JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry to have to post this BUT I've had numerous squibs from that brand. BEWARE. I am in the process of CAREFULLY shooting the last of it up and never buying it again. If you get a CLICK, STOP, wait a minute and then clear everything and check your bore for obstructions !
Last time I shot that was probably 8-10 years ago.

I like my LCPs and my new RSRH .454 with zero issues but have no experience with their rifles
My LCPII was ok ate any ammo you load into it, but only accurate out to about 10 feet. My Ruger Super Redhawk was ok, way long though(9.5" barrel) and the trigger sucks compared to a good S&W. It was a good gun, but I'll take S&W over Ruger any day of the week when it comes to 1911's or wheel guns.

My LCPII was ok ate any ammo you load into it, but only accurate out to about 10 feet. My Ruger Super Redhawk was ok, way long though(9.5" barrel) and the trigger sucks compared to a good S&W. It was a good gun, but I'll take S&W over Ruger any day of the week when it comes to 1911's or wheel guns.
SW has never been even close to Ruger. You just deal with it compared to SW

I miss going to Cabelas and grabbing 10-30 of these at $2.99 for my SKS back in the day!
View attachment 819746
If I could still do that today, I'd already own the bolt 7.62x39!

OP post up some targets! That looks like a fun and light weight rig!

Back in the day, we are talking the 1960s-1970s, Herter's stood for quality. Plus the catalog was a blast! I ordered a lot from them, never got anything I wasn't happy with, OK the powder scale was a bit weird, but I bought a BUNCH of gear from them that I still have and still works perfectly. Looking at prices now, I wish I had bought more! Still have a (who knows where after the last few moves) wild sheep wool sweater, getting a bit worn the last time I found it, but still wearable, and the books are a hoot AND still useful for fun/info.

Last Edited:
Probably the sexiest bolt gun, ever :cool:

Ruger #1 in 7X57 with the same furniture is right up there too, PAX

1612498598789.png

Back in the day, we are taking the 1960s-1970s, Herter's stood for quality. Plus the catalog was a blast! I ordered a lot from them, never got anything I wasn't happy with, OK the powder scale was a bit weird, but I bought a BUNCH of gear from them that I still have and still works perfectly. Looking at prices now, I wish I had bought more! Still have a (who knows where after the last few moves) wild sheep wool sweater, getting a bit worn the last time I found it, but still wearable, and the books are a hoot AND still useful for fun/info.

Never heard of Herter until I bought 7.62 x 39 ... it was crap

Never heard of Herter until I bought 7.62 x 39

The old Herter's was a completely different company. They have been out of the business for many years. In more recent times, Cabela's bought the rights to use the Herter's brand name. There is no connection between the two uses of the name. Cabela's uses the Herter's brand to market a line of (relatively) inexpensive ammunition sourced from contract manufacturers in different countries. There is no Herter's factory, per se.

A bit off topic. One of the original Herter's gimmicks was their "Wasp Waist" bullet. Yes, it had undulations down the shank of the bullet. I got some of these in a bid lot of junk somewhere. I forget what the concept of benefit of this shape was. I figured, "How can this thing work right?" I loaded some up, they shot just as well (but no better in my experience) than regular bullets. .

The original Herter's was all about marketing gimmicks and salesmanship. Everything they sold was self-described as, "Best Money Can Buy," "Finest in the World," etc. Most of their stuff was functionally fine. And why wouldn't it be, because most of it was made on contract by outside suppliers.

Something about the packaging of herters always screamed low quality to me. Bought a handful of times but I can't remember the last time I saw one of their headstamps in my brass pile

A bit off topic. One of the original Herter's gimmicks was their "Wasp Waist" bullet. Yes, it had undulations down the shank of the bullet. I got some of these in a bid lot of junk somewhere. I forget what the concept of benefit of this shape was. I figured, "How can this thing work right?" I loaded some up, they shot just as well (but no better in my experience) than regular bullets. .

The original Herter's was all about marketing gimmicks and salesmanship. Everything they sold was self-described as, "Best Money Can Buy," "Finest in the World," etc. Most of their stuff was functionally fine. And why wouldn't it be, because most of it was made on contract by outside suppliers.

I used to love their duck decoys but they sure were heavy.

Yes, Herters went out of business in the (early?) 1970s when George Herter opened stores around the upper midwest, just in time for the depression, and they went belly up. The original Cabellas, Bass Pro Shop, etc.

The "new" Herters' is just a name picked out of the pile of long forgotten companies, like Charles Daley and L.C. Smith, etc. that has nothing to do with the original company. To blame the original company for what the current company, using the fine old name, is putting out is like blaming George Washington for Creepy Joe getting elected prez .

Yes, everything was "the best, the coolist, the finest, the greatest", and alot of it really was. They also stood behind it, if you didn't like it, send it back, no questions, no problems. What company can you point to that claims "buy our stuff, it's generally OK, fairly good, not top notch, but for the money what do you expect?"? Please point them out to me! Not even McDonalds does that!

No they didn't make any of it themselves. So?! You think Ford makes all the parts themselves? They import half of what they "make" from Mexico, China, etc. and the other half is outsourced to other countries/companies, including a factory just down the road here. You think WallyWorld makes all the stuff with their name on it? 97% of it comes from China, 3% from "other". What about Costco? So why whine that Herters didn't make stuff, but had it made? As Creepy Joe would say "Come on, man!"

Yeah I remember their wasp waisted bullets. The idea was to hold pressures down, and guess what? Independent tests (the NRA did a report on them back in the day, as did other companies/mags) showed they did exactly that and were excellent bullets! Look at some of the current solid copper (or whatever mix) bullets with the same "gimick". OK, in YOUR gun some 48+ year old bullets "only" shot as good as the modern state of the art bullets did. OK, and...? That seems pretty good to me!

OK, in YOUR gun some 48+ year old bullets "only" shot as good as the modern state of the art bullets did. OK, and...? That seems pretty good to me!

I was just glad at the time that they worked well and didn't turn out to be something goofy that didn't work.

My point about contract buying lines of merchandise (like Sears) was that their ammo wasn't factory branded, like Winchester. Most retail stores carry merchandise branded by the manufacturer. A few, like Herter's and Sears liked to have their name on most of what they sold.

Yes, they were something like a precursor to Cabela's.

Interesting, I have never had any issues with Herter's brand ammo. It isn't match grade stuff, but across a variety of calibers (9mm, 45ACP, 12 Gauge, 357 Magnum, 7.62x39, etc...) it has always functioned perfectly well in my experience!

When I was buying Herters ammo (some 10 or so years ago) it was at Cabelas in Reno. I'm fairly certain it was just rebranded/repackaged Russian ammo. I honestly couldn't care if it was good or not as back then it was dirt cheap and available.

If it was the same price today and readily available, I'd still be buying it and have a gun chambered in 7.62x39.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top