JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My new Colt Defender arrived yesterday.

Last night I took it apart for cleaning and lubrication. I also RTFM (Read The Frickin' Manual).

Disassembly is made slightly more difficult due to the lack of a rotating bushing to release the pressure on the recoil spring - this means I had to fight the spring tension on the slide to remove the lock pin. It took a few tries to get that done (and a few more to re-assemble).

Today I took just a few minutes at lunch to wander down to my outdoor range for some test firing. I also took my Commander for comparison. Only had time to run through 4 or 5 mags at 10 and 15 yards, so it was far from a comprehensive evaluation. I'll add more later (including a photo or two), but for now let me just say that it shoots magnificently. Recoil is similar on both; the Defender is a bit louder, but my 10 yard groups were tighter and more on target with the Defender than with my Commander. Since it will be my carry gun, that's reassuring.

Also got my first scratch on it (top of the slide, perhaps from re-holstering) so I'm glad that's out of the way and I can stop worrying about it. It's a tool, not a museum piece.

It feels good on my belt. Not too big, and it hides well.

I had one Failure To Feed, which I think was due to a poorly seated round in the magazine (gotta remember to tap the mags).

More testing is needed, but I'm very pleased so far.

170131_Defender.jpg

Nice Colt! Does yours have the double guide rod and springs? if so, it takes a paper clip type tool to make disassembly much easier! My colt and Kimber both have this set up! It can be done with out, but takes a lot of pressure to take it down!

Nice Colt! Does yours have the double guide rod and springs? if so, it takes a paper clip type tool to make disassembly much easier! My colt and Kimber both have this set up! It can be done with out, but takes a lot of pressure to take it down!

Yep. That's what this has, but I'm unsure where to stick the paperclip/pin to hold it in place. I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top