Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My New Kahr CM9: First thoughts

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by audi goodness, Jun 18, 2012.

1. audi goodness

audi goodness Seattle Member

Hey new member here and first thread.

So I was in the market for a good subcompact/ pocket pistol that was ideal for EDC and reliable. After doing a lot of research, I settled on the Kahr CM9 style. I went with the CM9 dues to is size, 9mm caliber, style, and good reviews. Also, Kahr is a reputable company with great quality guns.

According to the user manual, there's a break-in period of 200 rounds. I decided to take it out to the range and put in a hundred rounds. The gun is a blast to shoot. It's well balanced with it's size, weight, and firepower. The sights took a little time to get used to. It seemed to shoot 2 inches lower than what you have line up. I adjusted after the first 25-28 rounds. The gun never jammed or had any issues with feeding. Grouping was within a good range. The DAO trigger was interesting to me. It was nice yet strange to me. I modified my glock19 trigger to be about 3.5-4 lbs, so the 5-6 lbs of the kahr was a weird feeling. But it is very nice though and with practice it won't be an issue.

The only issues I have with the CM9 is the grips and the slide release. After putting a hundred rounds through it, my hand was pretty sore and short of getting blisters. The slide release was pretty tricky to use. I'm able to release the slide but it takes pretty good force. The slide release on my glock19 slid like butter, so the CM9 took a little while to get used to. The CM9 is not a range gun. The reason I got this gun is for concealed last resort carry, so I can live with it not being an ideal range gun.

Overall, it's a great gun with great firepower in a light and concealable package. Although it isn't quite the range/practice gun I'd usually like it to be, it definitely serves it's purpose as a last ditch carry gun. I am overall very pleased with this purchase and trust the CM9 as a CCW. :thumbup: I wouldn't hesitate to buy another kahr if it was in the right price range.

photo.jpg

wou42 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Iceman04503

Iceman04503 Portland, or Active Member

I picked up a cm9 on saturday at the gun show. I have yet to shoot it but will this sat. As for grip I was going to go with the rubber talon grip once talongrip starts taking orders again.

3. audi goodness

Yea I was looking into the talon grips as well. It seems like a solution to the cm9 grip issue.

4. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

if there is a round in the mag the slide release should be easy. you can simulate this by taking the mag out. It will be VERY difficult to release with the mag follower pushing up on the release, this is typical of the Kahr design because the pivot point gives the mag follower alot of leverage

5. audi goodness

Yea I noticed that it slides better with a live chamber but is still very stiff. I probably just need to break it in still... or lube it up more.

6. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Portland, Oregon Member

I have CW9, and I know exactly what you are talking about. DAO trigger does require some getting used to, but it's perfect for CCW, because there is no chance for misfire. I looked at other compact and sub-compact 9mm, like Ruger SR9C, even LC9, but neither felt good in my hands. Besides, I like the striker-fired pistols over hammer-fired ones, and single-stack over Double-stack. It's just my preference. I take my CW9 out to the local range almost every week, and love shooting it. If I get a chance, I may try other Kahrs like CM9 or PM9.

7. audi goodness

Yea just the concealability of the cm9 makes it so good. I'm thinking of getting the pearce grips and talon grips for more comfort at the range. i still have to put another 100 rounds through it.

Anybody know which store has cm9/pm9 magazines for sale? The store where I got my pistol didn't have them.

8. SecretAsianMan

I just ordered Pearce grip extension from eBay. I think it was about $14 fo two, no shipping fee. I am also thinking about getting Talon grip, but when I visited their site, they don't seem to be taking new orders until July. I am also looking into Tuff1 grips, though they are kind of funky looking. sootchoo on Youtube seems to be happy with his. Kahr's site also offers Agrip, custom fit, wrap around non-slip grip for each Kahr pistol series. You should look into all of these options and select what fits your need and preference. I bought a spare mag for my CW9 at Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters here in Portland. You can always try Kahrs website, and other online shops like Bud's Gun Shop and Cheaperthandirt.com.

9. Iceman04503

How much was the spare mag?

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I ordered two seven rounders from Brightwater, took them about 3 days to get here and cost was $30 each.

I found that I shot the P45 better than my CM9 and I don't mind the extra weight and size. I have lasers on both those Kahr's too. Guess I'll keep carrying the P45.

11. audi goodness

Thanks guys. I can order online but I was hoping to just walk into a store and just buy 1. But I guess 3 days isn't too bad. I'll have to check it out.

12. Iceman04503

Im gonna call nwarmory and keiths tomorrow and ask if they have the cm9 mags. If I can find some for $30 im gonna buy it.

13. SecretAsianMan

Don't have the receipt for it, but I believe the one I bought from Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters was less than $30. Please note it was the mag for my CW9. Give them a call for price and availability.

14. audi goodness

Dang all those places are in Portland. Can't find any place here in Seattle area. haha...

15. Iceman04503

I called Wholesale sports. Fisherman's marine. Nwarnory. And Willamette valley arms and none had cm9 Mags. Keiths has some for 35. I'm gonna pick up 2 tomorrow.

16. audi goodness

Nice. I think I'm going to have to order mine online. I can't find a place locally that sells just the 6 rounder. They have the 7 round mag but I don't like the way it sits. I'd rather have a 6 round with pearce grip extensions.

17. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

My pm9 came with a 6 and a 7 rd mag. I noticed that after adding the pinky extension to the 6, the gun was no more concealable than with the 7 rd. installed. I think any Kahr 9mm mag will fit your gun..cw, pm, p, ect. so might want to check classifieds here for some. I found 2 cw's and 1 p a while back for a good price.

18. Iceman04503

Took the gun to the range for the first time today. Man does this thing shoot low. At 25ft it shot about 6inches below where i was aiming. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this for me, but there is a noticeable gap between the barrel and the slide. Pics below. Maybe this is why its shooting too low.

7428127188_63b7207ca4.jpg
    DSC02476 by Iceman04503, on Flickr

19. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

My pm9 looks exactly the same and shoots dead on. Don't know...

20. Iceman04503

I wish I can adjust the elevation.