Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My introduction to pistols

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rick49, Aug 30, 2015.

1. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

This is where it started circa 1950's or there about.

image.jpg

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah every kid back in the day had a six shooting cap gun blasting away at bad guys in their yard or neighborhood park.

Now you get shot for that.

Crazy times we live in.

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was never much of a wheel gun kid, I preferred the semi-autos. I had one micro-shooter very similar to this:

il_570xN.485047733_ii2e.jpg

Also had several that used the plastic strip caps that were semi-auto style, but, alas Google has failed me in finding an image like the one I had :(

Took the little ones (I had several mini cap guns) to school all the time. Was never a problem back in the 70's - we would play with them on the playground, shooting at each other. Man, it's too bad those days are gone.

4. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

My favorite toys were the Mattel guns which looked, felt, and loaded just like Colt Peacemakers; greenie stick'em caps on the base of the cartridge, attach the projectile and load them into the chamber. Man, I fanned the living heck out of those pistols.

Brutus57, U201494 and etrain16 like this.
  5. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We had the ones that we called FBI guns. J frame 38 or something like that. At sleepovers, we'd have gunfights well into the night. Loved the flash from those with no lights on.

Caveman Jim and etrain16 like this.
  6. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

etrain16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Man, that takes me back! Used to love those things. Then for some reason it became fun to try and make them go bang with just rocks. We would try to stack a bunch of them and see if we could make a bigger bang. And, of course, that led to throwing them into a fire. When I was ten I drilled out holes in a softball and stuffed a bunch of 22 shells into it, coated it with gas, wrapped it in duct tape, lit it, and ran like hell! So many times I look back on that I could've won a Darwin award. :rolleyes:

8. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just lucky I couldn't find any more powerful ammo in the house at the time.

druiseeker and boogerhook like this.
  9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oh yeah, whacking roll cap rolls with a hammer! Now that was a satisfying bang!:p

10. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

A box of roll caps and a rock:D. Good times!.

Pops1911, Brutus57, Phillyfan and 6 others like this.
  11. Hybrid Slave

Hybrid Slave Medford Member

I dressed up as Indiana Jones one year for Halloween. I was about ten years old. I used my paper route money to buy a very real looking toy double action revolver like Indy's, that took the big cap rings.

Still followed basic handling rules learned in Cub Scouts

Teachers didn't bat an eyelash back then.

brokenarrow and Caveman Jim like this.
  12. P7id10T

And once when I ran out of cap rolls, got the bright idea to go into my dad's dresser and get his 22 shells. Started whacking them with a hammer on the driveway. Last I remember is dad scooping me up mid swing. I'd bet it probably took a week to sit down comfortably.

13. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

still recall a neighbor kid putting .22s in straws and tossing them up in the air so they would land primed end first and go bang, also recall him not being out most of the summer he did that since one landed in his dad's pickup bed and did some minor damage.
    Think we all had those cap guns back in the day and no one got shot by the cops because they "looked like a real gun". Then again in high school half the cars in the parking lot were farm kids farm trucks with a 12 ga and a .22 in the window rack and no one cared.

14. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 Did that more times than I can count. Very satisfying.

A bit later, a friend and I took an expired 30-06 cartridge and stuffed match heads we'd torn off into the case. We packed it full until it couldn't hold any more. Then we strapped it down on top of a pirate pistol cap gun in place of the barrel. My friend used a lighter to set it off - it made a huge boom, very cool. It went well until the time he forgot to screw the barrel bands down and the shell kicked back into his face, narrowly missing his eye. It was the last time we pulled that stunt.

We also used to build rockets using nothing more than some paper towels, some gasoline and some empty 2 liter bottles. Man, we had some fun - and did it all with common household items. And no internet anywhere to teach us how to do it, just good old-fashioned American boys with great ideas ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Brutus57, Phillyfan, jim97701 and 3 others like this.
  15. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Picture a bunch of boys crowded around an old abandoned box car where a nickle is propped up on the wooden side and then a .22lr single shot rifle pushed up against it.
    After the trigger is pulled, the nickle gets turned into a cool thimble.
    At no time did we ever think about where the bullet ricocheted off too, just a mad scramble to find the nickle in the weeds.
    Funny how a simple cap gun eventually leads to a pellet gun and then after swearing to be always be careful, a .22 rifle is entrusted to a young boy.
    It's always amazes me that my friends and I came out in one piece back then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  16. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

True Dat, cap guns were the "Gateway Gunz"!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

17. Sgt Nambu

Yeah! And the lefties have just about eradicated them!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. Sgt Nambu

A bit of a sad story. A kid down the street filled a can with match heads and gunpowder from .22's, sealed it up good and drilled his fuze hole! Poor kid staggered into his house, squirting blood, collapsed into his mothers arms and died! He had caught a piece of shrapnel in his heart! Even worse, the mother went of the deep end and was nearly catatonic for the rest of her life. I barely new him, he was older, and his little brother was my friend. Kids dad was a dick, before and after the tragedy so it pretty much destroyed the family. So sad!

Phillyfan and Caveman Jim like this.
  19. P7id10T

You also look through the scope with the sinister eye. It ain't right!

20. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

LOL ROFLMAO!!!!!:oops::oops::oops::p:p:p:D

41Slinger likes this.