JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this gun for distance and some long range fur animal hunting. Not necessarily for big game but that may come.That would be in the 500yd and less category
What I tried to figure out,but real hand loaders get carried away with more than my little brain can handle,is,is there a bullet or design that is better at longer ranges than others?
I guess boat tails are what I am looking at and there are some with different SD and weight distribution.
Are some powders better for longer ranges? Is there really much difference in primers? Yes I will be using magnum primers.
And last of all,do you have favorite brass? Just use the commercial brass from factory ammo?
Again,these are questions with long range shooting with hunting kind of secondary
This is a brand new Remington 700 Long range Rifle (hoping the cool name makes it super accurate.lol)
Thanks
Mike

I once had a Rem 700 Classic in 7MM mag and it was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. I recall finding the 140 gr Nosler BT ballistic tip the most accurate bullet for it. I can't recall the load but it might have been with IMR 4350 powder. Regardless it was a tackdriver.

I found quite a few articles and 4350 was a favorite for sure.
139-140s and the 160s were favorite bullets with the Nosler partitions being a top pick
That will give me a starting place.Still need money for glass first,lol

I think he meant for Elk.
Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Elk Backstrap

Directions
  1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
  2. Season backstrap pieces with liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Wrap each piece of meat with a strip of bacon, and place on a metal skewer.
  3. Cook the elk on the preheated grill until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, and the meat has cooked to medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes.

Dunno how far out (distance) it will hold true, but my dad's been reloading 7mm RM since the late 70's for his Remington 700s (as well as mine and my brother's 700s). It's always been a hunting round he was using it for (elk, deer, and bear), but it was by far the most accurate he ever got in testing and so far that's held true for me trying it out to 500 yds with my CDL Stainless Fluted and my ADL (with el-cheapo plastic stock and sporter barrel). Anyway, it might at least give you a starting point - I plan on using it myself as a starting point when I start reloading this fall.

Powder: IMR 4831 - 58.4 gr
Primer: CCI 250
Case: Remington
Bullet: Sierra SBT (#1920) - 160 gr
Est MV: 2800 fps <-- my tests from a 26" sporter barrel have been +/- 30 fps on this number

I'm planning on playing around with some various 140gr and 160gr myself - the one thing that's always bugged me a little about the Sierra SBT's is that the tip is soft and never seems to be perfect. Of course at <300yds, I've never seen a little bit of tip damage as the determining factor why someone hasn't hit an elk with one (bull fever and stupid mistakes aside :eek:).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top