JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
back in the Day, we all used M1 Garands and M1A for shooting NRA High Power
but a Garand had to be rebarreled and rebedded every 6000 rnds to be competitive
then we heard the Marines were switching over to their M16 for their rifle team in '86
the Army followed a couple years latter
Colt then released an AR15A2 HBAR for us civilians to use in High Power
you will note this is from the old Colt Firearms Division, not Colt Industries
we found we could shoot these Colt about 25,000 rnd before we had to rebuild them,
and we could rebarrel a Colt in our garage with $100 in tools
I know this is hard for you youngsters to under stand, but there was no internet - True - True
we exchanged information in the parking lot after the competition with the venders and the Marine shooters
the majority of the NRA shooters called us "Mouse Gunners" but that Colt sure could shoot with handloaded SMK 69 gn loads out to 600 yds - on a good day, with low wind, I could smoke those M1A
I talked to an Army Team member out of Ft Lewis and learned about the Millazo 2 stage trigger for the AR - I acquired one of the first 500 made in '91
now, I'm old, with Old guy eyes
I acquired a Danial Defense A4 upper for my large hole Colt - fit like it's hand lapped
that's a Vortex viper 4X12 on top the Leupold mount
a BHW P3 barrel in a free float tube - JP adj gas port
here's my first 100 yds site in target using IMI 69 gn RAZOR ammo - I think I can do better with handloads
I've saved the original Colt upper with it's NM sight for my kids, if they ever want to take up High Power shooting

and that rifle sling - custom made by John Fields down in Stayton, OR back in '91 - a great craftsman

rjmt

t

OK, don't know if the photos posted the first time
rjmt P1030720.JPG P1030973.JPG P1030981.JPG

the majority of the NRA shooters called us "Mouse Gunners" but that Colt sure could shoot with handloaded SMK 69 gn loads out to 600 yds - on a good day, with low wind, I could smoke those M1A
Yes !
When I think "Mouse Gun", it's always been M16/AR15.
It means pocket pistol to some people....o_O

Nice writeup....appreciate it.

the sad point for all of you to understand is that back in '91, I could shoot the same accuracy with the original Colt upper and NM iron sights -prone, off a mat, with a tight NM leather sling - no sandbags or rest
now - I need optics and I had to have a new shooting coat made - somehow my old shooting coat shrank

it sucks getting old

rjmt

That it does. I find my old eyes now need assistance with long guns and pistols of all types. What is up with that? They didn't used to... It was a sad day for this prior USAF shooting team member and champion to admit things weren't as they always were when I had to put a red dot on my .22 & a laser on my EDC.

The upside is that now it's easier to hit where I am aiming!

I should start a new thread on these BHW P3 barrels made in St, Helens, Or
have them on 3 builds now - great barrels at a reasonable price
and you can see the potential accruacy with just factory ammo in the pic

rjmt

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show