JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always loved knives. I've always loved to make things. I decided to try to make some knives. Heres the first one all the way down the the latest. (There are more, but these are my favorites) The first ones I made from files, the later ones made from 0-1 steel. The little one (Mr. Thingy) was made from scraps from the bigger chisel ground tanto. The problem now is that I've spent so much time learning to make knives, I didnt learn to make sheaths. SO now I have a bunch of sharp edges laying around with no sheath. So now I need to decide if I want to learn to work leather, or kydex.

kydex is easy. leather takes more time ...i would rather have leather feels better, kydex is way to taticool and so 1990's, i like #4 the best neck knife kinda thing, your begining to see that knife designing really happens when you get to the grip/ gaurd area

I'm thinking leather too. Its more classy, and can last a long time, if well cared for. I see what you mean about the importance of the grip guard area. A small change there can change the whole look and feel of a knife.

Leather works best for carbon steels as kydex wears the finish, but conversely I use kydex on all my stainless knives. Not sure how far you are from Eugene OR. but we have a free meeting first Thursday of every month at the wood craft store on coburg road. The "5160 club" has members that range from novices with no experience to some of the most distinguished knife makers in the business. Last months meeting was a demonstration on sheath making by ABS master smith Wayne Goddard. If you are serious about learning how to make quality knives or just need a few pointers this is the place for you...

Thanks guys! Jer fly, what time is that meeting? Thats definitely something I'd like to go to!
The push dagger went to my son-in-law who just completed jump school! Hes on his way to SF selection, so that push dagger may go in harms way. I found a molle cell phone holder that I lined with kydex for a good "snap" fit. Worked out perfectly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top