JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was time for a new cleaning rod because my old one was just about finished. It was just a crappy rod I had picked up in a cheap universal kit quite awhile ago. I went with the below from Hoppes...Carbon fiber rod, ball bearings in the handle, ergonomic weighted grip and 8 inches long which is just about the perfect size (that's what she said!). :D

Well worth the $27 IMO if you happen to be looking for a new pistol rod.

31AMr-HAzAL._AC_.jpg

I've heard great things about these one-piece rods, I really need to pick one up. I have an Otis Elite kit but honestly I think I prefer the rods.

It was time for a new cleaning rod because my old one was just about finished. It was just a crappy rod I had picked up in a cheap universal kit quite awhile ago. I went with the below from Hoppes...Carbon fiber rod, ball bearings in the handle, ergonomic weighted grip and 8 inches long which is just about the perfect size (that's what she said!). :D

View attachment 658963
Nice.
Instead of buying a cheap kit with stuff you'll never use, get a good rod with a couple of tips for about the same cost.
I use the Pro Shot which is another good one and it will last a lifetime. (about $20.00)
I don't know how they make a profit on these at that price.
Being machined and micro-polished.

65multi.jpg

Last Edited:
I went with the Pro Shot pistol kit as well, works for all my CF handguns, and the kit case fits in my range bag. Have a couple of Bore Snakes for my rifles, got them for range use, they also fit in my range bag. Used mostly for my Mini 14, cleaning that with a rod is a shop project since you can't run a rod from the breech. Fortunately, the thing just runs, no matter how dirty it gets, but when I DO give it a thorough cleaning, project is definitely the right word :eek:. Later.

Dave

I didn't realise there was an advantage to the brush being allowed to turn freely in the rifling until i got my Gunslick one piece carbon rod - very beneficial cleaning change and i had no idea how much i was fighting the rotation until i got one, so much easier to clean now.

It's almost identical to the rod the OP posted, and i would buy it again in a heartbeat, never using anything less now if i can help it.

Changed to the same thing for my rifle cleaning as a result, here's the large bore and length version of my pistol rod.
419LAwQxpBL._SL1000_[1].jpg

I've heard great things about these one-piece rods, I really need to pick one up. I have an Otis Elite kit but honestly I think I prefer the rods.
I'm sitting here kicking myself for not getting this sooner for $27. It's so much nicer to use than the cheap one I had. But I get that rods aren't for everyone. Some like like the ropes and the cables. YMMV. :)

I didn't realise there was an advantage to the brush being allowed to turn freely in the rifling until i got my Gunslick one piece carbon rod - very beneficial cleaning change and i had no idea how much i was fighting the rotation until i got one, so much easier to clean now.

It's almost identical to the rod the OP posted, and i would buy it again in a heartbeat, never using anything less now if i can help it.

Changed to the same thing for my rifle cleaning as a result, here's the large bore and length version of my pistol rod.
View attachment 659075
Note that if you go to gunslick.com it takes you to the Hoppes website. I'm guessing Hoppes bought them out and changed the color. It's the same design except for the color and branding. I kinda like the blue a little better. :rolleyes:

Note that if you go to gunslick.com it takes you to the Hoppes website. I'm guessing Hoppes bought them out and changed the color. It's the same design except for the color and branding. I kinda like the blue a little better. :rolleyes:
That makes sense, the elite branding seems to be other companies (hoppe's elite cleaner is mpro7). Also explains why I don't seem to be easily find gunslick stuff recently.

My .22cal rod is made by Tipton, but it was just an availability thing at the time, it's equally as awesome in operation. Think I'm going to pick up the MTM storage case for the rifle rods, just a bit easier to store.

I just used the cheap multi-piece rods for cleaning. Wasn't too bad for pistol, and for the most part my rifles. Then I tried to clean my 1:7 upper for my AR. With a 20" barrel and that fast of a twist, it literately twisted the rod apart when I pushed the brush down the barrel. Not long after that I got a single piece carbon fiber rod from Midway.

Boresnakes work great but you do have to launder them occasionally--and be sure not to mix them with anything you don't want the copper brush section to shred. Even at the range, after using a boresnake, I follow up with (at least) a dry patch run through with a rod, just to make sure the 'snake didn't leave anything behind.

View attachment 658963
I have a Hoppes and a Tipton for rifles. Hoppes spins freely and won't unscrew the tip. Tipton does not spin freely, tip will unscrew in rifle barrel.

That's weird, my tipton carbon BB rod is as free spinning as the GunSlick, so i can only assume that 9x19's is faulty.

I swear by the Pro-Shots, I Use them for everything, and they make an especially good chamber and action cleaning system for rifles!
They make a 16 inch non spinning rod specifically for chamber cleaning, and they will also clean piston bores exceptionally well! Bonus is they use very robust jag inserts that really last!

I keep Bore-Snakes in my Pistol Grips or under the butt on those rifles that have those capabilities, really handy to have for field use!

I like that Carbon Hoppes set up for bore protection, but find it flexes too much for longer barrels, anything over 17 inches!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top