JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a safe from Charlie at Mountain View Safe Company to replace the old Walnut gun cabinet.

DSCN0893.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

I need to get a couple of racks for the pistols.

Congratulations on the new safe! I bought the same safe not to long ago from Charlie also.

I think it is really funny how the safe company calls this a 33 gun safe. Yes, it has 33 spots for rifles, but you can't fit anywhere near that much in! Maybe if you were storing broom sticks! :s0114:

Yeah, you need a rack for the handguns, but I would also recommend a trip to Fred Meyers and pick up an organizing system for all the gun stuff. Here is a picture the setup I use. The stuff doesn't cost too much and helps keep the junk effect down.

Also, you can see in the reflection in the plastic drawers that I ran rope lights around the inside of the door jam. You can barely see the switch I use to turn them on in the upper left hand corner. If you want more details, I can provide pics and guidance on how I got the lights in...

IMG_4640.jpg

Congratulations on the new safe! I bought the same safe not to long ago from Charlie also.

I think it is really funny how the safe company calls this a 33 gun safe. Yes, it has 33 spots for rifles, but you can't fit anywhere near that much in! Maybe if you were storing broom sticks! :s0114:

Yeah, you need a rack for the handguns, but I would also recommend a trip to Fred Meyers and pick up an organizing system for all the gun stuff. Here is a picture the setup I use. The stuff doesn't cost too much and helps keep the junk effect down.

Also, you can see in the reflection in the plastic drawers that I ran rope lights around the inside of the door jam. You can barely see the switch I use to turn them on in the upper left hand corner. If you want more details, I can provide pics and guidance on how I got the lights in...

IMG_4640.jpg

I did the same thing with the lights, but I put a electric box in, and put a motion detector, so the lights come on when i open my door!

I mounted the box in the lower left hand "cubby" its super simple and not very expensive. I think i might have used 2 ropes of lights too, i wanted it to look like Las Vegas when I opened it!

IMG_4640.jpg

I would love some hints on the lights. Bring it on!

Steve

That top shelf is not going to hold much weight,may want to consider making one a little more heavy duty.
I have the same safe,and the shelf is bowed pretty bad already.
RK

OK, you asked for it ;)

Here is a picture of the cables coming in through the hole in the back of the safe. I have 3 wires coming in. A USB cable and power cable for my external hard drive. (My computer automatically backs up all of my files to the external hard drive in the safe once per day to keep them safe. I don't want someone stealing my $50 computer and lose 10 years of kid pictures...) The third (larger) wire is an extension cord. I had to cut the end off to get it through the hole and replace it with a new end. (Very easy). You can see the cable disappear behind the fabric in the corner of the safe. It is almost invisible.
IMG_4642.jpg

Here is a picture of the cable as it turns the corner to run to the front of the safe. IMG_4643.jpg

When it gets to the front it turns to get to the side of the safe you stand on when you open the door. You can see the cable sneak out from behind the fabric here. You can also see two lines of rope light that are coiled around the door jam.
IMG_4644.jpg

Here is a picture of how I hooked up the switch to turn the light on. A little velcro to the back of the switch and some zip ties stapled into the sheet rock on the inside of the safe holds it quite well.
IMG_4645.jpg

This final picture shows how the rope light and cables are held in place. (Wow, that really washed out. You can also see the zip ties in some of the other pictures...) I held a zip tie flat against the inside and stapled it in the corner. I ran the cable by, closed the zip tie, and that is the whole thing...
IMG_4646.jpg

That top shelf is not going to hold much weight,may want to consider making one a little more heavy duty.
I have the same safe,and the shelf is bowed pretty bad already.
RK

Yeah you could certainly replace it. You even may be able to re-use the same carpet.

If the bow gets worse over time on mine, I will just flip it occasionally. Maybe I would replace it, but not likely...

I was looking at the next size down that Charlie just brought out,same width and depth,but shorter.
My situation is getting bad,not enough room,and too many smaller safes.
Hoping to find the space to put one more of the big ones along with the shorter version somewhere in the house since the garage is full of fab tools and Zuk parts.

OK, you asked for it

Here is a picture of the cables coming in through the hole in the back of the safe. I have 3 wires coming in. A USB cable and power cable for my external hard drive. (My computer automatically backs up all of my files to the external hard drive in the safe once per day to keep them safe. I don't want someone stealing my $50 computer and lose 10 years of kid pictures...) The third (larger) wire is an extension cord. I had to cut the end off to get it through the hole and replace it with a new end. (Very easy). You can see the cable disappear behind the fabric in the corner of the safe. It is almost invisible.

OK. So I feel kind of stupid asking this question since I haven't looked at my safe really closely since having it delivered, but did you drill the hole yourself for the cables, or am I missing something on my safe?

You guys should look into some of these racks. A guy from another gum forum makes them and they are very, very nice...affordable too. I use them and they really help keep things organized. :)

<broken link removed>

SAFERACKS.jpg

You guys should look into some of these racks. A guy from another gum forum makes them and they are very, very nice...affordable too. I use them and they really help keep things organized. :)

Playboy, thanks for the link. The Greystone racks look great. Too bad he's closed for the Holidays, but I will definitely check it out in the new year.

Cougfan, nice looking safe.

I may be in the market for another one soon.
I need a place to put all the old photo albums, and important papers. There starting to warp my upper shelf.

and yes I like old wood...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads