Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My new son's first gun show.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Nov 17, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I will be taking my new son (12 years old) to his first gun show this weekend. I will be interested in seeing how interested he is in the whole thing. I guess I have to be prepared to be okay with it if he shows no interest. :)

2. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

Awesome, PP!! Any Dad/Son time is good time :thumbup:

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Good deal! Here is another place to take him,

Clackamas County WES

PST 99
    Home Firearms Safety Class
    $10

I took this class with my boys and they enjoyed it

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I am not allowed to take him to a range yet. The adoption has to be final before I can take him shooting.

5. Chick Holsters

Chick Holsters WA Member

That's awesome--good for you, both in taking him and being prepared for low expectations. You know they have enough things for all ages that he could find interest in. As long as you have the time to stroll around with him a bit, I bet he'll find something.
    For the longest time I didn't know why my son loved going, cuz he didn't last very long at 3-4 yrs old. :wiggle: And every time after begging for me to take him, he was wanting to go home shortly after arriving. :wave: Finally figured out it was cuz he wanted the pistol hand stamp they gave him at the door on the way in. :rolleyes: But he got better... and more expensive...

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

This class doesn't actually go anywhere near the range just the classroom, but I understand that it's best to err on the side of caution when dealing with the government.

7. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Buy him some Root Beer licorice. It keeps my girls happy while I mull around. ;)

8. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

I'm in the process of adopting also, getting close to finalizing. Where did you hear you can't take him shooting until finalization? I haven't heard that, but my DHS case worker isn't the sharpest knife on the butcher block. We got lots of flack during the homestudy when they found out I have firearms. Are you in Oregon or Washington, maybe that's what makes the difference. If it's not too personal, what kind of adoption are you doing? We went through the Oregon foster system. It's always nice to run into gun guys that have adopted, almost all I've talked to get grilled for having guns.

9. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you have room for a 37 year old "new son" if he doesn't like guns? Just wanted to see if I could get in on inheriting some of your collection, hopefully a lot of years from now of course!

10. dan10mmman

dan10mmman puget sound Member

Awesome PP adoption is a beautiful thing to open your heart and home to a child in need. I salute you.
    However I have had dealings with the courts in Washington [custody battle] The courts do NOT like children being exposed to firearms. You might want to wait untill things are finalized. I do not want to rain on your parade, but I dont think I would go to this show, wait dont do anything that might cause a problem with the adoption.
    Everything changes when the paperwork is sighned, sealed and delivered. It is sad that it has to be that way, but it is.
    I thank you for being the good man that you are. And I beleive in my heart that you will raise this young man to be someone we will all be proud to know
    dan10mmman

11. Neil

Neil Portland Metro Area Member

I am sure your new son will enjoy the gun show experience!

Atleast for my sons; the more energy & enthusiasm I have for any of my hobbies, the more they love to be a part of the hobby. My 8 year old actually loves to go to the Clackamas Gun Broker and check out the store. He reminds me when we are there which rifles he would like...

12. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

He is a 12 year old boy. He will love the gun show.

13. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

+1

14. barrigadaharley

barrigadaharley hillsboro Active Member

if you all dont mind me asking....what show is this weekend??...looked at the rose city schedule and theres nothing happening....am i missing out on a show??

15. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

funny thing is, i rarely see little kids at the gun show.lol

It might be hard to look at guns and look out for your boy at the same time.:bluelaugh:

Have a fun time!!:cool:

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Oh man,my favorite places have always been flea market type places.
    And gun show fall into that category.All the parts and peices everywhere!So many things to look at!

He should have a blast.(pun not intended)

17. usmc

usmc oregon Active Member

congrats for getting your boy! yeah i remember my first gun show, it was awesome and i still like them.:thumbup: