JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sold my ar15 and 700 replaced them with a new ar10. A POF P308 16.5". I put a vortex Viper pst 2.5-10x32 ffp scope on it with Warne maxima qd rings. I'm also trying out some offset iron sights. So far I only have 50 round through this. I'll get some more range time tomorrow and see how it groups fgmm at 100 yards.

I have a different fore end and two more mags on the way from POF.

Here are a couple pics.

Here's the rail I ordered, it's supposed to cut 10 ounces off the front of the rifle.

The rail on the rifle is for sale in the classifieds.

mrail_bigprofile_crop.png

2014-01-25%2021.00.14.jpg

2014-01-25%2020.58.33.jpg

I put two boxes of colt steel case ammo made by barnaul and one box of brass ppu through it. I had a cheap 1-4 on it, so groups weren't anything too impressive. I'm going again tomorrow, so we'll see how it is with a better scope and some match grade ammo. From what I'm reading online it might take some time to get used to shootingThe a precision ar.

Got the same except in 20". Its been perfect. Got it set up for LR. Took some LR classes from OTSNW with it. Hits on steel well past 1k. Had to install the PRS stock to raise eye level to be in line with the scope. Still needed to add some ratpad onto the stock to get more elevation. Trigger sucked so I added the Giselle SSA. Also need a Harris brms quick detach bipod with spikes. Theres also a suppressor switch so you can add a can. This is a 1 moa gun now for me any day of the week. I can get down to 1/2 moa if I practice regularly.

I wouldnt bother with the irons. This takes pmags also. They are cheaper than pof mags and work the same. If your doing any prone then get some 10 rounders because the 20 rounders touch the ground often and cause the rifle to high center. Shooting a gas gun is different than a bolt gun because you have to manage the effects of the recoil of the BCG mass moving aft and then moving forward. This can lift up the barrel and then drop it down. Not much but enough to miss at LR. Bolt guns dont have this issue. If your serious about LR then get some LR training from someone who can advise you how to shoot a gas gun. The training will pay for itself because you wont be wasting rounds.

I wouldnt bother with the irons. This takes pmags also. They are cheaper than pof mags and work the same. If your doing any prone then get some 10 rounders because the 20 rounders touch the ground often and cause the rifle to high center. Shooting a gas gun is different than a bolt gun because you have to manage the effects of the recoil of the BCG mass moving aft and then moving forward. This can lift up the barrel and then drop it down. Not much but enough to miss at LR. Bolt guns dont have this issue. If your serious about LR then get some LR training from someone who can advise you how to shoot a gas gun. The training will pay for itself because you wont be wasting rounds.

The irons were $30, right now they're a little to high because of the taller rail. So they probably won't stay. I was thinking I might set it up for 3 gun, but their isn't much of that around here anyway.
Mine came with a gen3 20 round pmag, and I have 2 more coming. When I find some 10 round mags in stock I'll pick up 2. After I get some more time behind it and see how it shoots at the 200-300 yard range at Tri County, I'll probably take a class. Or at least show up Tuesday night for the long range group.

I am a tcgc member also. I might see you around sometime. I have shot their 600 on Tuesday. Have you done it before? The director requires you to meet certain criteria before he lets you shoot.

I am a tcgc member also. I might see you around sometime. I have shot their 600 on Tuesday. Have you done it before? The director requires you to meet certain criteria before he lets you shoot.

I haven't. I emailed him last year about joining them. He told me to just show up. I've shot out to 900 yards with my 700. I know the basics, but some direction, especially while shooting prone would be awesome.

They just want to be safe. Cant afford to even have 1 round leave the range. Show up with your 600 yd dope, about 20 match rounds, and tell him you shot alot at LR. You need to convince him you know what your doing and your safe. He may have you single load them as another safety measure. Shooting the 600 is a good experience because you get to pull and spot targets for half the time. Its a range system mostly only used by military so its a unique experience.

prone shooting fundamentals. They are the same for 100 as they are for 600 or even 1000. You can practice these skils dry. But dont take my word for it. Watch this. This video covers a lot of it. Caylen Wojcik knows it and is a great teacher. Rare combo. He teaches classes 3 hrs from Portland in Yakima for Magpul. We are fortunate to have a free lesson here. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=weBuYmnpg38

I got the scope sighted in with some cheap steel case. Shot a couple groups that weren't very impressive. Then switched to fgmm. What a difference, punching one ragged hole when I do my part. I definitely need some more time behind this new rig to be consistent. I was shooting from the bench and my bipod feels to high, I also forgot my rear bag at home. I'll post some groups after I get some more time behind it. I was getting some vertical stringing.

A rear bag would have helped with vertical stringing error. A bigger contribution to vertical stringing error comes from not having a properly adjusted comb height. Use layers of foam like in this video to fix comb height until you get a prs stock. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjJMc1SO30 Set up your rifle correctly so that you can get consistency out of it. Then you have eliminated those other variables within the rifle so you only have to focus on yourself applying the fundamentals of marksmanship. Also make sure your 'length of pull' is set correctly.

A rear bag would have helped with vertical stringing error. A bigger contribution to vertical stringing error comes from not having a properly adjusted comb height. Use layers of foam like in this video to fix comb height until you get a prs stock. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjJMc1SO30 Set up your rifle correctly so that you can get consistency out of it. Then you have eliminated those other variables within the rifle so you only have to focus on yourself applying the fundamentals of marksmanship. Also make sure your 'length of pull' is set correctly.

I'll remember my rear bag next time. This rifle won't see a prs, It's already too heavy. I went with very low rings and a small objective scope because I didn't want to have a poor cheek weld with the taller monolithic upper. If I go with a bigger scope I'll switch the str stock for a ctr and add the LaRue risr to make up the difference. I adjusted my lop, next on my list is a lighter trigger and a larger grip to fit my big hands.

I got my new rail an installed it. Here are a couple pics.

I've decided I want more magnification, so I have an SWFA SS 5-20 HD on it's way. Here's a link to the scope if you're unfamiliar. <broken link removed>

I have the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10, Vortex Viper PST 1-4, and Leupold VX3 W/target turrets and Mildot posted in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

2014-01-27%2016.39.16.jpg 2014-01-27%2016.36.37.jpg

I also got a Burris tac30 1-4 in a trade. That'll go in another set of Warne maxima qd rings. Then I can switch back and forth. And my ergo deluxe tactical grip showed up. Now I need to order a bipod mount.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top