JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

Yesterday at the Bend, OR location they had three bricks of .22 ammo that were priced at essentially a 'scalper' price of $59.95 per brick. I was told it was Winchester and this is typically around the $22.00 - $24.00 price at any one of another large retail outlets. I consider this price gouging and a retail store with as large a 'footprint' as Big 5 has should not resort to 'street level scalping' - regardless of the availability. Unfortunately a friend of mine bought one at that price and was disappointed to discover later he could buy online for less than half that amount from a large online distributor and have it shipped freight free. As a gesture of goodwill I am asking on my friends' behalf you refund him 50% of his purchase price.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

Big5 was like that even before the scare, they usually have 22 on hand because they want way too much. I guess the y eventually sell it, because sometimes it is not there. A few days ago,when was in for something else, I saw some on the shelf. I asked the guy how much, he chuckled and said, you don't wanna know. It was Winchester 222 count and they wanted $39.95 for it. He said someone would buy it. Around Christmas, my friend told me that Big 5 gets it every Friday, and when I went to check it out, there was a line of over thirty people. And all they got in was two bricks of American Eagle 400 count box.The first two people grabbed them for $79.99 ea. :s0001:

Last Edited:
Big 5 was family owned, I think, until a year or so ago.

I've spent about $100 in that store in 20+ years.:(

The reason; The son was a trophy hunter, and corporate office lobby in White City was FULL of stuffed animals, including a 10' polar bear....made me sick the few times I went into their office on business.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was going to go back in to see how the new owners outfitted the lobby, and maybe spend a few $$ there, but sounds like there is no need.

Good Letter!!!:D:D

As much as I hate paying $50-80 for a "brick" of .22 LR that cost $20 a few years ago, that's how a free market works - the demand for .22 LR ammunition exceeds its current supply, so the price goes up.

The ammunition manufacturers are - by their own reports - cranking out .22 LR as fast as they can and I don't doubt them, since they can sell every cartridge they make, and more. The retailers are just taking advantage of the market by raising the price, just as they will - eventually - take their lumps when the panic-buying of ammunition stops (say, sometime in Jan-Feb 2017).

Protesting to the retailers won't change economic facts - the only thing that will change the price of .22 LR is to stop buying it every time it shows up on the shelf.

Only progressives believe there is such a thing as a "fair price" - the reality is that there is the price you are willing to pay and the price the seller is willing to accept. If it's not worth the price, don't buy it; that will drive down the price.

Jim

As a long-ago employee of said company, I can assure you that you won't get satisfaction from them. They make their money off shoes and such, and could care less if they upset hunting and shooting customers. They know they still sell shoes cheaper than almost anyone else and people will continue to support them in that department. Kudos to you to writing and telling them that you disagree with their pricing, but chances are all it will get is a belly laugh out of the corporate staff and summarily round filed.

The unfortunate matter is that value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for said item. Until gun owners are willing to pass up overpriced ammo, then there will continue to be a market for it. And if there's a market, there will be companies and individuals willing to sell to that market.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People can remove their tin-foil hats about government conspiracies and pretty much lay the .22 shortage at the feet of these three issues:

1. Gun owners are hoarding. I have seen old men who admit they haven't fired a round in years go to Bi-Mart every morning on delivery day to add to their stash of ten's of thousands of rounds. Meanwhile, the guy who works for a living and can't get to the big-box store when they first open is generally left out.
  2. People are buying not only from distributors, but from other stores in an effort to resell the ammo at a ridiculous profit. Whether they sell it on Gunbroker, at the local gunshow, or in their own retail establishments, most of us have seen the 500 round brick of .22 priced from $80 to $1000.
  3. The third issue goes to the heart of the OP's post. Some people, either out of fear, ignorance, or impatience, are willing to pay whatever to get .22 ammo. Unfortunately, this is the main issue, as without these consumers, the market for overpriced ammo would shrink or cease to exist completely and the availability would soon increase.

At the moment, at least in terms of ammo shortages and price increases, gun owners are their own worst enemy. Sure, the government whispers on occasion to whip up a fear frenzy, but gun owners are doing a lot of the damage to themselves. Until that stops, the market won't stabilize.

The only good thing about the high price is if you actually need to get some 22, there might still be some in the store. For guys like me that don't always think ahead, it's a good backup plan.:rolleyes:

Why don't you be a pal and let the folks here know what online retailer has it in stock for less than half what your buddy paid?

If you see any good .22 LR (Wolf Match, SK, CCI Standard, etc.) for what your buddy paid please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Big 5 was family owned, I think, until a year or so ago.

I've spent about $100 in that store in 20+ years.:(

The reason; The son was a trophy hunter, and corporate office lobby in White City was FULL of stuffed animals, including a 10' polar bear....made me sick the few times I went into their office on business.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Does this mean you don't like Sportsman's, Cabela's or the Smithsonian? ;)

Personally I wish all the retailers would raise the price to about $40-$50 a brick. If they did it would end the so called shortage. Soon enough there would be so much on the shelf that they would be selling it for $15 a brick just to move it. The issue currently is $20 a brick does not reflect the true price, $35-$40 is more like it. As long as stores continue to sell it for under market value there will be a secondary market. There is plenty of .22lr out there, matter of fact I think it's safe to say there is currently more .22lr ammo in private hands than there has ever been by a large margin.

We are at the end of the road for high priced .22. It's run its course. I think within a year you will see sane prices and plenty on the self

So who goes into Big 5 anyway? Someone gets to punch me in the nose just once before I stopped doing biz with him. Do they really think they are going to try to rip me on ammo and then sell me shoes or camping gear? I don't think so.

End of.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads