JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's what i like about kel-tec: they really think outside the box with design.

If you call copying thinking outside the box. Neostead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Until we fundamentally change how guns work we are going to keep seeing the same things. Essentially we have had the designs of guns for over 100 years now. Of course we have changed sizes and shapes and quality but all work the same at the basic level. This is just a pump shotgun with 2 magazines...............

The Neostead didnt really make it long but I do like that someone picked up the idea. The only thing (not having handled either) that I like more about the Neo is that the middle position on the mag switch makes it feed both tube vs blocking both.

14+1 capacity for starters. I believe someone will take this idea and make it semi-auto. Still, the KSG is pretty cool. While having different choices in ammo for each tube is cool, I think the magazine switch could create confusion under the stress of battlefield conditions. I sound like I'm criticizing it, but the KSG is a fine gun and I would be happy to own one for about $600-650. I think we will see more bullpup configured shotguns in semi-auto, magazine/drum fed or other "upgrades". Kudos to Keltec for putting it out there. Kip

Honest question here. Besides being shorter than a normal pump what does it do differently than other pump action shotguns?

Also and in my opinion one of the biggest selling point is the fact you can have 2 types of ammo in the 2 different tubes and switch to which ever tube or type of ammo you need in the moment.

RANGE REPORT:::::
I loaded the separate tubes with trap loads on one side and magnum 3" 3 shot steel on the other side.
The first thing is loading takes some getting used to. Unlike a normal shotgun where the shell just stuffs in one hole,you have to push the rounds in directionally according to the tube your loading. Probably something that will get easier as I shoot it more.
The second thing to note is the switch that changes tubes is much harder to operate when the tubes are loaded. When you switch from one tube to another the switch physically pushes the rounds forward about a 1/16th" . It won't clear one tube to work unless the switch is covering the other tube. I think this could stand some improvement but was acceptable. It should also be noted that to switch tubes you have remove one of your hands from the weapon. You can't reach the switch which is located approximately 3" rear of the pistol grip with your hands in the shooting position. This also may not be a big deal after some practice.
Next shooting the weapon.
I topped the KSG with an Eotech 516 red dot sight as the weapon has no sights. I think the sight needs to be raised about another 1/2" to line up and give ME, the correct ergonomics. I also added a handle to the picitinny rail on the ejector slide. This is a must in my opinion for this weapon! It gives you a better grip of this short monster and assist in leverage to eject the rounds. (more on that)
The shells ejected hard after being shot. They eject easy if not fired. I had to pull hard enough that I was glad I had the forward handle to assist. I'm hoping it will break in and get easier.

The ergonomics of the bull-pup style weapon were great. I really like having that kind of fire power in a short controllable weapon. It felt good and it can be swung around to acquire new target's much faster than any standard shotgun including folding stocks. Because of the stock being flat and in line with the barrel, there is almost no muzzle rise even with the Magnum loads, so follow up shots are as fast as you can pump the weapon. The trade off for that is, all the energy comes straight back into you. Not a problem for me, but if you are recoil sensitive know that this kicks as much as most single shots.
One last thing to note.... the empty shells come down and out hitting the wrist of the hand you have on the pistol grip pretty hard. Not a big deal unless you don't have a glove or long sleeve on. Then it's a little annoying and even left scratch marks on my wrist.

Over all I would give it an A-. It is a very cool, good handling, close quarter weapon, that could use a little refining. None of the negatives I've listed were enough to take away from that feeling of have a lot of firepower in a very small, very controllable package.
ksg014.jpg

Some questions for you, badclam, if you don't mind...I've been following this shotgun since the press release.

*Can you let us know about the accuracy as well? Can you try some slugs out at 100 yards for us?

*How was the weight with both tubes loaded?

*Did the foreend grip help at all? I've seen a bunch of vids with users favoring the foreend grip (probably because of the added weight to the front and the shorter action cycle than more shotguns).

Sorry....really want to pick your brain on how you like this shotgun. I can see the benifits immediately to this design, but I also know of Kel Tecs reputation with their first generaion of firearms (you're basically a BETA tester for all the bugs). So forgive me for using your experiences to make up my mind for me.

Some questions for you, badclam, if you don't mind...I've been following this shotgun since the press release.

*Can you let us know about the accuracy as well? Can you try some slugs out at 100 yards for us?

*How was the weight with both tubes loaded?

*Did the foreend grip help at all? I've seen a bunch of vids with users favoring the foreend grip (probably because of the added weight to the front and the shorter action cycle than more shotguns).

Sorry....really want to pick your brain on how you like this shotgun. I can see the benifits immediately to this design, but I also know of Kel Tecs reputation with their first generaion of firearms (you're basically a BETA tester for all the bugs). So forgive me for using your experiences to make up my mind for me.

I will shoot some slugs as soon as I can find some cheap slugs. I should note that the hole in the end of the barrel is large. I don't know what choke size it is,but a dime rattles back and forth in the opening,and I know a dime won't fit through a full choke.That would lead me to believe slugs aren't going to be it's strong point,but I'll shoot them and post the results soon.

It is definitely heavier when you load it full, but not unreasonable. The balance was OK, and I didn't really notice the change in weight or balance as I shot it. Maybe that's because of the for end grip I installed.

The fore end grip is a must,and should ship with the weapon. It adds to the over all handling of the weapon and helped a lot with the hard ejecting magnum rounds. Operating the slide without the grip is hard to do and is painful.

I will shoot some slugs as soon as I can find some cheap slugs. I should note that the hole in the end of the barrel is large. I don't know what choke size it is,but a dime rattles back and forth in the opening,and I know a dime won't fit through a full choke.That would lead me to believe slugs aren't going to be it's strong point,but I'll shoot them and post the results soon.

It is definitely heavier when you load it full, but not unreasonable. The balance was OK, and I didn't really notice the change in weight or balance as I shot it. Maybe that's because of the for end grip I installed.

The fore end grip is a must,and should ship with the weapon. It adds to the over all handling of the weapon and helped a lot with the hard ejecting magnum rounds. Operating the slide without the grip is hard to do and is painful.

Thank you for the follow up!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads