JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Instapundit » Blog Archive » IN MS. MAGAZINE: My Month With a Gun: Week One. ?Yes, I bought a handgun and will carry it everywh?
Now I am sorry, but if looking at an unloaded gun is going to freak you out, then you should have never, ever bought it.

Tony is the LGS salesman -
"Tony told me a Glock doesn’t have an external safety feature, so when I got home and opened the box and saw the magazine in the gun I freaked. I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion. This was the first time my hands shook from the adrenaline surge and the first time I questioned the wisdom of this 30-day experiment."

My Month With a Gun: Week One

Other than taking a class for CCW there are no laws that you must take a handgun class - there is actually no law that at least in oregon that I am aware of that you prove any type of profficency with a hand gun. I am willing to bet that there are alot of people that carry with little if any more training than this lady. I do not agree with this logic but they are doing absolutely nothing wrong. If the law came out and said you have to have XX hours every two years of hand gun training there would be a major outcry from most gun owners. Cant have it both ways.

James Ruby

I saw this also. I applaud her for doing this. I also hope she finds a mentor or some training to make her safe and perhaps find some joy with firearms ownership. Shame on the gun shop owner for not taking an opportunity to give some basics to her and direct her toward some friendly training.

This just might be the start of a new ally if done correctly!

I left a comment on the website. I encourage others here to do this also lest the naysayers there keep her on the dark side.

I saw this also. I applaud her for doing this. I also hope she finds a mentor or some training to make her safe and perhaps find some joy with firearms ownership. Shame on the gun shop owner for not taking an opportunity to give some basics to her and direct her toward some friendly training.

This just might be the start of a new ally if done correctly!

I left a comment on the website. I encourage others here to do this also lest the naysayers there keep her on the dark side.

Look, she's not going to be an ally. She's already determined the outcome of this hit-piece, and it won't be suprising. She's a blogger with an agenda, just like all of the anti's.You're not going to sway them with logic or first-hand experience like she's claiming to be aquiring.

She's not representative of an actual person (either man or woman) who would actually buy a firearm for their own purposes. She is not interested in becoming proficient, safe, and responsible for her own protection. She's merely using the gun and the story as a backdrop to promote her anti-gun agenda.

I would love to see this same story run from the POV of a woman who, like this woman, had no experience with guns - but unlike this woman, was actually interested in learning about them, and was interested in keeping the gun after 30 days. This woman, very obviously to me at least, is interested in neither.

-Thirtycal

Shame on the gun shop owner for not taking an opportunity to give some basics to her and direct her toward some friendly training.

And how do you know the shop owner didn't offer her training? We're hearing this story through the author's filters; which are specifically chosen to support her agenda. For all we know, the shop owner could have begged her to take training... and that would be the last thing she'd actually want to write about since that simple fact would destroy her argument.

And why a Glock? That's stupid! Any amount of research at all would have pointed her towards something with a chamber indicator, or a hammer, or at least a striker indicator. Do you think she went in asking for a Springfield XD? Likely, she knew an XD was a better choice for a first timer, but chose a Glock anyway.

No blogger is under any contract to write about the truth. In fact, most bloggers, ironically, write about exactly the opposite. This one is no different.

-Thirtycal

Ok, so much for taking initiative here and making an attempt to show the shooting community is not all knuckle dragging rednecks like they assume. If we all just give up on the antis as not reachable we have lost the war.

Maybe she will take a class shoot that thing, and realize guns are as safe as their operators. I bought my first handgun 20 years ago had no idea how it real worked and it scared the hell out of me. The thought being it could go off anytime, that maybe the hammer couldn't hold the pressure. Now 20 years later, much training and shooting and many more purchases later. I could never imagine not having a cocked and locked ccw on me.

Maybe she will take a class shoot that thing, and realize guns are as safe as their operators. I bought my first handgun 20 years ago had no idea how it real worked and it scared the hell out of me. The thought being it could go off anytime, that maybe the hammer couldn't hold the pressure. Now 20 years later, much training and shooting and many more purchases later. I could never imagine not having a cocked and locked ccw on me.

Did you read her article?

"Me, lead gun policy protester at the 2010 Starbuck's shareholder meeting. Me, a board member of the Brady Campaign. Me, the author of a book about the impact of gun violence, Beyond the Bullet."

"It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway. The whole thing took 7 minutes. As a gratified consumer, I thought, "Well, that was easy." Then the terrifying reality hit me, "Holy hell, that was EASY." Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms."

"In some way, I feel a certain vindication. I was right to protest Starbucks policy. Today, they have a woman with absolutely no firearms training and a Glock on her hip sitting within arm's reach of small children, her hands shaking and adrenaline surging."

Lead gun policy protester, board member of the Brady Campaign and an author of gun violence, give me a break.
This girl will never warm up to her "stylish Glock", that right there should tell you something. She didn't even buy any ammo.

At the risk of appearing sexist…Who steps on this lady’s spiders for her?
From the looks of her picture, the draft of an opening door would knock her
down before she could draw her piece. And her pistol hanging out there as
an open invitation for anyone to grab is laughable.:s0114:

This article makes the case for concealed carry. I feel open carry is basically
grand standing. Kind of like open pipes on an automobile (Hey! Look at me.):s0131:

*Tune in tomorrow for further adventures of "Ms.(BS) Blogger", which will no
doubt involve a child and a negligent discharge...(Pass the pipe).:rolleyes:

Jack...:cool:

Anyone that sees this "article" as an open-minded attempt to "understand" guns(written by a woman that wrote an anti-gun book apparently YEARS prior to even attempting to understand firearms. There goes any chance of a fair playing field.) was probably fooled by The History Channel's "Mermaid" show.

This idiot writing an "open-minded" piece is as believable as David Duke writing an article on why blacks and whites should live under the same roof.

Shes an anti gun advocate moron.
Under the guise of "well Ill try carrying/ owning a firearm to see if it changes my mind".. But we all know full well she/he already has their mind made up.

Its absolutly absurd. As for purchasing, one can purchase saws, hammers, knives, gasloline, pressure cookers, salt peter and MANY other compounds one could use to make an explosive without an ID at all let alone a background check. Secondly, lets see her commit any kind of crime then try to purhase a firearm/apply for a chl.. I bet itd be a different experiment.

All in all its the same thing over and over with them. They cant comprehend that 90% of all firearm owners are fairly well trained and st the very least experianced with their firearms and would be more than comfortable using one to defend ones self.

Take for example her idea to approach an officer while he was engaged in an investigation (speeding ticket) horible idea.

For myself, firearm ownership goes hand in hand with pro firearm advocacy. Its a defensive and if need be an offensive lifestyle. I live it every day, following MOST laws that are semi logical that dont totally impair me from defending myself if need be.

My favorite is "What if a bad guy just takes the firearm away from you" comment.. Lmao, then they follow up with "we need to learn martial arts.
Every time I read those types of comments I picture an 80lb stick figure frizzy skunk haired woman with some kind of turquoise or hemp jewelry or a jaundice skinned malnourished liberal male wearing a sweater vest and skinny jeans who also must only weigh 105lbs saying those kind of comments.

I, to sit anywhere public choose the corner most area with a visual on most if not all entrances. Second, distance. I never let someone into my personal space or behind me unless Ive got a plan ready made out to defend myself. When I go in to shake a hand, watch my left hand, i always reach towards something.. I may never have to use that something.. But what ever it is, I always carry it. Folks who are anti firearm will never understand, And sadly as history always repeats itself it turns out to be those people who genocide and atrocities generally happen to. Because they werent aware or defensive enough to fight off evil. I havent any pity for those who willingly choose not to defend themselves.

Look, she's not going to be an ally. She's already determined the outcome of this hit-piece, and it won't be suprising. She's a blogger with an agenda, just like all of the anti's.You're not going to sway them with logic or first-hand experience like she's claiming to be aquiring.

She's not representative of an actual person (either man or woman) who would actually buy a firearm for their own purposes. She is not interested in becoming proficient, safe, and responsible for her own protection. She's merely using the gun and the story as a backdrop to promote her anti-gun agenda.

I would love to see this same story run from the POV of a woman who, like this woman, had no experience with guns - but unlike this woman, was actually interested in learning about them, and was interested in keeping the gun after 30 days. This woman, very obviously to me at least, is interested in neither.

-Thirtycal

With very careful instruction and prodding, she may overcome her fear, and open her eyes. Yes, at the present moment she is an anti looking for argument excuses to have our laws changed. I also left a comment, and very carefully informed her that the reason there is no government mandated training, is the government recognizes one size does not fit all. There is a difference between me, who has carried for 43 years, and safely handled firearms for almost 60 years, and herself, who has no experience. I also suggested she take a basic training class just for people like her that have no experience so she will be more confident, and less afraid of her carry. I also commented on the fact that to openly carry a weapon shows that you are able to protect yourself, and most of those that would do you harm, will just leave you alone because most criminals are lazy cowards and do not want to encounter someone that can defend themselves.

This is an opportunity for the gun crowd to educate, let's not loose it.

PS: Bet you the weapon is empty...:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top