco. Ebay bows down the the California law makers and there BS California gun laws. Plus back in the 90's the ATF put pressure on Ebay about selling certain items. I still have a copy today of an auction that I found back in 95, I think, for a drop in auto sear for an AR15. This is no chit. Even had pictures of the auto sear. A lot of stuff came to the surface when Ebay first started. When the money order thing statred, I got around it for awhile by stating that I would accept a USPS money transaction. Then they would not key on the words money order. Then they caught on to that. My girlfriend bought some Tiffany stuff on Ebay and a year or so later decided to sell it on Ebay, and Ebay removed my listing saying that it was counterfit without checking with me first. I told them that the item was purchased from Ebay earlier so why can't I resell it? No answer. There is a way around the Paypal fees also. When you send money, you type in the email address and amount, then drop down to the personal tab. Click on that, then click on either gift or payment owed. Neither one of these options charge any fees. Never mention what the money is for. Really it is non of there buisness.

After dozens of transaction on Ebay [100% record] for my model train interests totalling around $15k, and elsewhere wherever it could be used, I got an 'account limited' notification slapped on me for no reason.

Trying to sort it out was useless, every time I filled out one particular part of the fix it sent me right back to the beginning. After about a month they emole me asking why I hadn't 'resolved' the issue, so I told them and advised them to go piss up a rope.

tac
Former PayPal user

What scale trains do you collect?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR